Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
3rdDegree
3rdDegree began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Newbie question re text size and PDF's

I think this is a well known problem, and I found mention of it here while searching, but was hoping for a bit of an explaination.

When reading a PDF of a book (with DRM, so can't reformat), when I resize from Small (default) text size to any other, on the Reader, the paragraph formats are being "messed up".

For example: Where there are actually two distinct paragraphs in Small text mode, when I increase size, those two paragraphs are merged into to.

I find this to be a complete show stopper for me (which is probably a poor reflection on me rather than anything else!). It makes reading a book with lots of quoted dialogue impossible to follow.

For example:

Text Size = Small

"I've come here to talk to you", he said.
"I need more time".
"I'm afraid we don't have any time"

The above three lines are how the text is represented in "Small" mode. It show three comments, First paragraph is from Person 1 to Person 2. Second one (asking for more time), is Person 2's response. Last paragraph is from Person 1 again saying we have no time.

When Text Size = Medium

"I've come here to talk to you", he said. "I need more time".
"I'm afraid we don't have any time"

Above is often how Sony Reader will translate the above. It will loose the paragraph break after the "he said", and change the entire meaning of the conversation. Unacceptable (to sad little me). The book store I'm buying from seems to have mostly PDF's.

Do all readers (Kindle and so on) suffer from this? Is this a "bug" in the Sony reader (don't seem to happen in the Adobe Digital Editions software)? Any point raising it with Sony. As I said: If all I can get are PDF's and this happens in all PDF's this reader is not much good to me.

Thanks all. Been reading here for a while and finally posted a question.
3rdDegree is offline   Reply With Quote