Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 04:51 AM   #1
Ramirez1
Ramirez1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi. I'm newbie, buy now or wait?

I want one that will read or be able to convert my existing books 25 GB I really do not want to have wasted the time it has taken me to collect and file these books.
Buy now or wait?
Thanks guys
Ramirez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:52 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
not many options if you want to store all 25GB on the device. is that what you want ?
what format(s) are your books in?
give more information to get better replies
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Install and learn how to use calibre. Let it handle the organization of your ebooks. When you get a reader just let calibre handle the transfer of books to your device and any format conversion that is needed
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Back in the eighties, a friend at work said he wanted to buy a PC for his kids to use to learn about computers. i said that was a good idea. "But, I'm going to wait until they're as good as they're going to get and as cheap as they're going to get." I said that meant his kids wouldn't have a PC till they bought one.

I'm using the Kindle Paperwhite. It meets my needs perfectly well, is affordable, and I like it. I got a Voyage which I hated so I gave it to a needy college student who wasn't a friend of mine. He loves it. I got the new Oasis2 and returned it two days later.

If there is a Kindle model that will do, right now, what you want to do, get it. There will always be a new model coming.

Oh, and I can guarantee a price drop simply by buying something. It's a part of corporate culture. "Pat, just bought a Paperwhite, put them on sale."
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I've been a little bemused to read comments elsewhere that suggest the Paperwhite's lack of new features is a drawback. I really liked the two paperwhites I had, and only switched to a Clara to give my Dad his own ereader. The Paperwhite is a great reader imo, and so is the Clara, for me. I agree with Patrickt - if any particular reader meets your needs, and your budget, buy it.
Advert
Old 10-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I would at least wait until the end of the month to see if an updated Paperwhite is going to be released or not. There may not be, but if you want the updated device and it's released right after you buy the older device, it can be a bit aggrivating
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would go with Calibre as has bee suggested. But as for Kindle, I disagree and would say to go for a Kobo. There's much more choice and the new Kobo Forma coming out is awesome. I don't see any current Kindle to be awesome. Kindle is OK is you want to be a cog in the machine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's much more choice and the new Kobo Forma coming out is awesome. I don't see any current Kindle to be awesome. Kindle is OK is you want to be a cog in the machine.
The part about the Kobo Forma being awesome is of course pure speculation, as almost none here has held one in their hands so far. My (entirely subjective, of course) opinion is that the Kindle Oasis 2 is no less awesome.

Last edited by Sirtel; 10-14-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #9
Raymond73
Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Aura H2O, Tolino Vision 3HD, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The part about the Kobo Forma being awesome is of course pure speculation, as almost none here has held one in their hands so far. My (entirely subjective, of course) opinion is that the Kindle Oasis 2 is no less awesome.
I have both in my hands right now and can confirm that they are both awesome
Raymond73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Kobo Forma is awesome because it's an 8" 300DPI Carta plastic backed screen and not a glass backed screen. And the screen won't break as easily as any other Reader from Kobo or Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote