Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #31
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Frank Muller was another good one. He was Stephen King's narrator of choice until a motorcycle accident left him unable to work.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #32
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
My all-time #1 audiobook would be Muller's narration of Jonathan Lethem's Motherless Brooklyn.
(I believe there an abridged one by Steve Buscemi around, too.)
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #33
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
My all-time #1 audiobook would be Muller's narration of Jonathan Lethem's Motherless Brooklyn.
Now that would be an interesting read..um I mean listen :P
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #34
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
A close second would be The Ha-Ha, listening to the "voice" of a mute protagonist.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #35
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
David Case also recorded quite a bit under the name Frederick Davidson.
Correct, and a good reminder.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #36
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
Why do some of them go by multiple names?
To allow them to work with different audiobook publishers/producers, or to work with a different genre when they've become closely identified with a particular genre. But mostly I think the different publishers.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #37
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Ah, my all time favourite best audio book was West with the Night, by Beryl Markham, read by Donata Peters. Sadly not available at a reasonable price any more, though far inferior readings are. One by an American reader, and one by an English reader. The American one is particularly attrocious. (Seriously, how can you read the quintessential British East Africa story with an American accent and have it be anything but a klang.)
Old 06-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #38
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Some of my other favorite readers
-Simon Vance - he's done a ton of books.
-Oliver Wyman - (I'm not sure why Weber's Freehold series switched from him after the first two books, but I like him better than Jason Culp)
-Stefan Rudnicki
I second the comment on Oliver Wyman with the Safehold series. I could not finish the audiobook for books 3 and 4 and read the hardcovers I have. I will probably try them again later.

I have many books narrated by these 3 and also Scott Brick and Paul Michael.

Ken
KenFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #39
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Michael Beck does an outstanding job narrating John Grisham's books; Will Patton is equally good reading James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series.

For author-read works, it's hard to beat David Sedaris reading his essay collections, such as When You Are Engulfed in Flames.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #40
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i signed up for audible today am enjoying stephen colbert's i am america (and so can you!). definitely not for everyone but if you like colbert, you would love this.

Last edited by odiakkoh; 06-07-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:36 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Another series of audiobooks I'd thoroughly recommend is Elizabeth Peters' "Amelia Peabody" series of archeological mysteries set mainly in early 20th century Egypt. The narrator for those is superb - she does a different voice for each character, and has an amazing range.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #42
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Only audio book I've listened to was World War Z. It has a full cast of voice actors, and since it's an oral history it works perfectly in audio format. Slightly abridged, though, but still a great experience. Like an old radio show.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #43
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Never listened to an audio book. I'm thinking they could be good while driving to work. Before I shell out any money does anyone have a recommendation for a good free audiobook to get my feet wet?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #44
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.
Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Before I shell out any money...
See if you can lend them from your library, my American library offers audiobooks too and it has quite a selection. It would be a nice way to save money
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #45
odiakkoh
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Never listened to an audio book. I'm thinking they could be good while driving to work. Before I shell out any money does anyone have a recommendation for a good free audiobook to get my feet wet?
i agree with ivy, see what your library has through overdrive. for my first audiobook i looked for one of my favorite books or at least something i read recently so if i didnt pay attention to something i wouldnt get completely lost.
and theres always the 2 free audiobooks through audible

eta: and i just noticed ivy saying american so im guessing you are not in the us (mr mobile site doesnt show anything but username) if anything i said doesnt apply to you im sorry.

Tags
audiobook, recommendation