Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #16
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Aha! Section, not forum! Well, I got answers quick here anyway! Didn't notice the Calibre section.
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #17
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
As for the Calibre forum I have gotten all the answers I needed in this thread, and it only took me a few hours. So no need to register for another forum (I must be on hundreds of them...).
"I want to post here and not down the list a bit there" is not a valid reason to choose where to post.

MobileRead is a very large set of fora, and has sub-fora for all sorts of things, including various e-readers, things of interest to various market segments (readers, writers, etc.), a rather large free library -- and support for various software, including calibre. It is normally considered polite to put calibre questions in the calibre forum, Sigil questions in the Sigil forum, etc., just as it is to put Sony questions in the Sony forum.

Aside from the fact that it's considered polite to use the organization of MobileRead instead of just posting where you feel like, and that it's better for other users because most people looking for the answer to the same question in the future will look directly in the calibre forum, not in General, there's a reason that can be important to you personally: There are a lot more calibre experts hanging around looking for questions to answer in the calibre forum. You got your answers, but simply by posting in the appropriate section, you could have gotten better and more complete answers and gotten them more quickly. Instead of a few hours, you probably would have had the answers in a few minutes.

In short, if you had posted in the calibre forum -- right down the list a bit -- instead of in General, it would have been better for MobileRead, better for other users, and better for you.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #18
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
"I want to post here and not down the list a bit there" is not a valid reason to choose where to post.
He just didn't realize there was a Calibre section here. It happens. You could flag it for a mod to move it
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #19
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
He just didn't realize there was a Calibre section here. It happens. You could flag it for a mod to move it
Already did; thanks, mods.

I didn't read his post before I started mine (the trouble with an asynchronous medium) -- from his previous post, I understood (or apparently misunderstood) him as saying that he found it more convenient to post to the General forum instead of down here, possibly because it's higher traffic. It's a bit depressing that we've had so many people who do think that way that it can be assumed.

This is one of those days ... I'm trying to get five things done, none successfully, and trying to explain nuclear power to an idiot elsewhere; why, I'm not sure, since I'm not certain the individual in question is clueful enough to understand candles, let alone nuclear power plants. *sigh*
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #20
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

At least you live up to your "mood tag"...
Old 03-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #21
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
If I need to get at a particular file, I just locate it in Calibre and then click the "open folder" (or whatever it's called) button and copy/paste to wherever I want to put it (usually my desktop). That's just what I've found is easiest for me.
This is certainly an option and works well for editing ePubs, covers etc...

Keep in mind though that grabbing a book from the folder doesn't ensure that all of the metadata changes you see in the library GUI will be part of the book. The book metadata gets updated upon export from the library via the Save to disk, Connect to folder, Send to device type of operations. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you ever see things that seem off about a book grabbed in this fashion.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #22
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This is certainly an option and works well for editing ePubs, covers etc...

Keep in mind though that grabbing a book from the folder doesn't ensure that all of the metadata changes you see in the library GUI will be part of the book. The book metadata gets updated upon export from the library via the Save to disk, Connect to folder, Send to device type of operations. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you ever see things that seem off about a book grabbed in this fashion.
Thanks, understood. As long as I can find the book on my device, I really don't get much hung up on metadata that shows on the device... I'm in it for the book. Now, if I can't find the thing on Calibre, then I gots issues.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #23
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
...Is there any way of getting the "Save to disk" button do "Save only Epub" on regular click instead of a list box? I couldn't find that in the settings.
Yes, the pref is in the "Save to Disk" section. Simply enter the desired format(s) in the "File formats to save" field. If you leave it blank (the default) it saves all formats available.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:23 AM   #24
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

Dwig, thanks! That's it! Now I'm completely satisfied with this solution!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #25
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Dwig, thanks! That's it! Now I'm completely satisfied with this solution!
I see that you're satisfied with the save to disk solution. However, from your initial post, it appears you use Calibre only for conversion. You may want to consider using the command line tools of Calibre. ebook-convert will let you do the conversion without putting it into the library. It would save you a few steps.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #26
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

I'll look at that some day, thanks.