Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
ghero
Connoisseur
ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently owned: Nook HD+, pyrus mini. Previously owned: Sony prs-t2.
A revised way of processing your pdf so you can read on kobo glo

After having an extensive discussion with jusmee, I realize (also inspired during that discussion) that for many situations, the procedures I provided in “An ebook processing flow that can improve your experience of reading PDF on kobo glo” might still not be enough to read comfortably in many cases. So I come up with another abstract procedure, I think will solve much of the problem, however this one will be significantly more complex than the procedure I originally provided, which is more preferred to be used by techie readers only.

Also you might want to read the original processing flow I mentioned above, before you read what’s below, because many key points and explainations I mentioned in there will not be repeated blow:

Here are the abstract of procedures:

1. Convert the pdf into a set of images (one image per page)
2. Crop all images to get rid of the useless spaces at the margins.
3. Flip all images by 90 degrees to the left (anti-clockwise).
4. Split all images horizontally into either 2 or 3 parts (note, each part should also contain some area of its neighboring parts to guarantee a continuous reading experience, therefore this is the hardest step, not just simply split.)
5. Compose the resulting images into a cbr/cbz.

So basically what you get in the end is a ebook that you can read as if it is in landscape mode in kobo, but with this version you can turn pages very easily. You just have to tap your way to read, without configuring views while reading.

For number step 1, 2, and 5, I have already explained a little bit in the previous procedure, which I will not repeat. Step 3 can be done easily with many massive picture processing softwares.

Now for step 4, you need a good massive picture processing software, and how it is done depends on your own software. For my software, I shall use the so called “capture” feature, which is used to extract certain part of picture, that applies to all pictures of your selection, and save the selected pictures in a specified directory. I use it to produce 2 (can be 3 if you want to) set of pictures, the first set is the upper part of pages (left part of flipped images), the second set is the lower part of the pages (right part of flipped images). Then I use a massive files rename feature (come with the picture processing software), to rename all files in the second set, so when I place pictures from the first and second set together in one directory and sort them by name, the lower part will appear right after the upper part of the same page. Then basically I will go to step 5 to compose them,

So that’s much about it, at least for now.

Last edited by ghero; 12-26-2012 at 04:26 AM.
ghero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
problem: pdfs containing pictures are big and very slow to display.
Better have some program that splits pages and distributing the letters accordingly. I've seen some programs for this splitting, but have not tried them

I would think of something like this:
http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/pytho...ner/index.html
extracting letter location, then using pycairo to make new (half) pages ..

maybe easier with pypdf? http://pybrary.net/pyPdf/

Last edited by ksiflhjla8; 12-27-2012 at 07:54 AM.
ksiflhjla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert