Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
Douglas Rhodes
Connoisseur
Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Storm, laptop
Call for submissions/First issue now out

I've decided to start a 'zine. Lately I've found that there are few markets actively seeking extreme horror or splatterpunk style horror. So, in honor of my novel (and the fact that I love the title):

Sex and Murder is a magazine for the darker side of fiction. We want your most disturbing tales. We want you to peel back the thin veil of humanity to reveal the monstrous, give us the truly horrific, and scare us silly. The genre isn't necessarily important, if your tale is set in the old west, so be it; if it's a tale of dark fantasy, that's great as well. What is really important is that it is well written, tight prose that pushes the boundaries of whatever genre it is set in.

We accept short fiction, flash fiction, art, and poetry. Short fiction should run between 2,000 and 8,000 words. Flash should be less than 1,000 words. As for poetry, well, simply put, we don't want rhyming poetry, period. Art must be sent as a .jpg file. One piece of art, per issue, will be chosen for the cover. All submissions should be sent via email to editor (at) sexandmurder.com.

Short fiction should be sent attached as either a .doc or .txt document in standard manuscript format. Include your name, address, email address, and approximate word count in the left corner of the first page and at the top of your submission email's body.

With that said, let's deal with some specifics. First off, blood and gore are great, we want blood and gore, but blood and gore, no matter how extreme, must be intrinsic to the plot, not simply thrown in for violence's sake. The same goes for sex, if it's in there it better have a purpose. At the same time, the absolute lack of either or both doesn't mean we don't want your story. There are plenty of ways to be truly terrifying without the slightest trace of either.

We don't want rambling diatribes or thinly veiled hate speech, neither one is interesting.

Submissions that are chosen for publication will be published on the website, in both .pdf and .prc (mobipocket) formats, and in a print publication. We are a non-paying market. Hopefully that will change in the future. Author grants first electronic and print publication rights, as well as the right to electronically archive the piece for one year. At the end of that year, the author may request that the piece be removed from the website.

We accept simultaneous submissions, but let us know in the body of your email. Also, unlike many markets, we accept reprints. Please send no more than one piece of short fiction or flash fiction per submission. Send no more than five poems per submission. All work must be original. Finally, do not submit more than once per month.

Last edited by Douglas Rhodes; 07-20-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Douglas Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What's it pay?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
What's it pay?
Hehehe..

Quote:
Submissions that are chosen for publication will be published on the website, in both .pdf and .prc (mobipocket) formats, and in a print publication. We are a non-paying market. Hopefully that will change in the future. Author grants first electronic and print publication rights, as well as the right to electronically archive the piece for one year. At the end of that year, the author may request that the piece be removed from the website
Silly girl.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Hehehe..

Silly girl.

Arrr, my pirate friend, I missed that!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I'd love to sumbit stuff, but do I really want to go to my "dark place" and write? I am already working on a very macabre story, but not quite to this level. Well, maybe a very small part might be.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sorry, but I cannot in good conscience support an electronic 'zine that does not support ePub and LRF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Since you already have PDF, if you just add ePub and LRF, you will have both my and JSWolf's support.

And hey, what more could a guy starting a zine want?

- Ahi

Ps.: On the bright side, you could pander to JSWolf's moral strictures by simply converting your Mobipocket files by Calibre. I believe Mobipocket is the preferred source format for conversions.
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Douglas Rhodes
Connoisseur
Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I want the magazine to reach the ereader community so, what the hell, I'll offer it in those forms as well.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Rhodes View Post
Well, I want the magazine to reach the ereader community so, what the hell, I'll offer it in those forms as well.
YEA!!! Best of Luck in getting this started (the hardest part). Great idea making it available in other formats.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
your genre isn't something that I'm terribly interested in, unfortunatley, but I certainly wish you the best of luck in getting this going! We really need more fiction writers out there.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
Douglas Rhodes
Connoisseur

Thanks for the well-wishes.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
Douglas Rhodes
Connoisseur

The first issue is now up on SexandMurder.com.

I'm also offering downloads of it, in the freebies section, in epub, lrf, pdf, and prc formats.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...366#post527366