Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
My suggestions on getting the device to look blacker.

After much hammering away I have gotten the device into a pretty legible state for textfiles anyway, the font "Corbel Bold" looks pretty good on it.. I'll try others too, but try that one out. Most of you have it already because it's bundled with Microsoft Office, and the newer MS OSes. The TTF version.

Ok, so technology issues that lower our contrast..

1) The screen has a matte spray on top of it.. the purpose of this is to prevent glossy shine. I think it may not be necessary because my blackberry has a glossy screen and reflections have never been a problem with it. Also, matte is a light diffractor and monitors that are glossy have darker blacks than matte coated monitors. The glossy monitors are "contrastier". I think someone will need to experiment with a glossy e-ink screen at some point. As evidence for diffraction, when I tilt the screen at an angle to my eyes, the text gets darker. Not a readable angle, but it does get a touch darker which I believe demonstrates light scattering.

2) Redraw speed of the screen.. Robert, can you help with this one? I am thinking that the controller in the PP is a touch too fast with the black flash.. I would actually like to experiment with it being a touch slower. I know that sounds mad, but here is something you can try for yourself.. fill up a screen with some page, preferably with a fat thick large font (we're just testing here) and press the menu button several times without doing anything.. just pressing the button.. now look at the screen.. the words that were "under" the menu window that was popping up and down are now darker than the surrounding words.. so my theory is that because we're sending charge to that area more than once, it has a chance to attract more black particles. Which makes the text in that small area look blacker.. so I'm thinking that if the black flash could be slowed down a touch on page turns, that the contrast of all letters would immediately get a bit darker.. this is something that could be done in software as an option for people who don't mind a slower page turn in exchange for darker pixels.. what do you think?
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
It isn't a problem if they use a font that is black, not grey.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
1) The screen has a matte spray on top of it.. the purpose of this is to prevent glossy shine. I think it may not be necessary because my blackberry has a glossy screen and reflections have never been a problem with it.
This is incorrect. The matte is indeed necessary. The difference between the PP and the blackberry is that the blackberry has a backlight. If it did not have one, yew would not be able to see much on it because of the glare.

A backlight makes all the difference without the matte.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Nah, I had a Handspring Visor (Palm IIIe essentially) and it had a gloss screen (a sheet of plastic essentially on top of the actual surface).. it had a backlight but you only used it for emergencies.. the rest of the time it was a (trans?)flective LCD. Downsides of it was the plastic got scratched.. I should try to buff it out someday.. and the other being the 160x160 resolution. But yup, you can do stuff without a backlight on an LCD.. My MacBook, you can use it in the direct sunlight with it's glossy screen if you turn the backlight off because the light shines through to the LCD.

But I don't want to get into that.. I want blacker text on our PPs! And I am most curious at the moment to know if it's possible to slow down the black flash.. unless of course the issue actually is that it's one of the greyscales? What if I want to turn off the greyscale function entirely.. ? There's bitmap fonts that can be stuffed into a TTF.. I don't "need" the AA if it means making things lighter.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #5
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I repeat, the fonts are plenty black enough, as long as you don't choose the grey ones. If the font is coloured grey, you simply can't make it black.
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Nah, I had a Handspring Visor (Palm IIIe essentially) and it had a gloss screen (a sheet of plastic essentially on top of the actual surface).. it had a backlight but you only used it for emergencies.. the rest of the time it was a (trans?)flective LCD. Downsides of it was the plastic got scratched.. I should try to buff it out someday.. and the other being the 160x160 resolution. But yup, you can do stuff without a backlight on an LCD.. My MacBook, you can use it in the direct sunlight with it's glossy screen if you turn the backlight off because the light shines through to the LCD.
I also had a Handspring VISOR. I even had the extra memory cartridge yew plugged into the top. Hated that thing. Eventually gave it away.

No regrets.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #7
Sunspark
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I repeat, the fonts are plenty black enough, as long as you don't choose the grey ones. If the font is coloured grey, you simply can't make it black.
I was testing with textfiles & saw that it is possible to a limited extent. I am unsure as to whether this is a result of more black particles arriving or software not having turned AA back on for that area. But it was visibly darker to me.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Try using the arial font over the times, it seems darker to me in documents
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone noticed that the USB Connection dialog that comes up when you plug it into the computer is really dark text compared to the rest of the system text displayed?
Old 12-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
I was testing with textfiles & saw that it is possible to a limited extent. I am unsure as to whether this is a result of more black particles arriving or software not having turned AA back on for that area. But it was visibly darker to me.
This is an 8 level greyscale device, and the font appears to be coloured grey, not black. No need to seek obscure technical reasons involving black particles
Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
omro
Addict

I would agree there is a software element here, as some fonts definitely look darker than others and there are system elements which are much darker than others. See the about screen and the connected to the computer screen. These have very dark text elements.

Feedbooks has the ability to create custom PDFs and some of their fonts definitely look darker than the system renders the same book in epub format.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #12
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Try setting the chosen font to bold.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
But I don't want to get into that.. I want blacker text on our PPs!
You want blacker text, then use a blacker font. I use liberation sans in CoolReader, and that seems to be a really dark font compared to the built in fonts.
Quote:
And I am most curious at the moment to know if it's possible to slow down the black flash.. unless of course the issue actually is that it's one of the greyscales?
Why slow down something that is already too slow for some people, especially since all it is doing is erasing the previous page before writing a new page?
Quote:
What if I want to turn off the greyscale function entirely.. ?
Then use a bi-level font with without anti-aliasing.
Quote:
There's bitmap fonts that can be stuffed into a TTF.. I don't "need" the AA if it means making things lighter.
There you go!!
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
omro
Addict

Which is all fine once it's possible to get the PP to tell ePubs to render in a different font.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #15
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Which is all fine once it's possible to get the PP to tell ePubs to render in a different font.
I do not use EPUB on the PocketPRO due to brain dead EPUB renderer, but an EPUB book can use embedded fonts, so it should be possible with ADE if you embed the font that you want? Otherwise the only choice seems to be to wait for a *possible* update to ADE, since the hardware just renders the fonts the way they are designed.
If you use CoolReader you can can just create a /fonts folder and install all the fonts that you want. I buy books in whatever format is the lowest cost at the time and then convert them to EPUB and FB2. I read EPUB using OpenInkpot and FBReader on my V3 and FB2 with the LBook firmware and CoolReader on the V5 (PocketPRO).
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote