Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #91
Wisnoodles
Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wisnoodles knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Blackberry Curve
Wow I am quite surprised that no mentioned James Patterson's character Alex Cross and also Robert Langdon of Dan Brown's books. I am partial to Alex Cross since I read Along Came a Spider about 10 times. Might be time to pick that up again.
Wisnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #92
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Anna Pigeon, the park ranger in the Nevada Barr books. I always feel like I need to put on my hiking boots before I start reading those...

And we can't leave out quirky little Flavia de Luce from the two Alan Bradley books!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #93
MartinParish
Author of 2184
MartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Favorite sleuths? Elementary, my dear Watson...the one and only, of course. Not that I can find anything good to say about that crass new movie, but hey, I guess film studios have to make money somehow, and they don't have that many great ideas, so it's tough.

After Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot takes second place in my book. I never really enjoyed the Jane Marple mysteries quite as much.
MartinParish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #94
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Seven pages and nobody has mentioned Jeremiah Healey's ex MP John Cuddy. I think Healey won an Edgar or two for that series.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #95
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Cornwell's early stuff is very good but her more recent ones are really awful, She has declined a lot, imho. Anything from after the time she tried to go 'literary' is just dreadful.
I have to concur with that. I always figured that the later books were "contractual obligation" novels. Mailed in.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #96
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinParish View Post
Favorite sleuths? Elementary, my dear Watson...the one and only, of course. Not that I can find anything good to say about that crass new movie, but hey, I guess film studios have to make money somehow, and they don't have that many great ideas, so it's tough.

After Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot takes second place in my book. I never really enjoyed the Jane Marple mysteries quite as much.
Heretic!

I like all three of those you mentioned, but Holmes is the only one of whom I can say I've read all 4 novels and all 56 short stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in addition to a few that were written by others. I've also watched The Mystery of the Leaping Fish (1916) starring Douglas Fairbanks as "Coke Ennyday;" a Holmes parody, and enjoyed it.

Of the Holmes novels written by people who weren't Doyle, my favorites are The Seven-Per-Cent Solution (1974) by Nicholas Meyer and A Study in Terror (1966) by Ellery Queen and Paul W. Fairman. The latter was based on a movie of the same name which I've never seen, although I did see The Seven-Per-Cent Solution (1975) and thought it was excellent. It was a revisionist take on the legend, but respectfully so.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-14-2010 at 08:56 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #97
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
I haven't read a lot of mystery, mainly just Christie, Conan Doyle and the Trixie Belden series when I was a kid. My favourite Christie sleuths are Tommy and Tuppence Beresford, then Poirot. It's not that I dislike Miss Marple, I just don't like her as much. I like Sherlock Holmes as a character, but prefer reading Christie because her mysteries are more about the "little grey cells" than physical evidence - you actually have an opportunity to solve the mystery yourself, which you can't with Holmes.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #98
The Whether Man
The Whether Man began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
I would like to add Jasper Fforde's Detective Inspector Jack Spratt / Detective Sergeant Mary Mary combo from the Nursery Crime Division. Only the two books so far though, The Big Over Easy and The Fourth Bear.
The Whether Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #99
Big Shirley
Enthusiast
Big Shirley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Galaxy S, Nook Color, Sony PRS-950
New discovery: Harry Hole the inspector from Jo Nesbo's series set in Norway

All-time fav: Inspector Porfiry Rostnikov from the Stuart Kaminsky series set in Moscow

Gorgeous: Commissario Guido Brunetti from Donna Leon's series set in
Venice

Italy: Marshal Guarnaccia from the series by Magdalen Nabb

Icelandic Noir: Detective Erlendur from Arnaldur Indriðason's series.

American: Steve Carella from Ed McBain's 87th Precinct novels.

Last but not least: Abe Lieberman from Stuart Kaminsky's Lieberman series

I also want to second and third and maybe fourth, Travis McGee, Father Brown, Morse(major crush) and Rebus.

Last edited by Big Shirley; 07-20-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: To add Marshal Guarnaccia
Big Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
It'll probably be dismal, but the Rizzoli and Isles books are going to be a TV series (starring Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander) on TNT starting July 12th.
I've seen the first episode so far and while it was ok, it was a real rush/hatchet job of the second book in the series. Just so much was left out. What they need to is make this like a mini-series where it's not just 45 minutes for the story. Then they can do things the way the books do them and get it done right. But one thing that does bother me is Sasha Alexander. She's wrong for the part. And the character of Isles is not blond. She has dark hair. In the third book, it was shaped in a Cleopatra cut. So really, these little details they need to get right or don't do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #101
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
An author I read many years ago was A. C. Baantjer who was a Dutch policeman that then wrote novels.

His books were usually titled with the beginning, "DeKok and the..."

DeKok was the English spelling of De Cock (the cook) and when the books came out, he was compared as the Dutch Conan Doyle. I enjoyed them when I read them years ago.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #102
miklizro
Enthusiast
miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 running Aldiko and Kindle and Kindle 3 keyboard
Spenser. The best ever. RIP Robert Parker.
Favorites: Catskill Eagle, Judas Goat and Looking for Rachel Wallace
miklizro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #103
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklizro View Post
Spenser. The best ever. RIP Robert Parker.
Favorites: Catskill Eagle, Judas Goat and Looking for Rachel Wallace
I'll sure miss the one and only Mr. Parker - already do!
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #104
steve2645
steve2645 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
favorite sleuths

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Beacham View Post
For many years I read mainstream literary fiction and nonfiction. Then, a couple of years ago, I rediscovered mysteries and found that I love the ones with a lot of dialogue and not too much description - which inspired me to write the first Del Jakes mystery in a sleek fast-moving style.

I'm thrilled to have found Parker's Jesse Stone, Sunny Randall and Spenser, and Connelly's Harry Bosch - among others.

Who are your FAVORITE SLEUTHS?
Lucas Davenport, Leo Waterman, Lincoln Rhyme
steve2645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #105
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Just discovered D.D. Warren, a detective in Lisa Gardner's THE NEIGHBOR. This was my first Gardner novel and it really kept me guessing.

Can anyone recommend another Gardner title that kept them turning the pages - or clicking the ereader?
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote