Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I wonder what this means for Whispernet

Sprint and Clearwire Marriage Official

Quote:
Initially, the network will deliver an average of 2-4Mbps downstream, with the first devices outside of laptops and USB modems arriving in the middle of next year—stuff like mobile internet devices and MP3 players.
I followed a link.

Quote:
The new company, which will be named Clearwire, will be focused on expediting the deployment of the first nationwide mobile WiMAX network to provide a true mobile broadband experience for consumers, small businesses, medium and large enterprises, public safety organizations and educational institutions. The new Clearwire expects to dramatically enhance the speed and manner in which customers access all that the Internet has to offer at home, in the office and on the road.
A couple of the comments note that WiMax had coverage in Alaska and Canada (where there is no Whispernet coverage now).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think eventually Kindle users will be paying for the service
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Sprint and Clearwire Marriage Official

I followed a link.

A couple of the comments note that WiMax had coverage in Alaska and Canada (where there is no Whispernet coverage now).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I don't think it will have any effect at all on Whispernet. For one thing, Kindle users are already "paying" for Whispernet. The cost is bundled into the price of each book sold by Amazon and available over Whispernet.

We all know that it doesn't cost Amazon $9.99 to produce a downloadable copy of a book ... not even a best seller. And, since the Kindle is not made to be a web-browser, I would dare say that most of us only use Whispernet from time to time .... and mostly to download books from Amazon.

Even with a merger, the original Sprint contracts will have to be honored, and it's really in Amazon's favor that there is now a larger coverage area. They can start selling Kindles in Canada.

Possibly, at some point, they may discontinue the experimental web browser, but you know, I stopped using that about day two of having my Kindle. I still use Whispernet, but that's about it. And, now that I've got my iPhone, I much prefer that for on the go browsing. It's much (much) faster.

Oh, now there's a thought .... I wonder how hard it would be .... say I was out of Whispernet range .... to purchase a book from Amazon using the cell phone, download it to the cell phone, and then copy it from the phone to the computer?? Hmmm .... may have to try that.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post

Oh, now there's a thought .... I wonder how hard it would be .... say I was out of Whispernet range .... to purchase a book from Amazon using the cell phone, download it to the cell phone, and then copy it from the phone to the computer?? Hmmm .... may have to try that.
I'm mostly hoping that it will expand Whispernet coverage.

If you have your computer, why can't you just download directly. No need for the extra steps. Or just buy it and turn on your Whispernet when you get in range. I've purchased from my iPod Touch that way.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
I'm mostly hoping that it will expand Whispernet coverage.

If you have your computer, why can't you just download directly. No need for the extra steps. Or just buy it and turn on your Whispernet when you get in range. I've purchased from my iPod Touch that way.
I think that's what it will do .... just expand the coverage.

Nah .... I was thinking of those rare times when I'm outside of Whispernet coverage, but I also don't have my computer with me. I admit that would be a really strange circumstance ... but play along for a minute.

I mean, I could purchase it on the phone, and then wait until I had the Kindle in range in order to pick it up .... but say I was staying at some podunk hotel that had no internet ... wireless or dial up, and I'm outside of Whispernet range, but I'm still getting an AT&T signal. Then, theoretically, I should be able to download a book to the phone and then go from the phone to the computer and then from the computer to the Kindle.

I have stayed at some pretty out of the way places where their idea of an internet connection is a really crappy computer out in back of the office, no wireless and no hope of connecting up my laptop.

I know .... you're surprised such places exist, but they do.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:

Nah .... I was thinking of those rare times when I'm outside of Whispernet coverage, but I also don't have my computer with me. I admit that would be a really strange circumstance ... but play along for a minute.

I mean, I could purchase it on the phone, and then wait until I had the Kindle in range in order to pick it up .... but say I was staying at some podunk hotel that had no internet ... wireless or dial up, and I'm outside of Whispernet range, but I'm still getting an AT&T signal. Then, theoretically, I should be able to download a book to the phone and then go from the phone to the computer and then from the computer to the Kindle.

I have stayed at some pretty out of the way places where their idea of an internet connection is a really crappy computer out in back of the office, no wireless and no hope of connecting up my laptop.

I see now. I was confused. You're saying that this is if you can't get a wifi signal on the computer... only on the iPhone.

I have a broadband wireless express card, so if I can get a signal on my cell phone, I can use the card with my computer. It's a tax write-off, thank goodness.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
I see now. I was confused. You're saying that this is if you can't get a wifi signal on the computer... only on the iPhone.

I have a broadband wireless express card, so if I can get a signal on my cell phone, I can use the card with my computer. It's a tax write-off, thank goodness.
I looked into getting one of those cards, but it was just too expensive. Especially considering that I get such a great wifi signal on my iPhone.

I don't travel as often as I used to, or I would probably be able to justify it, but 99% of the time I'm where I can hook up at the hotel for $10 a day and probably only travel (staying in hotels) about 10 days a year.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I looked into getting one of those cards, but it was just too expensive. Especially considering that I get such a great wifi signal on my iPhone.
I've heard that AT&T is working on official support for tethering. So, perhaps for an extra $10 a month you could use the iPhone internet with your computer via bluetooth.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I've heard that AT&T is working on official support for tethering. So, perhaps for an extra $10 a month you could use the iPhone internet with your computer via bluetooth.

BOb
You know, even at only $10 a month, it would be more expensive than paying the hotel rate for the few days I'm at a hotel each year. This year was a heavy hotel year for me .... and it was still only five days.

Most of the time, when I travel, I stay with friends, and my friends generally have really good broadband connections. Especially since so many of them are people I have met on the internet.

Eeek .... just realized it's 9:00 pm and I totally forgot to have dinner tonight. No wonder I'm hungry.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Amazon has promised the store access, content downloads and Wikipedia will remain "free" (meaning "included in the cost of the books you buy"). Other network service is "experimental" and they have always been clear that it may not remain so. I think they will be able to keep the guaranteed services free. They're pretty low-bandwidth. On top of that, Sprint gets a little extra advertisement with Kindle customers as a data provider. If they have a good experience with Whispernet availability, they may choose Sprint as a provider. Plus the Whispernet model could be an interesting model for other businesses. Making life difficult for Amazon wouldn't help them build this new sector. Adding a new connection type could actually strengthen that play.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:10 AM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:

Yeah, but how often do you go to Bumfark, Yukon?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #12
geko29
geko29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Every other AT&T tethering plan is $30/month on top of unlimited data, so it stands to reason that will go for the iPhone as well (meaning $60/month total for data service). And if they do it, it had better be CABLED tethering. Using it as a broadband modem via bluetooth would only work for 15 minutes or so before the dumb thing shut off.
geko29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Yeah, but how often do you go to Bumfark, Yukon?
Bumfark, Yukon?? Hey, that's the sister city to Bumfark, Texas, which is where I live. Small world.

Oh, I go there all the time. It's actually closer to go to their grocery store than to go to ours .... plus the selection is better, and I get to hear people say "eh" all the time instead of "good Christian."

Old 12-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Bumfark, Yukon?? Hey, that's the sister city to Bumfark, Texas, which is where I live. Small world.
You really should move to a blue state!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
You really should move to a blue state!

BOb
Heh .... red state, blue state ... it really doesn't matter to me. Bumfark isn't so much a place as it is a feeling. I've encountered the Bumfark feeling from those people I've met who have been brought up with braces on their brains everywhere I've lived.

It's just more out in the open here .....