Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
Lumiens
Lumiens began at the beginning.

Device: prs 700bc
What now? and a big Thank You!

Dear MobileRead Forum members,

I lurked here at Mobileread for months before I became a member today. I wish to thank you for your help and patience with those, like me, that are/were confused and unsure about which device would best serve their needs.

I settled upon the prs 700 after spending months pouring over the pro's and con's of everybodys' favorite toys. I was finally able to spend more than half an hour comparing both models offered by Sony at a local Borders Bookstore.

I loved the greater contrast of the prs 505 but I preferred the ease of the touch screen and the other advantages the newer model provided. After reading "Journey to the Center of the Earth" I no longer have any worries and feel completely content with my purchase.

I have installed Calibre. It is a great piece of software that really adds to the value of the prs 700.

So I wonder now what other software should I look at that would compliment my new reader?

Again, I wish to thank this community, as a whole, for everything you provide: advice, friendly banter, respect of differing opinions and for being a great resource.

Sincerely,

Lum
Lumiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Hello and welcome to the group! Congrats on getting your PRS-700!
Mine is on it's way! I can hardly contain my excitement! So I'll be following along as well to see the recommendations offered by this awesome forum! Enjoy!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Book Designer is a Great tool for Creating and Editing files and converting them to LRF

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786

I Prefer Not to use Calibre. Automatic converters never Sit well with me.

another tool which is nice is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28313 it basically just a bunch of macros in microsoft word which make it easier to create Ebooks its good, but not nearly as good as Book Designer (if this had an Element Browser like Book Designer i might use it more) This has the Option of converting to Epub, but i tried it last night and didnt get it to work so....
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome, Lumiens. Enjoy!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Congrats! My local borders didn't have a 700 on display yet (they had them in stock though).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
My local borders didn't have a 700 on display yet (they had them in stock though).
Having the PRS-700 on display at Borders to play with and test out was what led me to purchase the 700! The closest SonyStyle store was hours away in Chicago. So, I think if Sony would embrace the idea of putting them on sale in more locally-available retail stores, they would see more sales. Having the 505 at Target was good, but they never got the 700 there. I need my hands-on experience (probably why I like the touch screen ). Although I did end up ordering mine from Amazon, because my husband had about $200 in rewards certificates to take the sting out of the price. Now I just have to wait for it's arrival!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Lumiens -- enjoy the 700! I've had mine since November and I'm still thoroughly enjoying reading with it. I find that it fits my hand better than the 500 which I bought in March of 2007, and the built-in light means no add-on weight when reading in bed. And the huge increase in speed and the ability (finally!) to handle large numbers of books both in memory plus on a memory stick makes this such a wonderful device.

One great purchase to improve things is to buy a PSP (playstation portable) charger (car and/or wall outlet) because the 700 charges twice as fast with that than with the USB cable, and you can continue to read while charging with the PSP charger, something you can't do when charging via USB.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Lum and welcome to the Forum. I've had a 505 for a year now and love it. But, I recently compared the 505 and the 700 side-by-side and would be just as happy with the 700.

Enjoy
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
Lumiens
Lumiens began at the beginning.

Device: prs 700bc
You guys are great! I've downloaded Calibre and Book Designer. One seems easier than the other. But the easier one took some text that I got from project Gutenberg and and left me with no paragraphs - just a wall of text. I'm gonna have to experiment and read the notes.

I've always wanted to read Journey to the Interior/Center of the Earth! And I'm sure that I'll find lots of stuff to read from your suggestions here. Thank you again,

Lum

p.s. I didn't read my manual yet but how do I back out of reading the footnotes to get back to where I was reading without having to go to "Home" again.
Lumiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #10
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumiens View Post
... how do I back out of reading the footnotes to get back to where I was reading without having to go to "Home" again.
Click on the page number (bottom of the page), then on left arrow, it will take you back.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:00 AM   #11
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
You guys are great! I've downloaded Calibre and Book Designer. One seems easier than the other. But the easier one took some text that I got from project Gutenberg and and left me with no paragraphs - just a wall of text. I'm gonna have to experiment and read the notes.

I've always wanted to read Journey to the Interior/Center of the Earth! And I'm sure that I'll find lots of stuff to read from your suggestions here. Thank you again,

Lum

p.s. I didn't read my manual yet but how do I back out of reading the footnotes to get back to where I was reading without having to go to "Home" again.
1. Read my guide on bookdesigner in my sig.

2. Click the back button. (first on the device bottom)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #12
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Andybaby,

I finally clicked on the link in your signature for the Guide and I have to say that it is a wonderful concise and clear guide for using bookdesigner.

Thanks for making that available!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:

Lum

Journey to the Center of the Earth is AWESOME! Very fun book, and ridiculously easy to read (big difference between that and 20000 Leagues)
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote