Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #91
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeceo43 View Post
I'm so sorry, I don't know what you are asking here (I suppose use usbnetworking? which I know nothing about.)
USB Networking is one way to do this. You could also install kterm and access it from the KUAL menu. This will open a terminal window where you could enter "ls -l /sys/class/backiight/" and see what the response is. As NiLuJe suggested, he is interested in a pseudo-filename that can be used to control the backlight. From the behavior you are seeing, it sounds as if the PW4 uses a different name for this control interface than the PW3 does.

I hope that is helpful.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #92
homeceo43
Connoisseur
homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.

Device: Meebook P78 Pro, Likebook P6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
USB Networking is one way to do this. You could also install kterm and access it from the KUAL menu. This will open a terminal window where you could enter "ls -l /sys/class/backiight/" and see what the response is. As NiLuJe suggested, he is interested in a pseudo-filename that can be used to control the backlight. From the behavior you are seeing, it sounds as if the PW4 uses a different name for this control interface than the PW3 does.

I hope that is helpful.

Dave
Thank you Dave for the guidance.

NiLuJe, I could not figure out how to take a screenshot or copy this, so I took a picture (attached). Is this what you are looking for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kterm01.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	167820  
homeceo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2018, 11:44 PM   #93
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeceo43 View Post
Thank you Dave for the guidance.

NiLuJe, I could not figure out how to take a screenshot or copy this, so I took a picture (attached). Is this what you are looking for?
This worked for me:

"echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/bl/brightness"

"echo 1882 > /sys/class/backlight/bl/brightness"

I based it off the post from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=288547

Those were the min and max when I use the slider bar to go to min and max.

There is also a device called frontlight, but I cannot tell what it does
[CODE]
[root@kindle frontlight]# pwd
/sys/class/misc/frontlight
[root@kindle frontlight]# find .
./dev
./power
./power/control
./power/runtime_active_time
./power/autosuspend_delay_ms
./power/runtime_status
./power/runtime_suspended_time
./subsystem
./uevent
[/CODE
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:08 AM   #94
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@coplate: Thanks, that should do the trick .

Yeah, there's an extra thingy to toggle the nightmode-friendly frontlight behavior (among other things, possibly).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:54 AM   #95
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Apparently, they have added in more 'downlgrade' protection, in addititon.

This means that if you have upgraded to 5.10.0.2, or have a device that shipped with that, then you cannot downgrade to 5.10.0.1; You have to use the factory version that matches your installed code exactly.

This post is based on what the people who had with 5.10.0.2 reported, and I have updated y device to that version and confirmed.
Code:
181120:161817 OTAController[1270]: E FB02Bundle:FB02BundleValidationFailed:reason=IncompatibleVersion,deviceVersion=3341680009,bundleVersion=3337430015:IncompatibleVersion version
181120:161817 OTAController[1270]: E BundleValidator:validateBundle:valid=false,filename=/mnt/us/update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_v2_5.10.0.1_factory.bin:Removing update file
I attempted to remove the SP01 header, and then re-write the bundleVersion, but no luck, FB02 images Have to be signed now.

Hopefully this may encourage people to find a new jailbreaking method, that doesn't rely on the factory images.

Last edited by coplate; 11-20-2018 at 12:11 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #96
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Misc. notes

The contents of the version.txt file on my Kindle when received was:
Kindle 5.10.0.1 (333743 015)
Note the 'space' where the first post lists a 'zero'

First post, step #2, you can also 'restart' into the factory update package.
Just be real careful not to hit the 'reset' which is next to the 'restart' on the settings menu.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #97
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@coplate: Huh, that's interesting. They indeed started putting & honoring a target OTA field in there, as well as wrapping them in a sig envelope... -_-".

I updated KindleTool to honor that (defaulting to the Rex behavior, meaning that field will have bogus info on earlier packages in convert's output, and create will wrap FB02h2 packages by default).

PW4 5.10.0.1:
Code:
Bundle         SP01 (Signing Envelope)
Cert number    2
Cert file      pubprodkey02.pem (Official 2K)
Bundle         FB02 (Fullbin [signed?])
Bundle Type    Recovery
MD5 Hash       a87e3499db45069b8580b0f11db80d82
Magic 1        2048630901
Magic 2        1897089723
Minor          1
Header Rev     2
Target OTA?    3337430015
Platform       Rex
Board          Unspecified
PW3 5.8.9.0.1
Code:
Bundle         FB02 (Fullbin [signed?])
Bundle Type    Recovery
MD5 Hash       ee3bb9a95196a08e76916c83e6101f97
Magic 1        2048630901
Magic 2        1897089723
Minor          1
Header Rev     2
Target OTA?    1528975445
Platform       Wario
Board          Unspecified

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-20-2018 at 01:55 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #98
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Question, if I update the firmware on the PW4, do I also have to reinstall the hotfix after update?

Thanks!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #99
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No.
The "bridge" code auto-reinstalls itself and the other parts of the "hotfix" that might have been affected by the update.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #100
foolishswami
foolishswami began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
I didnt read this thread before I switched on my Kindle. I bought it 2 days ago, and connected to WiFi immediately. I'm not sure if it updated itself or not, but it has firmware 5.10.1.2 currently.

Is there really no way to go back to an older firmware? I have not really been following this scene in the past, but do updated factory images get released fast? Should I just return it and buy another?

Last edited by foolishswami; 11-21-2018 at 06:44 PM.
foolishswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #101
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishswami View Post
I didnt read this thread before I switched on my Kindle. I bought it 2 days ago, and connected to WiFi immediately. I'm not sure if it updated itself or not, but it has firmware 5.10.1.2 currently.

Is there really no way to go back to an older firmware? I have not really been following this scene in the past, but do updated factory images get released fast? Should I just return it and buy another?
Unfortunately, no known method of downgrading for now. You best bet is to buy a new Kindle.

Thus far, latest known shipping firmware is 5.10.0.2.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:02 PM   #102
knc1
Going Viral

Return it and get another one. It is very hard to get the USB connector, connected; I can tell that from over here.
OR
Use the serial port jail break method.

Hmm...
We probably should edit in some additional info about the new file system structure in the serial thread.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #103
jmes2
jmes2 began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Hello, ask, I installed the KUAL plugin at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=304, then used this plugin to install kpvbooklet 0.66, and then downloaded the KOReader Kindle in November 2018. The package, copied to the root directory of the kindle, open the KUAL plugin to see KOReader and his function options, but click on the file to browse and open the document can not be used, always flash back, copy the epub e-book to the Kindle root directory In the document, it will not be displayed after disconnection. I can see other people's posts. If KOReader is installed normally, you can see the epub e-book on the homepage, but my KOReader is always unavailable. The Kindle firmware is 5.10.0.2. There is a problem in one step, how to fix it, thank you!
jmes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #104
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmes2 View Post
Hello, ask, I installed the KUAL plugin at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=304, then used this plugin to install kpvbooklet 0.66, and then downloaded the KOReader Kindle in November 2018. The package, copied to the root directory of the kindle, open the KUAL plugin to see KOReader and his function options, but click on the file to browse and open the document can not be used, always flash back, copy the epub e-book to the Kindle root directory In the document, it will not be displayed after disconnection. I can see other people's posts. If KOReader is installed normally, you can see the epub e-book on the homepage, but my KOReader is always unavailable. The Kindle firmware is 5.10.0.2. There is a problem in one step, how to fix it, thank you!
There is no known, consumer, 5.10.0.2
That must be the "factory" 5.10.0.2 that you used to jail break the device.

The "factory" firmware builds are intended for use IN THE FACTORY by the QC process.
None of our add-ins where ever intended to run on a "factory (use only)" firmware.

Update your device to the current, consumer, firmware and then try again.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...4HPVAW86CHYHKS
If you did not skip the "hotfix" package installation, your jb will be protected during the update of the firmware.
If you did skip the "hotfix" package installation, install that before updating your Kindle firmware.

After the firmware update, re-install all of our add-ins, being certain to follow the directions for each.

You do have to push all of the buttons in the correct order, or things will not work correctly:

(Do not try that at home if you have a weak left hand.)

Last edited by knc1; 11-21-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:01 AM   #105
Chris01
Chris01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Hello,

first of all, thank you very much for your efforts. I was able to jailbreak the Kindle PW4. Unfortunately, I have to send it back to Amazon. Can somebody please tell me how I can undo the jailbreak and reset to factory settings?

I followed the tutorial in the fist post. My firmware version is 5.10.0.2.

Thank you!
Chris01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, pw4