Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
gunilla
gunilla began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab S
Epub-problems in tablets

Although my epub-file validate without problem in http://valildator.idpf.org and everything seems okay in Adobe Digital Editions there are problems in my tablets. In the app Aldiko in Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 no images show up and in the app Bluefire Reader in iPad Air every page is empty, no text, no images, nothing? What is this due to?
gunilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Going to need to see an example of your html/css code for us to deduce whats wrong...I haven't quite developed my far-seeing or mind reading skills to that level.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I agree with turtle91. Please attach an example of an epub that shows those issues. if it is copyright, look for scrambleebook either as the calibre plugin or the standalone version and then post the scrambled version. I'm going to assume that since it is your epub, DRM is not going to be an issue.

See ScrambleEbook: Getting help with copyrighted books for the calibre plugin or this thread for the standalone version:Scrambling copyright ebooks to help troubleshoot problems ??? .

And, please, do not post the same issue in multiple places.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-05-2019 at 03:06 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:34 PM   #4
gunilla

I have now installed Adobe-ID in BluefireReader and then the images appeared. I don´t know why I need Adobe-ID when inte is a file I have made myself. However, it works. But there is still problems to get the images in Aldiko. I have written to Aldiko support but has not get any answer yet.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Moderator Notice
Please stop double-posting and double-following-up on your double-posts.

Pick one thread (this one or the one in the Sigil forum) and stick with it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunilla View Post
I have now installed Adobe-ID in BluefireReader and then the images appeared. I don´t know why I need Adobe-ID when inte is a file I have made myself. However, it works. But there is still problems to get the images in Aldiko. I have written to Aldiko support but has not get any answer yet.

If you should get an answer from Aldiko, please post it, I'd be interested to know what they say, having also experienced issues in that app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:58 AM   #7
gunilla

I haven´t got any answer from Aldiko.

The best app for reading my epub-files in the android tablet seems to be Google Play Books.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:

The best app for reading my epub-files in the android tablet seems to be Google Play Books.
Try PocketBook:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ader&hl=en_419

It has two rendering engines: ADE 3.x and WebKit 5.12.x.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #9
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Thanks for trying. I was curious, because I've had the same issues with images and Aldiko. I used to have image issues with several other Android apps, but reducing the pixel dimensions of the images helped with the others. I assumed that Android developers figured most folks would be using phones and might not need large images, but I was using a 300dpi resolution tablet at the time.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #10
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Try PocketBook:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ader&hl=en_419

It has two rendering engines: ADE 3.x and WebKit 5.12.x.

Yep, I like Pocketbook, generally does a good job, at least on Android. For some reason it is running very slow on iOS when I recently tried it though. Ages to load a book.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Aldiko refuses to display images over a certain pixel count. I'm not sure what the exact figure is, but my rule of thumb is to restrict the shortest dimension of an image to 1000 pixels.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:12 PM   #12
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Aldiko refuses to display images over a certain pixel count. I'm not sure what the exact figure is, but my rule of thumb is to restrict the shortest dimension of an image to 1000 pixels.

I figured it was probably something like that. I had a similar issue with several other Android apps (Bookari was one, don't remember which others now) and decreasing pixel size to have images at no wider than 1500 px and no taller than 2200 px solved it.

But, given that I have a 300dpi 10" tablet, I really wasn't interested in decreasing size further just for Aldiko. They need to move into the future as far as I'm concerned. I like clear, sharp images.

The above 1500x2200 pixel limit is not quite enough to be top quality on my tablet for a full page image, I can notice it, but it's relatively negligible. But a max of 1000 px could definitely look degraded. What the actual Aldiko limit is, I don't know, I did try going a little smaller, but had no luck.

What bothers me about Aldiko in particular is that if you have a book where, say, there's an author page and a nice resolution image is included and set to a percentage of the screen width, Aldiko will not only not show the picture, but won't show the page text either! That is something I've not seen in any other app, and it's disturbing!

I've written off Aldiko for myself as an Android reader.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:14 AM   #13
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yup. But WE don't get to choose what reader our audience will use. I keep Aldiko on my tablet to check compatibility.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #14
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Yup. But WE don't get to choose what reader our audience will use. I keep Aldiko on my tablet to check compatibility.

True, it has to be considered if making books for others, it's a popular app.

But I'm making books for me, so not a problem. I used to fuss and fuss, trying to have my books look nice on any Android reader app (in case I live long enough for them to become public domain) only to realize that so many apps don't even honor CSS, and I was probably shortening my life by worrying over it!

Now if my books perform properly in ADE, convert beautifully for Kindle KF8 and work perfectly in Apple Books, I'm happy. I'm probably going to do some of my dad's childhood books for my family, and that should cover them too.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #15
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
I'm being a curmudgeon and only doing epub3 for the books I make and of the various android ebook apps I've tried only PocketBook does a proper job. All of the others, moon+, librera, etc. do strange and different things. For example, for an asterism (those 3 asterisks for a scene break or pause) I'm using a short 1 px high hr and I've changed its color so it's a dark gray, to make it sort of subtle. Some don't display it at all, some display it the full line width. I use a lot of blockquotes for poems, letters, and whatnot, and those other ebook apps are messing up the space above or below them, while in both cases PocketBook displays things correctly. Sort of like Goldilocks and the Three Bears; PocketBook makes me go, "Ah, just right."
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote