Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
pennpin
pennpin began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505 with broken screen. pocketbook 360 now.
broken screen. is there a program that skims off top one inch of screen?

broken screen. dropped something on the reader. =(

is there a program that can move the text so it doesn't display on the damage area?

pennpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
mbagsh55
Enthusiast
mbagsh55 doesn't littermbagsh55 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700/Zaurus SL-3100
Hi PennPin,
If you are reading eBooks without DRM or with the DRM removed then you can use Calibre for this. I previously owned a PRS-505 with almost exactly the same damage and simply set a bigger top-margin and minimal bottom and side margins to compensate.

Sadly if you have LRX books from the Sony store I don't think there is anything you can do.

Regards,
Marcus
mbagsh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
Arapito
Arapito began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Yes there is - Calibre.

Do a "Convert" and specify a large number of pixels in the top margin. My old 505 came in contact with an eight year old and I had the same problem. I found 195 pixels was the right number for my screen; just keep re-converting until you get it right and then set that as a default. The screen seems to be built in segments and a whole segment goes at once so I wouldn't be surprised if 195 worked for you as well.

I also found a permanent solution - I bought a new 505 and donated the old one to the eight year old. He loves it and doesn't mind the large top margin at all.
Arapito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
As for the protected LRX books from Sony, the only solution I can think of is to read them on your PC within the Sony software.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
pennpin
pennpin began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505 with broken screen. pocketbook 360 now.
thanks for all the advice. I'm thinking of selling it anyway just to get the prs 300 pocket edition when it comes out.
pennpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
That's not the screen. That's the controller. If it's still under warranty, (less than a year old), Sony will replace the entire unit. ($29 shipping)

When this happened to me I was reading an ePub book. (large margins in base font). Reading with horizontal orientation was still possible.

Great excuse to buy a new reader though!
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote