Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you already preorder the nook?
Yes 63 27.88%
No 45 19.91%
I am going to 10 4.42%
I may be going to 37 16.37%
I am not going to 71 31.42%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #16
spec2
Enthusiast
spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Interesting that B&N would openly break a law.

Any reference to this law? I'd be happy to pursue B&N...unless, of course they plan on shipping earlier than Nov 30th.
This is the FTC rule: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus02.shtm

Basically it states if a company cannot ship an order within 30 days it must notify the buyer and offer to cancel/refund the order on demand. Technically BN is not in violation of the law if they decide to charge b/c they have openly stated orders will not ship until Nov 30 or later. From a customer service perspective though it's pretty stupid. Most legit companies do not charge until they ship as a courtesy to customers.

What BN cannot do, however, is, deny customers the opportunity to cancel the order before it ships.

I guess the question is, did they actually charge the order or did the ordering system verify funds - which will reduce your credit line but doesn't actually debit your account with the purchase.
spec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #17
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
If their reader is as bad as their software, I wouldn't want one. I have constant crashes on my ipod and pc when I try to use it. I would advise waiting till you can try one out in their bookstore--and read the fine print in their extended warranty!

Also would wait to see if they really come up with as many books as they say. Right now, they don't even come close to Sony or AMAZON for selection.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #18
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
If their reader is as bad as their software, I wouldn't want one. I have constant crashes on my ipod and pc when I try to use it. I would advise waiting till you can try one out in their bookstore--and read the fine print in their extended warranty!

huh?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #19
GaurhothW
GaurhothW began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
I preordered ans I'm really pissed that they charged my CC immediately. That move is actually making me consider canceling. Why charge us for something that won't ship for over a month from now? Greedy.
I pre-ordered but my CC was not charged yet. Did you perhaps use a Debit Card? Those work a LOT differently than a true Credit Card.

Banks reserve funds from a debit card pre-authorization immediately (to protect themselves). Different banks have different policies on when those reserved funds are returned (or not returned). This is at the discretion of your bank, not Barnes and Noble.

Check out http://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/c...linkid=1349374.

GaurhothW
GaurhothW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #20
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post

Also would wait to see if they really come up with as many books as they say. Right now, they don't even come close to Sony or AMAZON for selection.
Never had any prob, neither on PC nor on iphone? I would like to have Cleartype or something like that on PC, though!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #21
ckole
Enthusiast
ckole began at the beginning.

Quote:
I preordered ans I'm really pissed that they charged my CC immediately. That move is actually making me consider canceling. Why charge us for something that won't ship for over a month from now? Greedy.
They may have authorized the amount but not charged. In the US it is illegal to actually charge your credit card before the product ships. So just check back in a few days. My card has been authorized. If that changes I will contact B&N.

Also, I received a order status update that shows to ship date of 11/30/2009. So maybe some folks will get theirs before me if they run to the store. I am still thinking about getting the Irex DR800 for the larger screen if and when it arrives at Best Buy.

Last edited by ckole; 10-21-2009 at 03:08 PM.
ckole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckole View Post
In the US it is illegal to actually charge your credit card before the product ships.
Not if they ship within 30 days it's not.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #23
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
I just bought a Kindle 2, and am interested in getting a second reader, but I want one that gives some substantial differences from my Kindle 2--I'll probably either get one that has a larger screen (like Kindle DX) for home reading, or a device that is more portable (perhaps the Sony PRS-300) to take with me on travel. Unfortunately, the Nook seems mostly to duplicate the traits of my Kindle 2 by being a sort of general purpose reader. I'm still curious, because if B&N releases a second more specialized reader, it will probably have many Nookish <heh> traits.
Yes the SONY devices are very sleek and portable. Right now there are a number of 5" devices that are very portable.

My feeling is they will not be focusing on devices but focusing on selling their DRM license. Like they did to Adobe. That means that their eBooks (ePUB) will be accessible to more devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
Also, I doubt I'll get any new reader until folders or some similar solution for managing large numbers of books is implemented! I'm not going to get a Kindle DX for instance, even though I like the screen size.

And I'll say it first....If B&N comes with a smaller portable version of the Nook that is oriented towards travel, I'm eager to get a little Nookie! :-)
The SONY models have folders (SONY calls them collection). Buy a iPhone/storm it's a 3" screen and very portable.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #24
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Maybe I overreacted. It is a debit/credit card. My statement still shows the charge:

Oct 20, 2009 Debit Card Purchase - BARNES&NOBLE*COM 274.54

We'll see.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #25
ckole
Enthusiast
ckole began at the beginning.

Quote:
Maybe I overreacted. It is a debit/credit card. My statement still shows the charge:

Oct 20, 2009 Debit Card Purchase - BARNES&NOBLE*COM 274.54

We'll see.
I would never use a debit card for online purchases. If your # is stolen you bank account will be cleaned out vs just having large charges on a credit card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not if they ship within 30 days it's not.
Fine, we can go back and forth on this all day long or discuss the reader.

If it is not law most companies do not charge until the product invoices/ships. When I worked for Insight Computers we would authorize only. If it took a while for something to ship they would re-authorize on large purchases. Right before the items went into the FedEx pod your card would get charged. Many people get confused between an authorization and an actual charge. Never experienced the debit card issue because I refuse to use debit cards online. If I want to avoid any chance of interest charges I just do online bill pay when I see the actual charge hits my card well before I receive a statement. Problem solved.

Good luck to all who get the reader. If I can get an Irex before this arrives and I like I will cancel my order. I am going to read lots of PDF's vs books so in the end the best reader for PDF documents will get my business. B&N has really taken a step in the right direction and I am sure Amazon is busy planning the next versions of the Kindle.
ckole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #26
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckole View Post
I would never use a debit card for online purchases. If your # is stolen you bank account will be cleaned out vs just having large charges on a credit card.
Not with my bank (USBank). They're very nice about disputed charges.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #27
Abulia
Enthusiast
Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
Pre-ordered. My first ebook reader. I'm excited and looks to hit all the bullet points that I was looking for. The price seemed reasonable, too.
Abulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #28
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
After my Cybook fiasco, I'm not ordering another expensive electronic gadget until I can see it and touch it and play with it first.

I just got a Sony 600 and really like it, but since my preferred format for DRM is the eReader format, this is tempting. It would be nice not to have to convert my books before I could read them!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #29
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abulia View Post
Pre-ordered. My first ebook reader. I'm excited and looks to hit all the bullet points that I was looking for. The price seemed reasonable, too.
Me too. I have an old ebookwise but am looking forward to the e-ink that nook has (as well as all the other features). Cannot wait.
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #30
voodooblues
Connoisseur
voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad(3 or HD or whatever), iPad Mini, Kindle 7" hdx, Samsung 7 tab 3
I have been considering another reader. I like some of the things i am seeing on the Nook. I will wait for it to come to the stores and see how well it works. I am also considering the Que that is supposed to be out next year.
voodooblues is offline   Reply With Quote