Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-03-2008, 12:02 AM   #31
leveck
Literate Gadget Fan
leveck is on a distinguished road

Device: Vulan Flipstart, Sony PRS 505
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiburis View Post
It's also important to realize that it's primarily a guide to creating PDFs for the Reader, not to reformatting existing PDFs. These are different things. Reformatting an existing PDF is quite problematic, and not what this guide is mainly about.
Acrobat Pro lets you convert PDF to other formats. I've found that reformating an e-book in PDF to PDF for Sony reader (or in the past, fixing things in a PDF file like I had a book with "ooo" as a section divider, I replaced this with a horizontal rule), it is best to convert to HTML 4 with CSS, modify the CSS to your liking (larger font, whatever), then print the html from your browser of choice to Acrobat using the paper setup for the reader.
leveck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:18 AM   #32
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Very well. I have read several (8) books from scifi-az.com that were formated this way.

BOb
BOb, I have purchased a couple of books from scifi-az, and I found the performance on my Prs-505 to be horrible! The refresh rate was way to slow (more than 3 seconds).

I ended up converting the .lit option to HTML, and then converted that to LRF an got an acceptable book (actually I really enjoy the Michael McCollum's books a lot!)

But, my question to you is: Did you really have an acceptable page refresh rate with your PDF on a Sony?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
But, my question to you is: Did you really have an acceptable page refresh rate with your PDF on a Sony?
I read them on the 500 and don't recall the refresh rate being any different than the LRF books that I read on it. Of course, I was green when I got these books. I think now the better option is to get the .lit and convert it to LRF.

I actually have had some correspondence with Mr McCollum about this topic and I believe he is going to produce .LRF files for his books rather than the .PDF. The converstaion started when I told him the PDFs he formated for Sony would not work on the Kindle which is how he marked them. And his Palm (.prc) files should be specified for Kindle users of his current formats.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote