Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Marvin for iPhone has been released

I know a lot of us have been watching for it. I don't see an announcement or the Marvin thread here. Time go to try it out.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlemom1 View Post
I know a lot of us have been watching for it. I don't see an announcement or the Marvin thread here. Time go to try it out.
Marvin now has its own forum on this site. But it is good to announce the release as many may not know yet.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
Yep... The new version is also different for iPad and I must say that it took me a little while to find myself back to the experience I had before...

Not really happy at first but well...

I know that Marvin has its own forum but I do not want to follow it there... Even though I am not a big user of MobileReads, I'd rather discuss it here than on another forum.
Gurvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvan View Post
Yep... The new version is also different for iPad and I must say that it took me a little while to find myself back to the experience I had before...

Not really happy at first but well...

I know that Marvin has its own forum but I do not want to follow it there... Even though I am not a big user of MobileReads, I'd rather discuss it here than on another forum.
It was moved so that there could be multiple threads so people might only follow the threads of interest. It is very popular and the thread was getting so long no one could follow it. Yes, the iPad and iPhone apps are different. Each is optimized for the size of the screen and one size does not always fit all. The functions are the same but the UI is a bit different.

If you are a Marvin user you are unlikely to get all of the information here in the Apple thread.

Dale
Old 09-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #5
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
I know and I posted over there too... What I meant was forum on another website than MobileReads...
Old 09-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
For me, the big deal is that Marvin now syncs with Calibre and the syncs your location between devices.

I first tried Marvin out a while back, but found it to be a bit sluggish compared to iBook, so I went back to iBook and kindle. About a week ago, I tried it again. Much more responsive. After updated to the current release, I was able to sync between my iPad and iPad mini with no problem. I then used the new sync with Calibre feature to load the rest of my books into Marvin (around 2000). It's not perfect, but it does a pretty good job. It's not as polished as iBook, but that's not surprising given that iBooks has numerous graphic artists, UI experts and the like working on it, while Marvin is done by one programmer.

For me, the reading part is now more than good enough and the things Marvin does that iBooks doesn't with regards to working with Calibre and organizing my book collection within Marvin make it the app that I'm going to be using.

I went to the marvin blog looking for a donate button, but didn't see one. Maybe that violates the Apple developer's agreement. I wish he would put up a paid version just because I would like to slip him some money for a job well done.

Last edited by pwalker8; 09-14-2013 at 10:51 AM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
For me, the big deal is that Marvin now syncs with Calibre and the syncs your location between devices.

I first tried Marvin out a while back, but found it to be a bit sluggish compared to iBook, so I went back to iBook and kindle. About a week ago, I tried it again. Much more responsive. After updated to the current release, I was able to sync between my iPad and iPad mini with no problem. I then used the new sync with Calibre feature to load the rest of my books into Marvin (around 2000). It's not perfect, but it does a pretty good job. It's not as polished as iBook, but that's not surprising given that iBooks has numerous graphic artists, UI experts and the like working on it, while Marvin is done by one programmer.

For me, the reading part is now more than good enough and the things Marvin does that iBooks doesn't with regards to working with Calibre and organizing my book collection within Marvin make it the app that I'm going to be using.

I went to the marvin blog looking for a donate button, but didn't see one. Maybe that violates the Apple developer's agreement. I wish he would put up a paid version just because I would like to slip him some money for a job well done.
The iPhone version can be purchased. There are some inapp purchases that can be used to say thanks.

Dale
Old 09-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Gurvan
Groupie

For me, the experience with the new Marvin is a bit more sluggish than with the old one...

The fact that the new Marvin shuts itself off when the iPad goes to sleep or when you change from it to another app, makes it a bit slower (iPad 1 under iOS 5.1.1)...

As I don't have a second iPad to link with and as I won't be reading on my iPhone 5, that enhancement won't be signifiant for me.

But anyway, I still love it !
Old 09-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvan View Post
For me, the experience with the new Marvin is a bit more sluggish than with the old one...

The fact that the new Marvin shuts itself off when the iPad goes to sleep or when you change from it to another app, makes it a bit slower (iPad 1 under iOS 5.1.1)...

As I don't have a second iPad to link with and as I won't be reading on my iPhone 5, that enhancement won't be signifiant for me.

But anyway, I still love it !
This has been confirmed as a bug.

If you link to Dropbox (even if you don't use it) it prevents this crash.

It's fixed in the next version submitted to Apple.

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #10
Gurvan
Groupie

Ok, cool ! I'll wait for the next upgrade then...

That is also what makes that App so special : the tremendous support given by its author ! I'll never met one so responsive ! Kudos !!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It reminds me a lot of Calibre back when that product was just starting.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #12
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@Gurvan - for a temporary solution check this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222554

The fix as well as several new features will be submitted to Apple today. Amongst the enhancements in the new version is a considerable performance increase in both startup and library load times.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote