Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #106
duydangle
Connoisseur
duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW|PW3
Thanks for feedback I decide not to upgrade my Paperwhite 2.
duydangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #107
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hEist View Post
We got Goodreads, finally. But it isn't possible to update my status (i've read until ....%) automatically?
No. At least I couldn't find any update status function. All I could find was sharing a quote. And rating a book once you finish.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #108
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
The ghost collections are unbelievably annoying .... I've owned quite a few Kindles over the years - and have deregistered many - but all the collections on my current & deregistered Kindles appeared on my PW2 - what imbecile came up with this idea? I certainly will be sending an email to jeff@amazon.com - words fail me!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #109
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
The ghost collections are unbelievably annoying .... I've owned quite a few Kindles over the years - and have deregistered many - but all the collections on my current & deregistered Kindles appeared on my PW2 - what imbecile came up with this idea? I certainly will be sending an email to jeff@amazon.com - words fail me!

While they are extremely annoying I can tolerate the Ghost Collections, however it is the greyed out books showing on the device that is very frustrating. Why separate between the cloud and device if you are going to show all the books in both sections? Why on earth would the developers think this was a good idea?
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #110
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I don't understand why the UK is excluded from Goodreads either.
I'm not sure this will help you but it did me. After a couple of restarts and not seeing the "g" on the menu bar, I turned the device off and back on with the button and the icon appeared.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #111
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
You folks deciding not to upgrade to the Paperwhite 2013 and Fire HDX 2013 with the latest firmware are missing lots of FUN.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #112
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Has anybody tried deleting collections on Kindle for PC/Mac?
I haven't updated my PW2 yet, but when I open Kindle for Mac it gives me option to import collections from my previous two Kindles. I am now deleting them from Kindle on Mac, but I don't know if they would be permanently deleted and not imported after update on PW2.

Edit: No, that didn't help. After deleting them they show up again if I click on import again.

Last edited by Lady Stardust; 11-20-2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: additional info
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #113
fearindex
Addict
fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle(s)
Just updated my PW2 to 5.4.2. I like the new Collection covers, but as I don't use Collections pretty much at all I have no issues with Cloud collections.

I have Goodreads and FreeTime - I have an Amazon.com account, but an international (European) country set there. Goodreads is there with the G logo.
fearindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #114
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Has anybody tried deleting collections on Kindle for PC/Mac?
I haven't updated my PW2 yet, but when I open Kindle for Mac it gives me option to import collections from my previous two Kindles. I am now deleting them from Kindle on Mac, but I don't know if they would be permanently deleted and not imported after update on PW2.

Edit: No, that didn't help. After deleting them they show up again if I click on import again.
The Kindle for PC/Mac apps supposedly only import collections from other Kindle devices. It does not seem to import from the Cloud Collection. Deleting collections from the Kindle for PC/Mac apps should therefore not affect the Cloud Collections. I tried importing collections into Kindle for Mac app but it only imported some from my PW2, and not all of the collections I have on the PW2. Plus it gave them weird names by appending "@en" to end of each one. So "History" was changed to "History@en" in Kindle for Mac.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #115
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
You folks deciding not to upgrade to the Paperwhite 2013 and Fire HDX 2013 with the latest firmware are missing lots of FUN.
Lemme think...

- I don't use Goodreads so couldn't care less about integration (not available to the UK anyway);

- I only have the PW2 so have no use for the Cloud Collections sync (it doesn't sync to K4PC or the android app so chocolate teapot really as far as I am concerned) Given that I always keep the wifi off, CC would just be irritating rather than useful - I buy my books from Amazon but sideload them after a quick tidy-up. Calibre is where I organise things, my PW is purely for reading on;

- No kids so no use for Free Time.

So, erm, no I don't think I'm missing out on anything
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #116
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Lemme think...

- I don't use Goodreads so couldn't care less about integration (not available to the UK anyway);

- I only have the PW2 so have no use for the Cloud Collections sync (it doesn't sync to K4PC or the android app so chocolate teapot really as far as I am concerned) Given that I always keep the wifi off, CC would just be irritating rather than useful - I buy my books from Amazon but sideload them after a quick tidy-up. Calibre is where I organise things, my PW is purely for reading on;

- No kids so no use for Free Time.

So, erm, no I don't think I'm missing out on anything
Side loaded books won't work with the Cloud Collections anyway. Books and docs have to be emailed to or sent to the Cloud before the Cloud can place them in collections. So in your case the Cloud would be of no benefit as far as collections even if you wanted to use it.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #117
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Side loaded books won't work with the Cloud Collections anyway. Books and docs have to be emailed to or sent to the Cloud before the Cloud can place them in collections. So in your case the Cloud would be of no benefit as far as collections even if you wanted to use it.
I know - thanks to you all being the guinea pigs . Which is why really I can't think of a single reason why I'd want to do the update
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #118
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
FUN???

I just created a collection and added some books. and noticed 536 PAGES of items on my device...HUH??? I have less than 20 items, but it is showing almost 5000. And there is no way to separate cloud from 'on device' on that adding page.

Every time you go to delete a collection, a message pops up. First, about it being synced, second about not being connected (if wifi is off)

Every time you want to create a collection, a message pops up. "turn on wifi?" "collection not synced"

Every time you want to add an item to a collection, a message pops up. "Content Not Synced." - and I will get this EVERY time because I side load ALL of my books.

This is about as fun as cleaning up a row of porto potties after a weekend bluegrass festival.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #119
tashk
Hello, I'd like to know w
tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Paperwhite 2013
I wonder if it might be possible to avoid automatic updates by filling the Kindle with so much data that the remaining capacity would not be enough to download any updates. For example, the current update is 177 MB. If I fill it with enough data to leave only 150 MB free, that would still be enough to add new books, documents etc. but should avoid the update. Untested, but an idea for those who don't want to give up WiFi functionality just to keep version 5.4.0.
tashk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #120
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
FUN???

I just created a collection and added some books. and noticed 536 PAGES of items on my device...HUH??? I have less than 20 items, but it is showing almost 5000. And there is no way to separate cloud from 'on device' on that adding page.

Every time you go to delete a collection, a message pops up. First, about it being synced, second about not being connected (if wifi is off)

Every time you want to create a collection, a message pops up. "turn on wifi?" "collection not synced"

Every time you want to add an item to a collection, a message pops up. "Content Not Synced." - and I will get this EVERY time because I side load ALL of my books.

This is about as fun as cleaning up a row of porto potties after a weekend bluegrass festival.
Holy crap! (Or unholy crap if you prefer.) I only have a few hundred items in the cloud and those have rendered collections on my PW2 nearly useless due to all the pages I have to scroll through to find stuff. I cannot even imagine the horror of having 5000+ items! All I can say is the SEARCH function will get used a lot. Plus the neighbors will most likely learn a few new curse words when they overhear me expressing my outrage at Amazon's idiot programmers.