Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 05-24-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
sid201
sid201 began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin v3
any one else have this problem?

Hi ,
I'm sure this is a problem with the file rather than the reader, but I'd like to see if anyone else is having this issue.

With about 4 books I've down loaded off the same publishers site I can read to page x (same page every time-different page each book) and instead of turning to the next page I'm returned to the bookshelf(or what ever you'd call it)

To make it worse these are book's I'd paid for and are all in series I've really got in to,email to the publisher has either been unanswered or reply's have been stopped as spam( possible but unlikely)
I've tried phoning but got pissed off when I either stayed up until early am or got up as oh my god it's early(time zones a bugger) just to get an answering machine

any help or advice would be good

cheers all

SID

edit-should mention that I've many downloads from this publisher with no problems-

Last edited by sid201; 05-24-2009 at 03:20 AM.
sid201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:45 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid201 View Post
Hi ,
I'm sure this is a problem with the file rather than the reader, but I'd like to see if anyone else is having this issue.

With about 4 books I've down loaded off the same publishers site I can read to page x (same page every time-different page each book) and instead of turning to the next page I'm returned to the bookshelf(or what ever you'd call it)
Unfortunately, that is a problem that I have experienced more often than I would like with the Hanlin based firmware. When the book parser comes to a segment of the book that it can not parse correctly it just crashes the whole system, or returns to the bookshelf if you are lucky. So it really amounts to a problem of interaction between the reader AND the book file. If you want to stick with the Hanlin firmware you could try converting the book to another format with Calibre or Book Designer and hope that the reader does not come across any format commands in that format that it does not understand.
Since the OI firmware does not crash like that in my experience, that is what I use.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2009, 04:35 AM   #3
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
I have the same problem with many files when using Hanlin/BeBook/LBook firmwares. After reading a few pages I often get sent back to the bookshelf.
Some users say it is because Hanlin ships crappy batteries instead of the original Nokia battery. I will buy one to see if it changes anything.

No problem with OpenInkpot: I can read a long book normally.
Too bad OpenInkpot cannot read PDF in landscape mode, cannot reflow PDF files, and does not read .doc files, though.
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:16 AM   #4
sid201

I have most of my books on Mobipocket as I'm not too keen on the Pdf format. what format do you guy's use?

Dave_S what OI firmware are you using?
how much of a hassle is it to change the firmware? I'm prertty much a use out the box guy
Old 05-24-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
IgnareAcademy
Banned

Problem solved with this new great firmware from Ukrania:
http://lbook.com.ua/downloads/V3upda...20090409-2.rar
It is very simple to change the firmware: copy the V3update.bin to your SD-card, then put it back in your Hanlin, turn it off. Then press the + key on the right side and the on/off key at the same time and wait until you hear a beep. Then remove your fingers from the keys, wait until on the screen it tells you to press OK to install the new firmware, then wait a couple minutes, then press OK again to reboot.
Always recharge the battery before changing the firmware!
Advert
Old 05-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have most of my books on Mobipocket as I'm not too keen on the Pdf format. what format do you guy's use?
I use mostly epub and fb2. I have converted all my Mobipocket, Palm Reader, and PDF books to one of those two formats.

Quote:
Dave_S what OI firmware are you using?
I am using the pre-0.2 20090326 snapshot from:
http://openinkpot.org/
The install instruction are on that site as well, but the install is actually just like installing Hanlin based firmware.

Unlike a lot of the Hanlin based firmware releases, which usually perform more like an untested ALPHA release IMHO ( or at best an early BETA ), the OI firmware, even in it's snapshot releases, just works as advertised. At this point, it is lacking some features the others have, but it is far more stable and error free, in my experience.

Quote:
how much of a hassle is it to change the firmware? I'm prertty much a use out the box guy
It installs exactly like the factory firmware releases, and any factory firmware release can be used to replace it if you do not like it. You just put the V3UPDATE.BIN file on a 2GB or less FAT16 formatted SD card (not SDHC), and boot into the bootloader according to the instructions provided. That will load the new firmware, and you are good to go.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
IgnareAcademy
Banned

Well, I thought my problem was solved but I was just reading a book on the SD-card and suddenly sent back the the bookshelf of the built-in storage!
Which never happens with OpenInkpot.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:45 AM   #8
sid201

if I install open inkpot can books still be read on the mobi format?
Old 05-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #9
IgnareAcademy
Banned

Yes...
Old 05-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
if I install open inkpot can books still be read on the mobi format?
Yes. Providig they are DRM-free. FBReader also does not handle MOBIs high compression mode, but this is rarely used for fiction. If you come across this, Calibre can convert the MOBI to ePub for you and FBReader will then read it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:21 AM   #11
sid201

OK - I've installed open inkpot--and I'm quite impressed-I'd wish for different fonts but no worries--only major issue is that when I try to turn the v3 off I get a page of blah blah ending with the line
Requesting system power off
and nothing happens

can anyone tell me how I screwed it up this time ?
I'll be reinstalling the hanlin firmware until I know what's wrong ,but i think I'll return to this soon
Old 05-27-2009, 06:35 AM   #12
IgnareAcademy
Banned

There is nothing wrong. OpenInkpot does not delete the screen when powering off, to save a little bit of energy.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
OK - I've installed open inkpot--and I'm quite impressed-I'd wish for different fonts but no worries--
You can also add your own fonts if you do not like what you have now.
http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Fonts

Quote:
only major issue is that when I try to turn the v3 off I get a page of blah blah ending with the line
Requesting system power off
and nothing happens
It is an eInk screen, so unless it is purposely cleared to nothing then the last text just stays there indefinitely.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
sid201

ok -how do I clear it?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #15
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Why would you want to do it?

I don't turn mine off at all, actually. There's no need.
idle is offline   Reply With Quote