Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-26-2023, 10:54 PM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Readers are not made to be turned off unless you don't plan on reading for a few days at least.
I just discovered that you can set the PocketBook not to turn off. But when I saw how much longer my battery lasts with the PocketBook completely off, I started turning off the Tolinos and Kobos as well.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 11:02 PM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
You can also set the boot screen logo/wallpaper to be the last page you were reading, so you're essentially reading immediately after powering the device on... although you'd be unable to turn the page for 5-6 seconds after powering on!
It takes a little over three seconds for me to go from completely off to reading the book (maybe it depends on the size of the book?). But I can turn pages right away. What takes 5-6 seconds is the ability to go the the menus.
Advert
Old 11-26-2023, 11:09 PM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've never turned off a single ereader in 12 years. But then the battery life has never been a priority for me with eink devices, as I only read at home.
The reason battery life is a priority for me is that I want to be able to use my eReaders for many years. Since Sonys seemed to have retained battery life much longer than most other readers, I reasoned that this was because they totally shut down after so many hours (15?). Also, it hit me when I realized that I hadn't charged my HD 3 for months (with light use) and it was still almost completely charged.

Some of my Sonys still have good batteries some 12-15 years on with (apparently) light usage.
Old 11-26-2023, 11:10 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I liked Sony's power off after 48 hours of no use.
48 hours. That's longer than I remembered.
Old 11-26-2023, 11:22 PM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
In this respect PocketBook is an example to emulate.

Of course you can customise the auto-off (between 10 minutes and 48 hours) and disable it if you want. Switching on from the completely off position is very fast (about 5 seconds, if I remember correctly) and you can choose the option to load the last page you were reading while it is switched on (and if you use KOReader you can also open the last book you were reading directly without having to go through the main menu of the device).
I haven't upgraded my HD 3 yet. I wonder if the hour settings are in the new software? My power shut-off settings end with 60 minutes (has none of the multiple hour settings). (Not that I would use them, just curious.)
Advert
Old 11-27-2023, 02:43 AM   #36
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I haven't upgraded my HD 3 yet. I wonder if the hour settings are in the new software? My power shut-off settings end with 60 minutes (has none of the multiple hour settings). (Not that I would use them, just curious.)
I am on software version 6.7. I don't remember if it is already in previous versions.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 02:47 AM   #37
Fithaly
Fithaly began at the beginning.

Device: none
Pocketbook's cool, but I've never had one myself. I heard they're pretty reliable, especially the Inkpad X Pro for e-reading. If their Android app worked well for you, might be worth a shot! Maybe check some reviews to be sure,
Fithaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 03:15 AM   #38
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I confirm that it is limited to 60 min on my device as well, FW 5.20.

I've been looking for ways to make it longer. So far I've found that editing /ebrmain/config/settings/power.json I can add more times to the list of options. The format is
Code:
        {                                                                       
                "id"            :       "auto_power_off",                       
                "title_id"      :       "@Auto_off",                            
                "icon_id"       :       "ci_power_off",                         
                "control_type"  :       "list",                                 
                "values"        :       [                                       
                                                        ":0:@Off",              
                                                        ":1:@10min",            
                                                        ":2:@20min",            
                                                        ":3:@30min",            
                                                        ":4:@60min",            
                                                        ":5:@90min",            
                                                        ":6:@120min",           
                                                        ":7:@180min"            
                                                ],                              
                "storage"       :       ["${SYSTEM_CONFIG_FILE}, poweroff"]     
        }
where the original list ended at 4. The enum index is what is stored in /mnt/ext1/system/config/global.cfg as e.g. poweroff=4.

The strings after @ can even be localised in /ext1/system/language/xx.txt. However, that only added for me new entries to the menu; the maximal poweroff time remained 60 minutes. I wonder if these times are hardwired, or still configurable in a place I haven't found.

I'm aware that one option might be to set the time to Off and let KOreader handle shutdowns, but I'd be happier with an OS solution out of KR.

Last edited by EastEriq; 11-27-2023 at 03:20 AM.
EastEriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 03:46 AM   #39
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSteve View Post
Does anybody know how long it takes the Touch Lux 5 to boot, especially when there are a lot of books on the external SD card?
Quote:
Readers are not made to be turned off unless you don't plan on reading for a few days at least.
Be that as it may, such is my thirst for knowledge that I'd like to know anyway.
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 01:57 PM   #40
wold
Zealot
wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Lux 5, Libra 2, PRS-T2N
PBs are quite OK. I recall finding the whole UI/experience to be less polished (don't care however), but it has improved over the last year or two. It runs stable, though some older firmwares occasionally crashed during annotating. Annotation features are super BTW. And their database design/usage is good (bonus, small things to appreciate). I can only hope they keep it up, especially with a suggested Android move. One kinda gets to expect otherwise

My Libra 2 OTOH has more issues ever since I got it, especially when books on programming (=complex markup). Delays occur regularly, and one book* locks up consistently at chapter 2 leading to a reset. The Lux5 has no issues there. Perhaps they handle thing smarter, or are more powerful. For normal reading the Libra2 is quite OK however.

OT fun fact regarding Android: PBs such as the Lux5 briefly show up with a Google Vendor ID (18D1), disconnect, and return with the PocketBook VID.

Code:
[debug]  10461.906 17340  (C:\Users\****\avater\src\scanners\monitor_USB_win32.cpp:133) - device_monitor2::nativeEventFilter - Monitor received arrival of device interface: "\\\\?\\USB#VID_18D1&PID_0001#20080411#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}"
[debug]  10462.486 17340  (C:\Users\****\avater\src\scanners\monitor_USB_win32.cpp:216) - device_monitor2::nativeEventFilter - Got removed device interface... "\\\\?\\USB#VID_18D1&PID_0001#20080411#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}"
[debug]  10467.843 17340  (C:\Users\****\avater\src\scanners\monitor_USB_win32.cpp:133) - device_monitor2::nativeEventFilter - Monitor received arrival of device interface: "\\\\?\\USB#VID_FFFE&PID_0001#****#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}"

* of all possible books: "C++ High Performance"
It uses complicated table markup like:
Code:
<table id="table001-1" class="No-Table-Style">
      <colgroup>
        <col/>
        <col/>
      </colgroup>
      <tbody>
        <tr class="No-Table-Style">
          <td class="No-Table-Style">
            <p class="Table-Column-Heading--PACKT-">Traditional syntax with explicit type:</p>
          </td>
            <p class="Table-Column-Heading--PACKT-">New syntax with auto:</p>
          </td>
        </tr>
        <tr class="No-Table-Style">
            <pre class="programlisting code"><code class="hljs-code"><span class="hljs-keyword">struct</span><span class="hljs-class"> </span><span class="hljs-title">Foo</span><span class="hljs-class"> {</span>
  <span class="hljs-keyword">int</span><span class="hljs-function"> </span><span class="hljs-title">val</span><span class="hljs-params">()</span><span class="hljs-function"> </span><span class="hljs-keyword">const</span><span class="hljs-function"> </span>{    <span class="hljs-keyword">return</span> m_;   }  <span class="hljs-keyword">const</span><span class="hljs-function"> </span><span class="hljs-keyword">int</span><span class="hljs-function">&amp; </span><span class="hljs-title">cref</span><span class="hljs-params">()</span><span class="hljs-function"> </span><span class="hljs-keyword">const</span><span class="hljs-function"> </span>{    <span class="hljs-keyword">return</span> m_;   }  <span class="hljs-keyword">int</span><span class="hljs-function">&amp; </span><span class="hljs-title">mref</span><span class="hljs-params">()</span><span class="hljs-function"> </span>{    <span class="hljs-keyword">return</span> m_;   }  <span class="hljs-keyword">int</span> m_{};};
</code></pre>
          </td>
            <pre class="programlisting code"><code class="hljs-code"><span class="hljs-keyword">struct</span><span class="hljs-class"> </span><span class="hljs-title">Foo</span><span class="hljs-class"> {</span>
  <span class="hljs-keyword">auto</span><span class="hljs-function"> </span><span class="hljs-title">val</span><span class="hljs-params">()</span><span class="hljs-function"> </span><span class="hljs-keyword">const</span><span class="hljs-function"> </span>{    <span class="hljs-keyword">return</span> m_;   }  <span class="hljs-keyword">auto</span><span class="hljs-function">&amp; </span><span class="hljs-title">cref</span><span class="hljs-params">()</span><span class="hljs-function"> </span><span class="hljs-keyword">const</span><span class="hljs-function"> </span>{    <span class="hljs-keyword">return</span> m_;   }  <span class="hljs-keyword">auto</span><span class="hljs-function">&amp; </span><span class="hljs-title">mref</span><span class="hljs-params">()</span><span class="hljs-function"> </span>{    <span class="hljs-keyword">return</span> m_;   }  <span class="hljs-keyword">int</span> m_{};};
</code></pre>
          </td>
        </tr>
      </tbody>
    </table>
wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 03:45 PM   #41
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wold View Post
My Libra 2 OTOH has more issues ever since I got it, especially when books on programming (=complex markup). Delays occur regularly, and one book* locks up consistently at chapter 2 leading to a reset. The Lux5 has no issues there. Perhaps they handle thing smarter, or are more powerful. For normal reading the Libra2 is quite OK however.
I assume the books with issues were epubs? Have you tried to read them as kepubs?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:06 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
<pre> should never be used with eBooks. The text can end up flowing off the screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 01:50 PM   #43
wold
Zealot
wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Lux 5, Libra 2, PRS-T2N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I assume the books with issues were epubs? Have you tried to read them as kepubs?
Thanks! After kepub conversion the book works fine, no delays or lockups. The larger Libre2 screen is better for study, so this helps. I do wonder whether Pocketbooks use some on-the-fly preprocessing similar to these kepub tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSteve
Be that as it may, such is my thirst for knowledge that I'd like to know anyway.
For a Lux 5 cold booting takes about 10 seconds. That gets you to the home screen only. From sleep 2-3 seconds.

Pocketbooks rescan their files only after disconnecting from a PC. With my small SD card collection this takes about 5-10 seconds, sometimes longer. Note it doesn't read chapter-related metadata (like Kobo), so it should be reasonably fast.
In rare circumstances scanning can fail on a file, due to what seems to be bad metadata. This leaves the library partially updated until the 'problematic' file is removed. I encountered this once with a library lend book. (There is also a directory based browser). Perhaps this is less relevant here, but I don't want to appear too biased

Last edited by wold; 11-29-2023 at 03:07 PM.
wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 03:33 AM   #44
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wold View Post
For a Lux 5 cold booting takes about 10 seconds. That gets you to the home screen only. From sleep 2-3 seconds.

Pocketbooks rescan their files only after disconnecting from a PC. With my small SD card collection this takes about 5-10 seconds, sometimes longer. Note it doesn't read chapter-related metadata (like Kobo), so it should be reasonably fast.
Thanks for the information.
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 03:59 AM   #45
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
Switching on from the completely off position is very fast (about 5 seconds, if I remember correctly) and you can choose the option to load the last page you were reading while it is switched on.
Switching on the PocketBook Era...
Attached Files
File Type: avi Switch on PocketBook 1.avi (5.18 MB, 73 views)
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote