Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Question Print from Sigil? Or viable alternative?

Hi, guys:

Back again. You may all remember from my various and sundry posts that I have non-techie authors. I need to provide a 'galley' for my authors from which they may "proof" the final ebook product.

I've tried converting my epubs (from Sigil) to pdf's in Calibre, and that experiment has not gone well; the resulting output is untenable. I have NOT tried every single output profile, but the Kindle output profile is very unappealing and would result in nine billion printed pages for my authors. it's also just a wee bit buggy, for example, it produces two cover pages, for no discernible reason (I don't have two cover images, only one, and have not uploaded a second image via Calibre); this seems to happen no matter what epub I use. Anyway, that's not really the issue.

I've considered unzipping the final epub and sending the html file--if that would even work--but I'm not sure how the raw html would look to them, either, and printing from html isn't all that great.

I've not been able to find any way to "print" the final product from Sigil, other than doing it in a one-chapter-at-a-time pdf, which makes me slightly unhappy.

@Valloric, is there a function I'm missing here? Something I've overlooked? Someone else posted about a printing function in the MacOS Version, but I'm in XP 32-bit and mine only prints that which has been selected, e.g., ctrl-a in each chapter. Nothing pops up when I search the forum that is useful.

My gang won't use desktop readers. Suggestions, anyone?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
You need to get it back into Word or Writer (or Abiword on Linux) from the HTML and then print to PDF.

cap
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Doesn't unzip to html, cap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
You need to get it back into Word or Writer (or Abiword on Linux) from the HTML and then print to PDF.

cap
Hi, cap:

It doesn't unzip down to html. It unzips to xhtml. I don't have an easy way--that I know of--to extract the html and then put it all back into Word. (I'm not sure she's tech-savvy enough to install FF and then associate the xhtml extension--in fact, I'm sure she's not). At this rate, I'll be cutting-and-pasting the fracking thing to put all the content that I've added (images, etc.) into Word; I might as well make a pdf out of each chapter for her to read, it would be faster just printing to PrimoPDF a chapter at a time than...well, "backwarding" the thing--see what I mean?

What I'm trying to do is either print (to PrimoPDF) the WHOLE document (epub), or send the whole thing to html, which she can open in her browser OR in Word.

C'mon, guys, y'all are geniuses...I know that there's something burbling around in somebody's brain, right???? I know one of you has a !!

Hitch
Old 06-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hi, cap:

It doesn't unzip down to html. It unzips to xhtml. I don't have an easy way--that I know of--to extract the html and then put it all back into Word. (I'm not sure she's tech-savvy enough to install FF and then associate the xhtml extension--in fact, I'm sure she's not). At this rate, I'll be cutting-and-pasting the fracking thing to put all the content that I've added (images, etc.) into Word; I might as well make a pdf out of each chapter for her to read, it would be faster just printing to PrimoPDF a chapter at a time than...well, "backwarding" the thing--see what I mean?

What I'm trying to do is either print (to PrimoPDF) the WHOLE document (epub), or send the whole thing to html, which she can open in her browser OR in Word.

C'mon, guys, y'all are geniuses...I know that there's something burbling around in somebody's brain, right???? I know one of you has a !!

Hitch
Ah-hem!
Calibre Viewer has a Print button.

If you are Proofing an E-Pub, conversion does not seem to be indicated
Firefox has EPubreader plug-in.
I believe Calibre Viewer is stand-alone

And, Horrors: ADE
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
capidamonte
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Looks like OO 3.3 will be able to import and edit XHTML.

I know that Abiword can import it -- I did it two days ago.

I used HTML as a shorthand. Sorry about the imprecision.

I'm not home at the moment so I can't check, but does Calibre's ePub reader have print capability? Print it to your PDF printer driver if it does.

What about Atlantis word processor? It handles ePub gracefully, I believe, and may get you directly into conversion without the Word-BD-Sigil loop.

cap
Old 06-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Ah-hem!
Calibre Viewer has a Print button.

If you are Proofing an E-Pub, conversion does not seem to be indicated
Firefox has EPubreader plug-in.
I believe Calibre Viewer is stand-alone

And, Horrors: ADE
  1. The Calibre print viewer only prints the text, not any of the included images, and all the formatting is lost.
  2. The Calibre convert-to-pdf function is equally untenable, the pages--as I mentioned--come out wonky and result in nine bazillion print pages.
  3. I believe I mentioned that my client won't use FF and doesn't know how to download plug-ins OR associate file extensions.
  4. As I know I mentioned, my client does NOT, repeat, NOT wish to "proof" her final product on the monitor, but intends to print it. I'm trying to accommodate that desire.

I tried Calibre's print menu, to a variety of printers, including PrimoPDF. Not viable, it looks like crap, my client will have a seizure if she looks at that. FF will open and view the xhtml files one at a time, which isn't what I need, as I mentioned.

But thanks anyway.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

I used HTML as a shorthand. Sorry about the imprecision.

I'm not home at the moment so I can't check, but does Calibre's ePub reader have print capability? Print it to your PDF printer driver if it does.

What about Atlantis word processor? It handles ePub gracefully, I believe, and may get you directly into conversion without the Word-BD-Sigil loop.

cap
Hi, cap:

I'll look into OO, I use it on my laptop for s&g's, but I don't know when 3.3 is due, do you? Nevermind, I'll go look. Calibre's ePub print is as untenable as the convert-to-pdf function was, the result was really unattractive and my client will be very unhappy (particularly as she has no ereader with which to actually view the final product, and, PLEASE, anyone who is reading this, NO, she won't download Kindle for PC or anything else, so please don't tell me about it, this is WHY I'm trying to find a viable printing method). She's not the only client I have who is at this technology level, so it isn't a unique issue I'm having to deal with.

I'll look at Atlantis, cap, thanks for the suggestion. I'm desperate on this bit of aggro. ;-)

Hitch
Old 06-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
capidamonte

Hmmm.

You could make PDFs of all the chapters, and then merge the PDFs into one.

cap
Old 06-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

No joy so far!

Quote:

You mean xhtml, right, in Abiword? Not the entire epub at once, from what I read in the documentation?

Quote:

cap
Atlantis can apparently export (create) epub; but it can't download, import or open it. {sigh} Nice to have, though--Tucows, aren't these the guys with that publishing CMS, what the heck was it called? PHPCow? Yup, those guys.

I installed the FF epub viewer (nice for a reader!! MUCH better than B&N's desktop reader, which is a total bow-wow), but I can't print from that sucker either. Man, what a PITA this is turning into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte
Hmmm.

You could make PDFs of all the chapters, and then merge the PDFs into one.
Hah! Cap, I'm one of your biggest fans, but if I was going to do that I'd just send her the pdf's one at a time, chapter-by-chapter, book-by-book. That's actually what I was trying to avoid.

Thanks,

Hitch
Old 06-16-2010, 04:37 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You can use Prince to convert XHTML to PDF. I created a script to convert directly from .epub to .pdf, but it's for linux (it should work with Cygwin, though, look in the ePUB forum). Anyway, all it does is unzip the .epub and pass the files to Prince.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:16 AM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Hi, Jellby:

The Prince program works pretty well, and even though it doesn't capture the images (the whole relative/absolute path issue, which is a fair amount of brain-damage for me to edit and fix), it at least can generate multiple pdf's from the chapters at once, so I can send them to her and she can print them at her leisure...and I'll tell her to load FF and the epub reader so she can "see" the actual results.

I admit that I am just not quite enthusiastic enough to load cygwin in order to use your nifty epubtopdf script; I do have an older linux box still here in the house somewhere, but at this point, I've reached my limit of new scripts, LOL!!

Thank you VERY much for your help--the Prince program is really quite lovely.

n.b. - UPDATE: resolved the images issue, it works nicely; one bit of wonkiness with one pic, but this should solve my problems. Har!

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 06-16-2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Added note about images.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
capidamonte

Quote:
You mean xhtml, right, in Abiword? Not the entire epub at once, from what I read in the documentation?
Y'know, probably not -- my epubs don't have splits at the moment, all one XHTML file (splits are not a requirement of the format, just the current reading systems.)

Quote:
Atlantis can apparently export (create) epub; but it can't download, import or open it. {sigh}
That stinks.

Quote:
I installed the FF epub viewer (nice for a reader!! MUCH better than B&N's desktop reader, which is a total bow-wow), but I can't print from that sucker either. Man, what a PITA this is turning into.
It doesn't like my ePubs. I'll have to figure out why (probably the single file thing. It's screaming about an undefined spine.) My guess is that they deliberately turned off printing.

Quote:
Hah! Cap, I'm one of your biggest fans, but if I was going to do that I'd just send her the pdf's one at a time, chapter-by-chapter, book-by-book. That's actually what I was trying to avoid.
You're my only fan, so don't stress.

I was thinking of something like PDFTK.

Comes from not being in the Windows world. Just write a macro or a script for something you're going to do a lot.

There's a really sweet Linux utility called PDF Mod that is a GUI for manipulating PDF pages. If you're willing to set up a virtual machine, and share a working folder, you can just switch back and forth between whatever suits you best.

Oh, I found epub2pdf, though, which looks more like what you want. It's a Java app.

EDIT: and there's a specialized Amber converter for ePub, too. I forgot about them.

cap

ps: that's called burying the lede.

Last edited by capidamonte; 06-16-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Thumbs up

Quote:
Y'know, probably not -- my epubs don't have splits at the moment, all one XHTML file (splits are not a requirement of the format, just the current reading systems.)
Aha! That explains a lot of our "who's on first" conversation.

Quote:
It doesn't like my ePubs. I'll have to figure out why (probably the single file thing. It's screaming about an undefined spine.) My guess is that they deliberately turned off printing.
Wow, that sucks. My epubs look great in it, I'm all excited for my techno-trog author clients, something easy for them to use for the epubs; I already have them on the Kindle Desktop for that group.

Quote:
You're my only fan, so don't stress.
Oh, say it ain't so, cap!

Quote:
Oh, I found epub2pdf, though, which looks more like what you want. It's a Java app.

cap

ps: that's called burying the lede.

It certainly IS called burying the lead!! (Cap was making a joke, for those who don't follow the "lede." GROAN)

The Prince thing is great. It still creates one pdf per xhtml chapter, but I don't care, it does it all at once (like this FAB little script I have called Gallery Creator that resizes a boatload of images all at once, it's terrific), so I can send them all off to her for her to read at her leisure. I name all my xhtmls cogently, so they're named things like "Prologue," "Chapter 1," all that mundane goodness, so she can instantly tell what to read in what sequence without me even having to rename the suckers. I'm a reasonably happy camper, all things considered.

Finish her other two epubs tomorrow (finalized two today, the stupid metadata took the longest), then onto my next adventure with using BD for my next scanned books from one of my new authors. Oh, frabjous day!! I downloaded Notetab, @cap, so if you get PM's from me looking for regex help, you have no one to blame but yourself. Oh, and I have a "DIY" book in I have to do...has a billion images. {sigh} (that is my euphemism for something else entirely!!)

Many thanks to everyone who helped, in this thread and in others. You guys rock. I'd use one of those annoying smiley emoticons, but I {heart} you guys. I hate it when they move around!! (The emoticons, not youse guys!).

Hitch
Old 06-16-2010, 07:11 AM   #14
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
@Valloric, is there a function I'm missing here? Something I've overlooked?
Sadly, no. Printing got broken in the 0.1x to 0.2.x transition, and I haven't had time to look at it, mostly because very few people actually used the feature (so I worked on other things). Currently it will only print one chapter at a time.

Make an issue on the tracker about it.

But Jellby's suggestion is spot on. I use his epub2pdf script (with Prince) all the time, and it works wonders.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
It still creates one pdf per xhtml chapter, but I don't care, it does it all at once
You can create a single PDF from multiple XHTML, just pass all files in order to the command line, like this:

Code:
prince chapter01.xhtml chapter02.xhtml epilogue.xhtml -o book.pdf
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, output, output formats, pdf, print