Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #211
ebook-lover
ebook-lover began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre not work

Hello…I installed Kindle 1.20, but then changed to 1.17 (for PC/laptop) as by hoping to be able to convert to PDF format through Calibre. Unfortunately, it is still not work for me. The Calibre cannot give me a PDF format even though I already use Kindle 1.17.
Would you mind to advise me, please? What should I do? Thank you very much.
ebook-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:18 AM   #212
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You need to give us more information. What error do you get when you try to convert the book to PDF?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:11 AM   #213
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebook-lover View Post
Hello…I installed Kindle 1.20, but then changed to 1.17 (for PC/laptop) as by hoping to be able to convert to PDF format through Calibre. Unfortunately, it is still not work for me. The Calibre cannot give me a PDF format even though I already use Kindle 1.17.
Would you mind to advise me, please? What should I do? Thank you very much.
Detailed help with DRM removal is not allowed on MobileRead. I suggest you ask at Apprentice Alf's blog or Apprentice Harper's github repository.

I think I can say that to get a PDF from an AZW4 file, KindleUnpack is the plugin to use.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:21 AM   #214
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think I can say that to get a PDF from an AZW4 file, KindleUnpack is the plugin to use.
To clarify, that is of course for "Print Replica" books only.

If the previous poster is not asking about the use of Kindle for PC / Kindle for Mac specifically, they should start a new thread and not ask here.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #215
Sutherland
Sutherland began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Thank you so much for this explanation. It didn't work for me three times until I realized I was not following your instructions EXACTLY. I would strongly urge anyone who follows these instructions to not skip a step, tpo read them carefully, and to do them exactly in the order in which they're presented. All I wanted was to be able to put a book on my husband's Kindle and this, with Calibre and the plugins, worked instantly.

I registered for this forum because of your post. Thank you, thank you!!
Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:34 AM   #216
i<3books
i<3books began at the beginning.

Device: kindle app // iBooks app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolis View Post
Hi, I (stupidly) allowed the App Store to update Kindle for Mac without checking here first!

In the first post to this discussion:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371
(Is currently unclear whether or not this method will work with Kindle for Mac version 1.20.2.)

I can confirm that this method works with "El Capitan".
sudo chmod -x /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test

Terminal asks for the Mac's admin password. When you type this into Terminal it remains invisible (nothing happens) but press Return and the command will do the biz.

You might like to update your initial post to include this information.

Many, many thanks for this!
I tried this workaround and I was prompted to enter my password in terminal, which I did, but then nothing happened. When you say "biz" do you mean terminal will output text after the command and password are entered?

I'm running Sierra. Can anyone confirm if sudo chmod -x /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test works with Sierra?

Thanks

Last edited by i<3books; 09-05-2017 at 05:59 AM.
i<3books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:36 AM   #217
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3books View Post
I tried this workaround and I was prompted to enter my password in terminal, which I did, but then nothing happened. When you say "biz" do you mean terminal will output text after the command and password are entered?
Nothing will visibly happen. The command, as you can see, is simply removing "execute" permission from a file. The result of executing the command is that K4Mac should no longer download books in KFX format. Are you finding that it's still doing so?
Old 09-05-2017, 07:20 AM   #218
i<3books
i<3books began at the beginning.

Device: kindle app // iBooks app
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nothing will visibly happen. The command, as you can see, is simply removing "execute" permission from a file. The result of executing the command is that K4Mac should no longer download books in KFX format. Are you finding that it's still doing so?
I just tried the fix again and it works. Not sure what I did wrong the first time, but just glad it works.

Thanks
i<3books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #219
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The Mac App Store is showing a new version of Kindle for Mac, 1.20.3. The description is "This update includes stability improvements and bug fixes."

It is not yet known whether method #2 of avoiding KFX, described in the first post of this thread, will work with that version.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #220
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I very much doubt that a point release would change the way it works. I'm sure we'll know soon enough, though.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #221
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I very much doubt that a point release would change the way it works. I'm sure we'll know soon enough, though.
The chmod command no longer works with this version of Kindle for Mac, 1.20.3. Just tried it. Fails.
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #222
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydmalicious View Post
The chmod command no longer works with this version of Kindle for Mac, 1.20.3. Just tried it. Fails.
Try it with sudo and see if that makes the difference.
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:22 AM   #223
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Try it with sudo and see if that makes the difference.

Tried that. Still doesn’t work. Rolled back to 1.17 until a fix becomes available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:44 AM   #224
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydmalicious View Post
So forget the chmod command and just rename the file so it cannot be run.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #225
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So forget the chmod command and just rename the file so it cannot be run.
Not a Mac user myself, but those who tried that reported it prevented Kindle for Mac from running too. If it had worked, there wouldn't be different solutions for PC and Mac for "method 2" in the first post.

Last edited by lkmiller; 09-09-2017 at 06:53 AM. Reason: typo
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc