Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-31-2016, 01:33 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
Code:
Worldwide, ADE is the #1 program and ePub is the #1 format. Get your head out of the USA.
Actually I sell ebooks in Italy, so I'm talking about real numbers in Europe. Can you provide some link about the Worldwide numbers of sold ePub vs. mobi?
Mobi is almost dead. It's only used by people who have old Kindle's and Kindle DX. So yes, ePub is much more prevalent than Mobi.

For example, outside the US Overdrive does not serve any Kindle eBooks. So if you want to use Overdrive outside the US, you need to be able to read ePub with DRM. That means ADE.

Can you prove your real numbers? No, I cannot post a link. But you can cull the information from many different sources. There is no one place that says which eBook format is #1 specifically.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:20 PM   #32
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Mobi is almost dead. It's only used by people who have old Kindle's and Kindle DX. So yes, ePub is much more prevalent than Mobi.
come on, mobi for Kindle, today, is an archive with KF8 and mobi! And I suggest you to expand your sources about real numbers. In Italy most of the ebooks are selled via Kindle store. You can ask this to biggest publishers: in Italy the government change a law to have ebook VAT al 4% instead 22% to allow publisher to pay some similar to 3% Kindle pay in Luxemburg... You can understand how much is sold via Amazon.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
come on, mobi for Kindle, today, is an archive with KF8 and mobi! And I suggest you to expand your sources about real numbers. In Italy most of the ebooks are selled via Kindle store. You can ask this to biggest publishers: in Italy the government change a law to have ebook VAT al 4% instead 22% to allow publisher to pay some similar to 3% Kindle pay in Luxemburg... You can understand how much is sold via Amazon.
And Mobi is only delivered when you have an app/device that will not handle KF8. SO right now it's only Kindle 1, 2, and DX that get Mobi. Not many of those are still in use.

As to numbers, again, Italy is not the world. The world is a bigger place than you think.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:40 PM   #34
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And Mobi is only delivered when you have an app/device that will not handle KF8. SO right now it's only Kindle 1, 2, and DX that get Mobi. Not many of those are still in use.
YOU are talking about mobi. I quote myself:

Quote:
AFAIK ePub is not the #1 format for selling number. Kindle is the one.
So, I'm talking about ebooks sold by amazon store, for Kindle. .mobi is actually a package with different format inside, from mobipocket to KF8. AFAIK this is the most sold ebook format.

Quote:
As to numbers, again, Italy is not the world. The world is a bigger place than you think.
You told before, "the world does not end at the US borders. ", now «the world does not end at the Italy borders»? I fear your world is a fiction one.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Mobi is Mobipocket. Mobipocket is an obsolete format.

ePub is the #1 format worldwide. It is not Amazon's Kindle formats. One big reason is Overdrive. Countries where Overdrive exists, people buy devices or use apps that handle ePub because libraries there do not serve Kindle eBooks.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-09-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:07 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Now you've lost the plot. Mobi is Mobipocket. What you are talking about is not Mobi. It's a combination file. It's a file that contains Mobi and KF8 plus the source.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #37
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Now you've lost the plot. Mobi is Mobipocket. What you are talking about is not Mobi. It's a combination file. It's a file that contains Mobi and KF8 plus the source.
...Except that since Amazon owns Mobipocket, they get to define the format, and they are now defining it as a combination file. Things change and evolve, Jon, whether you want them to or not. Sorry.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:06 AM   #38
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
...Except that since Amazon owns Mobipocket, they get to define the format, and they are now defining it as a combination file. Things change and evolve, Jon, whether you want them to or not. Sorry.

Shari
Yes. And again: I started talking about Kindle, not mobipocket. AFAIK Kindle ebooks sold more than ePub ones.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #39
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Yes. And again: I started talking about Kindle, not mobipocket. AFAIK Kindle ebooks sold more than ePub ones.
That strongly depends on the language of the books. In a lot of countries ePUB is much bigger than Kindle. In other countries it is the other way around.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:43 AM   #40
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
That strongly depends on the language of the books. In a lot of countries ePUB is much bigger than Kindle. In other countries it is the other way around.
Can you provide some examples (and numbers) of countries where ePub is bigger than Kindle?
Old 04-13-2016, 04:16 AM   #41
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Can you provide some examples (and numbers) of countries where ePub is bigger than Kindle?
Numbers? No. But here in the Netherlands ePUB is much bigger. Reason is simple, Amazon is late to the game. Only recently they provide, limited, content in Dutch and most avid readers already have a device that reads ePUB. Also, there are some big online book retailers here that deliver ePUB as well as the public library. Most people don't want to bother with conversion to another format.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:44 AM   #42
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A few years ago, Amazon accounted for 80 percent of my sales. Today it is more like 85-90 percent, alas. And these books are all packaged in a file ending in "mobi," so I reckon that that's what they are, whether they are delivered as KF7, KF8, or KFX. And if you choose to define mobi more strictly, then they are Kindle Format or Anti-Epub; they certainly aren't epubs.

I upload the same epub to the KDP and to Draft-2-Digital, but Amazon converts its copy to the portmanteau "mobi." I can't read that on my Nook or in ADE or any other software on my computer, and I can't read the epub on any of my various Kindle devices and apps unless I first crack the DRM and convert it on Calibre.

Obviously my stats are distorted because I write in English and because there's an American slant to much of what I write, but I am very skeptical that epub constitutes more than a quarter or a third of the e-books sold worldwide, certainly not nearly as much as a half. And I am also skeptical that its share is increasing, based on my own experience, as e-tailers draw back from competing with Amazon. This is a tragedy, but I think it's undeniable.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #43
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Numbers? No. But here in the Netherlands ePUB is much bigger. Reason is simple, Amazon is late to the game. Only recently they provide, limited, content in Dutch and most avid readers already have a device that reads ePUB. Also, there are some big online book retailers here that deliver ePUB as well as the public library. Most people don't want to bother with conversion to another format.
Pretty much the same picture here in Denmark. There are a couple of danish ebook stores offering epubs converted for Kindle, but epub rules the roost. I suspect it's much the same situation in the other Scandinavian countries.

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Number are not possible to get. I doubt you could get the numbers to show your claim of Kindle eBooks outselling ePub.

But you have to take the world as a whole and not just a few countries. As a whole, ePub is more widely used then Kindle eBooks. ePub was out there before the Kindle was available in other countries. So as Toxaris said, Amazon was late to the game in a lot of countries.

Also, in countries where Overdrive is available at libraries, people will be using something that handles ePub because outside of the US, Overdrive does not support Kindle eBooks.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-21-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
A few years ago, Amazon accounted for 80 percent of my sales. Today it is more like 85-90 percent, alas. And these books are all packaged in a file ending in "mobi," so I reckon that that's what they are, whether they are delivered as KF7, KF8, or KFX. And if you choose to define mobi more strictly, then they are Kindle Format or Anti-Epub; they certainly aren't epubs.
I can name an ePub abc.mobi and it's still an ePub. Just because people are using .mobi for Mobi/KF8 combined files does not make them Mobipocket. They are something else until they are split apart and then the Mobi part is Mobi.

Tags
alreader, calibre, epub, image, sigil