Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #31
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Once an applicant submits the online application for BPL, they send an email with an electronic version of the nonresident card, complete with barcode number and instructions for creating a pin number, paying the card fee (credit card only) and submitting State I.D. for verification. They offer the options of faxing or emailing a copy of I.D. (I simply took a photo of my driver's license and emailed that).

The email further states that, "You will have full access to the Library 3 days after payment and I.D. are verified".

Actually, the whole process probably took less than an hour before I was checking out titles (15 out at a time, 10 for hold).

They're mailing my actual library card separately.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #32
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post

As far as getting the New York Public Library to link a Brooklyn card purchased by an out of state borrower, I don't think they will allow that, even in person. But, then, I thought that you really had to go in person to get any privileges.
How would they know it's an out-of-state card?

Anyone who lives, works or attends school in New York State is eligible for a NYPL card. There could be many such cards around.

I was wondering how they "link" the cards. Is it automatic or only in person?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #33
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I suppose that, in theory, they could ask for ID, or they could do a computer check to see if you had any outstanding Brooklyn fines, at which time your New Jersey address might show.

Someone like you or me, from fairly nearby out of state, could try it. However, I have no plans to be in New York until late January.

Quote:
I was wondering how they "link" the cards. Is it automatic or only in person?
Definitely not automatic. Here's what the New York Public Library web site says:

Brooklyn and Queens residents are still welcome to apply for a New York Public Library card.

Additionally, as a courtesy to other New York City library users, Brooklyn Public Library and Queens Library cardholders may use their existing card, once it is linked to The New York Public Library. Visit any NYPL location in person to link your card.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #34
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They may have a set-up for that differentiation. Apparently, NYPL's barcode consists of 7 numbers. My Brooklyn card has 11 numbers and both have 4-digit PINs. It could be that a Brooklyn resident also has a 7-digit account number, and non-residents get 4 extra

OK, that's pretty far-reaching, but FWIW, none of the libraries in my state allow 'linking' from one city to another. All privileges are free, but one has to apply in person at every single library across the state.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #35
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
It seems both Brooklyn and NYPL have similar policies and systems. According to the NYPL's website, all temporary cards have 7 digits. The permanent ones have 11 which you receive after validation. This you did by email. NYPL allows this also.

The difference is Brooklyn allows out-of-state while NYPL does not. So I wondered if NYPL checks to see if Brooklyn cardholders are out-of-state residents that do not work or attend college in NY.

Quote:
When you apply for a card online, you will receive a 7-digit temporary barcode. This allows you to set a PIN, place circulating items on hold or submit requests for research items from offsite storage. To receive your permananent barcode, which is required to borrow materials, download eNYPL content, search Library databases, or reserve a computer, you must validate your card. See the next section for information about validating your card.
Quote:
Cardholders from areas of NY State outside of the Metro NY area may email scans or copies of the required forms of identification to patronaccounts@nypl.org. Alternatively, this information may be faxed to (212) 621-0278.

Last edited by Fbone; 10-10-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #36
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
All privileges are free, but one has to apply in person at every single library across the state.
Pennsylvania is similar, except that there generally is one library system per county.

When you go to an out of county Pennsylvania library, and take out books for the first time, they either give you one of their cards, or link your out of county bar code into their system. In my experience, if they link your home library card, it will not work for Overdrive in their county. But if they give you one of their cards, it will almost always work for Overdrive.

New York State is a little different. They have no general guarantee that every state resident can use every public library, even for paper books.

I have no idea whether a linked Queens or Brooklyn card would allow borrowing New York Public Library eBooks. Is there any New York City resident here who can easily check?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #37
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Does anyone know if a non-resident card (another country) allows for full
access to the ebooks at Brooklyn Library? I've written and asked them but so far there's no reply. I'm really keen to get a membership at one of these libraries before they decide to withdraw them to non-residents, which seems to be happening in some cases.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #38
DianNC
Banned

I just called the Brooklyn Public Library for you and they informed me their non-resident memberships are limited to the U.S. only.

Sorry.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #39
brdwygurl
Connoisseur
brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Not an ebook.....but another perk to the Free Library of Philadelphia is their "freegal" music service. You can download, and save to your computer 3 free songs a week from the sony catalog. They have all kinds of music, including current hits

checkout the link under music downloads http://search.freelibrary.org/digitalmedia.cfm

Use your FLP card and pin

Last edited by brdwygurl; 10-13-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling
brdwygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #40
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdwygurl View Post
Not an ebook.....but another perk to the Free Library of Phildadlephia is there "freegal" music service. You can download, and save to your computer 3 free songs a week from the sony catalogue. They have all kinds of music, including current hits

checkout the link under music downloads http://search.freelibrary.org/digitalmedia.cfm

Haven't actually noticed this. Thanks for the heads up. MP3 DRM-free sounds good.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #41
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel View Post
Does anyone know if a non-resident card (another country) allows for full access to the ebooks at Brooklyn Library?
That's what the web site says:

Quote:
Our out-of-state customers enjoy benefits such as access to our extensive selection of Articles & Databases and collection of free downloadable e-books, audiobooks, video, and music. . . .

Our international customers enjoy the same benefits as our out-of-state customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I just called the Brooklyn Public Library for you and they informed me their non-resident memberships are limited to the U.S. only.
Until they change their web site to stop mentioning international customers, I think people can reasonably hope that answers will vary.

Katel -- how long ago did you email osbplcard@brooklynpubliclibrary.org?

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 10-13-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #42
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
DianNC thanks so much for phoning the Brooklyn Library for me ., it was very nice of you to do so And SteveEisenberg I emailed them about the full use of their ebooks about 4 days ago.

Now I am really really confused. Their website indeed allows for international members and this is the response I had to an earlier email I sent them a week or so ago -

"Thank you for your interest in obtaining a Brooklyn Public Library Card.
We accept international request but they are done through our
Circulation Department. " Then they went on to explain what to send them, which is as has been posted above.

It seems there could be a lack of communication within the library itself ,I don't know. Or - gulp - they are about to do what Singapore Library has just
done, withdraw the international membership. Could be I'm on another horse that's bolting. Anyway I'll email them again and try to get some clarification.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #43
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel View Post
DianNC thanks so much for phoning the Brooklyn Library for me ., it was very nice of you to do so
You're welcome. The young lady at the information desk put me on hold while she checked on my question with someone else. When she came back on the line she answered as I posted above, but she didn't sound confident so I pressed her a bit and she repeated that the non-resident cards were restricted to applicants residing in the U.S.

Good luck. From the website info, it sounds as if she may have been wrong
Old 10-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #44
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdwygurl View Post
Not an ebook.....but another perk to the Free Library of Philadelphia is their "freegal" music service. You can download, and save to your computer 3 free songs a week from the sony catalog. They have all kinds of music, including current hits

Apparently one of my local libraries subscribes to this as well, but I don't know my PIN, so I'm going to have to call them to get access...

Did you notice the Freading service? FLP (and my local library) offer this and apparently you get 2 tokens a month to "rent" books with (Adobe DRM EPUB and PDF). Looks like most of the books cost 1 or 2 credits although I saw several Dilbert books that were 4. It's unclear if the credits expire at the end of the month or you can build them up. I got a Dilbert book with my FLP credits. Once I get my PIN from my local one I should be able to tell more.

Update: Figured out my local library's PIN and logged into both Freegal and Freading with it. Looks like Freading is run by the same people as Freegal. I have 5 credits on that Freading account, but since this is the first time I've logged in there, I'm not sure if those are built up or new (I've been a patron of this library since January 2011).

Update 2: Updated the post to indicate that the tokens aren't used to "purchase" the book, but more to "rent" it. From the FAQ:
Quote:
The Adobe Digital Editions software will limit your access to each ebook for a 2 week initial period. You can extend the loan period for one 2 week period by going back to the book display on the website and hitting the download button again. You will see that the token value has decreased since the initial loan. Most renewals are free.
As an example, the Dilbert book I got for two tokens lets me renew for free. The Dilbert book I got for 4 tokens lets me renew for 1 token.

As far as the number and value of tokens, the FAQ says this:
Quote:
Tokens are a virtual currency that you use to exchange for downloads. Your library gives you a weekly allotment which appears in the upper right hand corner of the home page after you login. When you choose a book, the amount of tokens labeled on the book is deducted from your account.

There are three different token costs of a book, downloads cost 4, 2 or 1 token depending on the value assigned by the publisher. In most cases newly published books are 4 tokens, then after a time period they drop to 2, and then after another time period they drop to 1. So in general, the token value is based on how new a book is. In some cases though, a publisher may have chosen a different criteria such as popularity.

Unused tokens roll over each week for a four week period, a week being defined as a Monday to Sunday period of seven days, beginning at 12:01AM Monday, New York time, and going to midnight on Sunday. At the end of the fourth week from the time you first logged in, unused tokens are cleaned out of your account, except for your original weekly allotment. The rolling over process then starts all over again, as a new four week cycle has begun. Your subscribing library decides the amount of tokens that users will have in their weekly allotment.

Last edited by hwlester; 10-14-2012 at 02:00 AM.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #45
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm also waiting for answer from Brooklyn, and checking other libraries. Katel have you by any chance tried Houston library?
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote