Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
YvonneA
YvonneA began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
Descriptions/Series Not Showing on Nook

Hi There -

I've skimmed through the forum to see if anyone has had this problem but really didn't come across anything. I use Calibre to convert my ebooks from .pdf's to .epub's. At the same time I customize the books using Calibre to where they show the description and also show what book number they are if they are part of a series as well as having the series name show as well.

After I transfer the books to my Nook Color all of this information is lost so I end up with a series of say 6 books and just by looking at the titles I can't tell which book is 1st, 2nd, etc. If I have several books on my reader I can't tell which book belongs to a specfic series.

This is really driving me crazy as I've tried everything possible and cannot get this information to appear on the Nook. Does anyone have any ideas or fixes on how I can resolve this?

Thanks,
Yvonne
YvonneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Here is the Calbre forum where you can post your question:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166

They are extremely helpful there
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The long and the short of it, is that the nook doesn't accept that info from Calibre. Nothing you can really do about it, except recreate them, by hand, on the nook. Blame B&N for not implementing a way to create collections info over USB.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You should be able to edit the titles, so that the series is part of the title. E.g. "Long Series 01 - Beginning of Story".
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
This is also true of the Sony. I simply use the collections list of Sony's reader software and do the proper sequence of the books there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
The long and the short of it, is that the nook doesn't accept that info from Calibre. Nothing you can really do about it, except recreate them, by hand, on the nook. Blame B&N for not implementing a way to create collections info over USB.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
after editing a file i believe you have to convert it again, so i would edit the meta data of a book then will re-convert it to epub even though it's already an epub and that will save it with the new info and upload to my kobo.

not sure how other readers are but that'd be my guess as to why the titles don't even show.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Cfrizz, I think you misread me. Sony does support collections creation over USB. Calibre, and the official Sony software, simply uses tags and the Series name & order for making collections. The nook does NOT allow for this. The nook simply does not have an API capable of allowing software on a computer that it is connected to create collections, and also ignores all metadata from the epub file except for Title and Author. Collections have to be manually created on the nook itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
after editing a file i believe you have to convert it again, so i would edit the meta data of a book then will re-convert it to epub even though it's already an epub and that will save it with the new info and upload to my kobo.

not sure how other readers are but that'd be my guess as to why the titles don't even show.
Depends on how you edit it. By default, calibre creates a new opf and drops it into the directory that the book is in. It does this because not all formats allow for metadata, and it will allow calibre to manage metadata in one file, rather than updating them all the time. You should be able to use some of the options such as the metadata plugboard to tweak things though, if you find that your kobo is not getting the metadata that is used in the calibre library.

Last edited by Hellmark; 06-06-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
I created a metadata plugboard in the preferences that inserts the series title and number ahead of the book title when it send to my Nook.

Quote:
Format [Any format] Device [Nook_Color]
Source template: {series} {series_index:0>2s} {title}
Destination Field [title]
When a book goes to my Nook instead of just being named with the title (Storm Front) it starts with the series information (Dresden Files 01 Storm Front). Then, I just search by series name, sort alphabetically by title, and they're all in the correct order.

Best part is this makes it so you don't have to rename all of your books in Calibre, because that would probably take an obnoxious amount of time. The plugboard just makes it all automatic.

Last edited by Nahgem; 06-07-2011 at 03:18 AM. Reason: clarification
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote