Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
For the Christie Fans - Abridged Finally?

Ran into this article and got me thinking

Solving Agatha Christie mysteries, but in fewer pages

Quote:
Thirty-two years after Christie's death, the first shortened version of one of the English writer's mysteries appeared this spring - an 88-page "Death on the Nile." It was published as part of the Penguin Readers series, which is intended for students of English as a second language and young readers.
Now, I love the Dame's work, and am usually all for anything that would bring her work to more people, this did strike me with a little shudder because of this thought...

Most of my life I've loved reading and books, but the only time managed to develop a dislike or even loathing for a book or an author was when it was required reading or more so when it was "taught" to me.

What I fear is that using this book as a mere teaching aid, especially if teachers are not careful may end up driving later generations away from the beauty of her writings. Or worse, not see it beyond the confines of the simplified text.

While I have to admit that I do get stumped by the occasional french phase (as I don't understand a lick of it )her language is usually not that difficult to comprehend. Does it really need that much simplification?

So tell me fellow MR's, do you think I'm overreacting a little, or do you feel some apprehension is justified?

And probably the Most Relevent question for MR, will there be E-books?
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Condensed" books are an abomination, IMHO .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2008, 02:33 AM   #3
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I just dont get the point of shortened books - it just isn't right. Fortunately there are not any of those over here in my language - students read 'regular buuks' in school - and survive nicely

I have never read any of the abridged versions, but can imagine it necessarily takes away from the feeling/atmosphere/character development. Essential parts of enjoying the book - I'd say forcing students to read abridged books does nothngn to show them the joy and enjoyment or reading for pleasure. It fosters kids that *proudly* state that they've never read any other book than what they were forced to read in school, and can't understand others that do enjoy reading for fun.

Ok - off my soapbox...
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I
I have never read any of the abridged versions, but can imagine it necessarily takes away from the feeling/atmosphere/character development. Essential parts of enjoying the book - I'd say forcing students to read abridged books does nothngn to show them the joy and enjoyment or reading for pleasure. It fosters kids that *proudly* state that they've never read any other book than what they were forced to read in school, and can't understand others that do enjoy reading for fun.

Ok - off my soapbox...

That does kind of sum up my fear's. And with the way reading of books has gone down (purely empirical from my own observation of my generation as opposed to my parents) I do worry about anything which could reduces interest in reading.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
good god, abridged CHRISTIE ???? with all the subtle red herrings and clues that were there all along but you didn't notice them and character developpment and atmosphere ??? what are they going to cut out ? and how do they think they'll cut things and retain the original spirit ?? and why cut it at all, to start with ?? it's not bleedin war and peace, sheesh !!! and it's not James Joyce, either ; i can't imagine anyone would have any difficulties apart from the occasional "old" word or reference to a custom not familiar to them... some discussion or a note would help there.

but then, in general when i hear the word "abridged" my hair stands on end and i start muttering "vade retro satanas !!!"

lord preserve us. abridged christie. what is the world coming to.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

lord preserve us. abridged christie. what is the world coming to.
Amen!
Old 09-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
There are simpler books out there already. What would be the point of assigning someone to read a butchered version of anything?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
One of the major themes of Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 was the progress of subtle language expurgation and abridgment leading to full censorship. In the late 1970s, Bradbury was informed by a group of students that the book itself was being edited for language. In a corrected edition, he added a Coda with some great comments about how such abridgments remove the character and style of an author so one author reads like any other.

He goes on to suggest that any group that does not care for his style or language is welcome to write their own books. Sadly, I do not remember the specific lines (and all my books are in moving boxes at the moment), but WikiQuote did provide this:
Quote:
If teachers and grammar school editors find my jawbreaker sentences shatter their mushmilk teeth, let them eat stale cake dunked in weak tea of their own ungodly manufacture. -Ray Bradbury, Coda to Fahrenheit 451
The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
There are simpler books out there already. What would be the point of assigning someone to read a butchered version of anything?

I always preferred reading abridged versions of Bible stories (all that begatting and preachifying - who needs it ).

What about classics like 'Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare' - butchered versions?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Twisted Tales from Shakespeare was hilarious. I think those count as an original work, as well as (sort of) an interpretive aid. In a way.

Well, they're funny, anyway.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Don't abridge short books. Just, no.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so it seems we are all agreed. who wants to tell the publisher just how wrong this idea is ?
Old 09-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #13
vampmiller
Enthusiast
vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kobo aura, kindle voyager.
Why 88 pages? Can be done in 20 words:

Poirot on cruise. Simon and Jacqueline kill Simon’s wife for money. Commit suicide when caught. Everyone else gets dysentery.

People point the finger at ebooks being the death of books, when it's things like this.
vampmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

hey !! spoiler !!

(seriously though. you never know, someone might not have read the book yet. please do use a spoiler tag for that.)
Old 09-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #15
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
There is a market for these type of books especially in the learning disabled community. Older students who do not have the necessary abilities to tackle an unabridged Christie novel would possibly enjoy an abridged edition. It would allow them at least a taste. If your reading ability is 5th grade (10 years old) then much of the really great reading is too difficult and most books written at a 5th grade level are too juvenile for teenage and adult readers.

Just because it may not be to your taste, I certainly wouldn't read an abridged version, remember that there is an audience for abridged/simplified versions of classic books.

/rant

I have a 14yo son with serious learning disabilities and welcome materials such as this. I'm not offended by any of the remarks just wanted to point out that there is an audience for this.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote