Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
silkcom
silkcom began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Understanding LRS format

Does anyone know how the LRS xml format works? I'm looking for it's capabilities, and examples on using it.

Specific needs:

I need to be able to make a file that has Headers, normal fonts, code fonts, images, and possibly <HR>'s.

Do you know how to do these with an example LRS file? Or know where i can get some LRS files that have examples like this. Book Designer would work, except it doesn't work with images (that I know of), and I'm not really ready to install bookCreator. I'd be most interested in documents that explain the format, and example files that use the format to it's capabilities
silkcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkcom View Post
Book Designer would work, except it doesn't work with images (that I know of),
Yes Book Designer does work with images. Just not inline images.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
why dont you use html2lrf?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
silkcom

Ok, sorry I mean inline images. I need to be able to have images in the middle of text.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
silkcom

I'm maining interested in understanding the limitations of the format. I'm a programmer and would like to make a BBeB editor that actually works and is Open Source.
Advert
Old 09-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Does anyone know how the LRS xml format works? I'm looking for it's capabilities, and examples on using it.

Specific needs:

I need to be able to make a file that has Headers, normal fonts, code fonts, images, and possibly <HR>'s.
html2lrf support all this. Code fonts can be the fixed width font.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
silkcom

I know it does. I'm just interested in understanding the format
Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
silkcom

Or does no one actually understand the LRS format?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You mean outside of Sony? You may very possibly be onto something there, silkcom.

I think scotty1024 may have understood it, but he doesn't seem to come around much anymore.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #10
silkcom

wait, can html2lrf convert from html to lrs?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yes, use the --lrs switch.
LRS specification is available at www.prslabs.com.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #12
silkcom

igorsk you're a genius. Thank you.

The website has a PDF on it that goes into every aspect of the .lrs format (in case anyone is interested in the future).
Old 09-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm maining interested in understanding the limitations of the format. I'm a programmer and would like to make a BBeB editor that actually works and is Open Source.
Why? BBeB is not a good format to store books in. So it would not be a good idea to encourage people to post process LRF files. I have toyed with making an opensource LRF *viewer* but haven't found the time do it yet.

Incidentally most of the LRS Spec, as well as the conversion from LRS->LRF (which is not documented by SONY) is defined through an object library pylrs, which is part of libprs500.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 09-12-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
You mean outside of Sony? You may very possibly be onto something there, silkcom.

I think scotty1024 may have understood it, but he doesn't seem to come around much anymore.
I think there are a few more of us that know our way around the format
Old 09-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yes, of course! I didn't mean to imply that scotty1024 was the only one! He just leapt to mind mostly because I knew he'd been working with the format since the Librié days.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote