Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 02-23-2022, 02:34 PM   #1
tr_tr
tr_tr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Asus EA800 EEE NOTE tablet PC resources

Hi all,

I am still an active user of the Asus Eee Note EA-800. About 10 years ago there was a rather niche but active community on http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/
That site and a lot of resources are now gone. It was possible to install some additional software because it's a linux tablet. Not a full Linux OS though so not very easy to add new programs but still some useful and fun software was ported (e.g. music player, file manager, some games).
The reason for this topic is to gather information still available and keep this post up-to-date and hopefully someone will see the post and add stuff or information or resources as well. Also for my own future self.

As said a lot of resources are now gone but luckily there is archive.org so the site is still available to check some of the discussions.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150905...-android.1052/

It was very nice to see https://freenote.peterbarrette.com/ still working (previously freeenote.org) and it is even possible to download the installer and some software from there.
I haven't tried it out yet, because I am worried I will lose the programs already installed on my eee note. Unfortunately there is no contact-info on the site or I would have tried to contact the site owner for some help.
The installer should be able to download software from a repository but I have no idea if the repository is still active and as mentioned don't want to jeopardize my current setup before I am sure that it still works.

Great to have this available after all these years though and someone that owns an eeenote without the additional software or even one without the preferred language this is the site you need.

Next to above I found a forum with a post from 2019 with a link to a mega.nz folder with 4 Gb of eeenote software/firmware that someone posted and I am currently downloading https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=244419&st=80

Am I the only eeenote user left? If not let me know

Last edited by tr_tr; 02-23-2022 at 02:42 PM.
tr_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
maksym.kammerer
maksym.kammerer began at the beginning.

Device: Asus eee note EA840
Second Asus eee note EA840 user ;-)

No, you are not alone - I am second user of this fine piece of tech. And still astonished by the solutions implemented into it and it's ease of use .

I am wondering - why this type of tablet with monochromatic, no backlight screen didn't catchup? Is so similar to e-paper!

Maybe like Great Eastern - it was before it's time?
Like Sony Tablet P - foldable tablet also from beginning of 2010's (also am a proud owner ;-)).

Thanks for the resources - will go through them.

Mine I bought some 3 years ago secondhand - with some apps already installed. But looking forward - if I can find something new .

It laid in cupboard for way too long. The artificial leather of case was falling apart - only now I have devised a new case - from new old stock of Sony Xperia Talet S case - yellow one; they are nearly the same dimensions - so only some tweaking and some double tape to secure it was needed :P.

So now I am reviving it.

And greeting from Poland
maksym.kammerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 03:07 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/a...ablet-hands-on

It couldn't compete with full featured tablets.

It's interesting.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asus, ea800, eeenote, linux