Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Buy or wait

Hi iLiad owners,

I've misplaced my Sony Reader so it is time for me to buy a new eBook reader. I am very enticed by the iLiad but I have one concern: I don't want to buy a V2 if the V3 is around the corner. So how likely do you think it is that the V3 will be released in the next 2-3 months? Next 6 months?

Also, do you predict the V3 will be a huge improvement upon the V2? Or will it be minor improvements like higher refresh rate and contrast?

Thanks for your help!
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Really nobody outside of iRex knows, and they wanna don't tell, because they don't want the "osborne effect".

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=2555&highlight=effect
Exactly! It's called the Osborne Effect, after pioneering computer maker Osborne Computer Corporation, who went bankrupt because the announced a new model in advance of shipping, and killed their revenue stream while everyone postponed buying. Almost no one pre-announces new versions of existing hardware. (They might announce they're entering a caterogy, as Astek has recently with ebook readers, but only a fool says don't buy what we're selling now because we've got something better coming out later.)
One day a new device from iRex will be suddendly out, nobody knows if its tomorrow, next year or never because iRex is closed.

It has been guessed that if we would be them, we would target this winter for a new release, because Astak announced this winter their new windows-crap reader, and iRex should react on this.

Astak in the contrast to iRex who are not yet in the market especially want an osborne effect, by announcing features/prices which likely will not hold (at least on the price side, there were also rumours they are not going to deliver the price they announced first place.)
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
They did pre-announce the V2, and I waited several months for it to be available before buying. They learned that lesson well, and the Book Edition was a surprise.

It seems likely that there will be some competitors to the current v2 this year, with either 8" or 9.7" screens. Bookeen has made statements suggesting they might introduce a high-end reader, and Sony and Amazon must have at least thought about doing so. However, we have seen "this year" become "next spring" before with E-Ink devices (and Jinke initially announced a 9.7" device for delivery last year). My guess is that iRex has until next spring at the latest to deliver a significantly improved device. On the other hand, if they can introduce a new device earlier than their competitors (e.g. Astak Mentor 9.7" scheduled for October) this will help enormously.

If the current iLiad meets your needs, then go for it. The only thing the next generation of devices will definitely have is faster page turns and a suspend mode. I'm not sure a device with a touch screen and networking can provide multi-week battery capacity, but the current iLiad with a fast suspend mode would probably last several days between charges and the slow boot time of the current device (and lack of suspend) make the battery capacity much more problematic.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I agree with wallcraft. If you like the iLiad as it is now, go ahead. I doubt a new version will be any less expensive, and I really don't think it will be out anytime soon.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:29 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I vote buy now
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
One day a new device from iRex will be suddendly out, nobody knows if its tomorrow, next year or never because iRex is closed.
I have to say this is looking increasingly likely. I love mine, but I bought it half-price used. I could never have justified the full price for the level of support iRex has provided. If they had on-board handwriting recognition and some better sketch software, and maybe forms software, that would be different. But they still can't even search PDFs! There have been no significant improvements in functionality from iRex since I bought mine over a year ago.

If you like the unit as-is, go ahead and buy one, but don't do so with the expectation that iRex is suddenly going to come out with much better software/firmware functionality.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'd wait a little while if possible. There were hints about something big coming this year, and even though the Iliad V2 is a really great device I would say that there are quite a few things that could be better still.

If waiting does not hurt too much, wait until Q4.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Axelos
Axelos
Axelos began at the beginning.

Device: MDA Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I'd wait a little while if possible. There were hints about something big coming this year, and even though the Iliad V2 is a really great device I would say that there are quite a few things that could be better still.

If waiting does not hurt too much, wait until Q4.
Please, could you tell us a bit more about the roumors you obviously have heard. I just think about to buy a new iliad but I would prefer to buy a version with less deficiencies. At least a letter size format would be nice and a suspend mode as well. So if it's worth to wait i would till Q4, but be able to decide i need some facts.
Axelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
They have not made any official announcements, nobody knows what they have planned. There was a post made on their forum a while ago about big things coming soon, but I think that post was made shortly before they announced the new Book Edition. They could have been referring to that. It could also have been referring to a software update (they're due for a new software version soon if you look at their past schedule, and they've mentioned before that they're working on a major change to the viewer framework).

There probably will be new hardware versions at some point in the future, but at this point nobody outside of iRex knows what they are or when they'll be released.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Even if they announce something they need half eternity to get it on the market.

Buying is a good option.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I can't tell you anything specific since a) I don't have any specifics and b) I promised not to tell...

All I can do is tell you that the roumour about the "exciting stuff going to happen" (started by iRex itself) was not about the Book edition.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:07 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are also likely to be new 9.7" devices from Astak out around the end of the year. Might be as well to wait if you're able to.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I vote to buy

Well, I took the plunge the other day. It hasn't arrived yet. I should get the Iliad by Monday the latest. I spent probably over 100 hours reading everything about all of them. Including reading everything I could on this fantastic site. My head was spinning by the time I decided on the Iliad.

A couple of things to consider and I believe a reason for not waiting. This is clearly an advanced reader over all of them. For sure it isn't perfect and there are things about the Kindle, Cybook, etc that I wish were on the Iliad. It also appears the software could be more stable. This being a highly advanced reader how much better will the new readers really be to the Iliad? The Astak looks great but what can we say about it today? It has the equivalent features of the Iliad but we don't know if the software measures up. We don't even know if it will have folders. A new Iliad may have better battery and page turning performance but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes even another iteration before there is a real jump in features. It is always nice to have the latest and greatest but will the next version of any of the readers really be that much better than the Iliad today? Jumping in now means you can start learning how to use the device and the software. Of course the buy/hold issue is always present whether deciding to purchase an eReader, PC or pocketPC, etc. My problem was after reading so much I wanted to jump in. I couldn't hold back. One other thought, I also see this as a great productivity tool for work. Even though the money is from our pockets one can't put a price on how it can help at work.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote