Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #1
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.
nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT2, PW2
[Question] Search bar commands location

Hi there,

Does anybody know where in the rootfs of latest firmware (Kindle 5.8.10) is the text file, containing all commands that you can put in the search bar?

I've looked in /usr/share but there obviously I couldn't see the folder with the search bar commands.

======[EDIT]======

This thread was solved by knc1 and hius07. "It is now safe" for moderators to delete this thread.

Last edited by nicolasmart; 08-14-2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Marking this thread as solved!
nicolasmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmart View Post
Hi there,

Does anybody know where in the rootfs of latest firmware (Kindle 5.8.10) is the text file, containing all commands that you can put in the search bar?

I've looked in /usr/share but there obviously I couldn't see the folder with the search bar commands.
It hasn't changed and I documented it here recently.
It **should** be in a thread started by myself.

Here in the rootfs:
usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/debug_cmds.json

Last edited by knc1; 08-14-2017 at 09:24 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
They are in usr/bin. Some of them are scripts (e.g. 411.sh), others are binaries.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.
nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
They are in usr/bin. Some of them are scripts (e.g. 411.sh), others are binaries.
Well, I saw those but those are just the scripts and not the commands itself. But thanks for telling me the path anyway. It's enough that I see confirmation of my thoughts.

Have a nice day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It hasn't changed and I documented it here recently.
It **should** be in a thread started by myself.

Here in the rootfs:
usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/debug_cmds.json
OK! Thank you a lot!

You made me look again, I was able to find them in 5.8.10.

Have a nice day, too!

Last edited by nicolasmart; 08-15-2017 at 05:29 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:06 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't know what Amazon is doing, there is no reason why the json isn't available on 5.8.10 (maybe it is because 5.8.10 is an OTA, not a full reinstall and the last addition of commands was made in 5.8.9.2, I'm not really sure).
ALL updates since 5.3.something are full updates.
The ones sent over the air are identical with the ones you can download.
Quote:
KT:
- - - -
Firmware 5.0.0 (November 3, 2011) ... firmware 5.3.2.1 (February 22, 2013) where all 'incremental update' packages. They did not contain a full system image.
- - - -
Firmware 5.3.7 (July 12, 2013) ... firmware 5.3.7.3 (July 20, 2014) are all the new 'full image update' packages.
- - - -
All devices newer than the KT use the 'full image update' packages.
Ref:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=24
Old 08-15-2017, 05:28 AM   #6
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.

Quote:
ALL updates since 5.3.something are full updates.
The ones sent over the air are identical with the ones you can download.

Ref:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=24
Yeah, that were my initial speculations when I saw KindleTool displaying the package as Recovery bundle. I don't know why I wrote that thing earlier. I'm going to edit it.

Is it just me, or I find the obvious reason why ;installHtml doesn't work on 5.8.10 to be the fact that the whole directory /usr/local is missing, along with the bin files in it? It's really weird.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Yeah, that were my initial speculations when I saw KindleTool displaying the package as Recovery bundle. I don't know why I wrote that thing earlier. I'm going to edit it.

Is it just me, or I find the obvious reason why ;installHtml doesn't work on 5.8.10 to be the fact that the whole directory /usr/local is missing, along with the bin files in it? It's really weird.
You must be looking at a customer (end user) file system tree.
That part of the directory tree has been missing since Day 0 of the customer (end user) full image updates (and perhaps before).

Look at a factory (production line use only) file system tree and you will find it has /usr/local.

Which is why the current jail break process starts out by installing a factory (production line use only) system image.
(It is not the change in version number that is significant, it is the change customer -> factory that is significant.)

Install USBnetworking on anything 5.x series and find that /usr/local has been recreated. (so that the existing searchbar shortcut commands for USBnetworking work).

And inside of the shell script that ;installHtml calls, this is the part that installs the current jail break:
Code:
# copy files from tar to folders on device
mntroot rw
cd /mnt/us
tar xvf /mnt/us/main-htmlviewer.tar.gz

Last edited by knc1; 08-15-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #8
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.

Quote:
You must be looking at a customer (end user) file system tree.
That part of the directory tree has been missing since Day 0 of the customer (end user) full image updates (and perhaps before).

Look at a factory (production line use only) file system tree and you will find it has /usr/local.

Which is why the current jail break process starts out by installing a factory (production line use only) system image.
(It is not the change in version number that is significant, it is the change customer -> factory that is significant.)

Install USBnetworking on anything 5.x series and find that /usr/local has been recreated. (so that the existing searchbar shortcut commands for USBnetworking work).

And inside of the shell script that ;installHtml calls, this is the part that installs the current jail break:
Code:
# copy files from tar to folders on device
mntroot rw
cd /mnt/us
tar xvf /mnt/us/main-htmlviewer.tar.gz
OK! Thanks for clarifying that.

I have one last question - why does Lab126 even need to use installHtml? What do they replace on the device itself and not their "Project PC"? I don't find it necessary for them.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
OK! Thanks for clarifying that.

I have one last question - why does Lab126 even need to use installHtml? What do they replace on the device itself and not their "Project PC"? I don't find it necessary for them.
I think for that you would need to ask them.
Sorry but the mind reader system is currently down.
No idea when it will be up and running.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

My guess:
Separate development projects, maybe even separate departments.

Granted there are better ways to do what they do, but we stopped giving Lab126 lessons back in the KT days.
It is not like they are paying us to get them properly structured and effectively organized.

Heck, Alex doesn't even cut us in for a % of the Ad revenue generated by the second most viewed forum on the site.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #11
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.

Quote:
My guess:
Separate development projects, maybe even separate departments.

Granted there are better ways to do what they do, but we stopped giving Lab126 lessons back in the KT days.
It is not like they are paying us to get them properly structured and effectively organized.

Heck, Alex doesn't even cut us in for a % of the Ad revenue generated by the second most viewed forum on the site.
No percents needed! Only if Amazon actually re-allowed installing FB02 packages...

Why don't they like people jailbreaking Kindles? I mean, we still do buy books from Amazon, we still use their sandbox, we are just adding features. I don't understand them!
Old 08-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No percents needed! Only if Amazon actually re-allowed installing FB02 packages...

Why don't they like people jailbreaking Kindles? I mean, we still do buy books from Amazon, we still use their sandbox, we are just adding features. I don't understand them!
You want the simple answer?
Customer service.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 08-15-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #13
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You want the simple answer?
Customer service.
I already contacted CS (I think you should remember this) and they said "We'll take this as a feedback and put it in the highest priority section" (or whatever that means).

So, I don't think it would be a good idea to do it again 😂.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:44 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I already contacted CS (I think you should remember this) and they said "We'll take this as a feedback and put it in the highest priority section" (or whatever that means).

So, I don't think it would be a good idea to do it again 😂.
Yes, it is now a high priority to make sure they can never be hacked.
No, that isn't what I meant.
Amazon doesn't want their devices hacked because they would have to hire more technical customer support people.
It isn't economically feasible for Amazon to be easily hacked.
Pretty sure Amazon has a technical manual that CS uses.
Have you read the Software Jailbreak thread in its entirety? It is barely a year old. At least 25% of that thread is troubleshooting questions. Which means at least 25% is answers.
I imagine Amazon would be overwhelmed with calls from people that misread/skipped steps/etc if they made it easily hacked.

I can't count the number of times, I have said you need to do this instead of what you did.