Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #376
Kitty1221
Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: onyx boox, pocketbook, 9.7" e-screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Bah. I was just writing a long post about being careful, learning and doing recherche work - and then, just for fun, I googled for "m92 vnc". It looks as if everything is there - just head over to the right forums (and the wiki) for the device. Here at Mobileread. Not that they will be eager to do hand-holding for an installation of Windows 7, though.
Hi Mr. hawhill

Oh, that's cool! Thank you very much!!
Didn't even think about somebody having done it already.
Now the big problem is that W8 Home Edition can't run VNC thing right?
Seems like W8 Home doesn't allow to be either downgraded to 7 or upgraded (to pro).
Since my brand new PC doesn't officially support the downgrade, I am in a dead-end now.
I probably need to sell my brand new PC on eBay or somewhere.

Thank you for reading
Kitty1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #377
Kitty1221
Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Hi Mr. twobob

Thank you for letting me know his post. I haven't noticed that one.
I have been figuring out how to downgrade my W8 Home to W7 Pro.. but it seems like the manufacturer does not support it so no drivers for W7 that fit my PC model are provided.

I should have consulted before I buy a PC.
Now I need to sell my PC and get a W7 Pro PC I think.....
Old 03-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #378
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hmm...

Is it a Windows Home 8 version. maybe you can upgrade the OS version for less money.

Or perhaps there IS a vnc client for windows Home available from the microsoft store.

I think I would try that first...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #379
Kitty1221

Quote:
hmm...

Is it a Windows Home 8 version. maybe you can upgrade the OS version for less money.

Or perhaps there IS a vnc client for windows Home available from the microsoft store.

I think I would try that first...
Hi Mr. Twobob

I have been looking for the first way.

Tried to boot from DVD drive but it only shows Start PXE for IPo4, Press ESC for exit...

Now I am downloading the trial ver. of Window8 Enterprise edition to see if this PC can even run on it. W8 Enterprise is ok to use the VNC?

Thank you

Last edited by twobob; 03-29-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #380
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Should be... The MS site can give you all the details.

There MIGHT be a vnc for sale from the windows store... Did you check?

I DONT run windows 8 so impossible for me to tell.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #381
Kitty1221

Quote:
Should be... The MS site can give you all the details.

There MIGHT be a vnc for sale from the windows store... Did you check?

I DONT run windows 8 so impossible for me to tell.
I checked the Window Store for VNC but all I got was Team Viewer apps which are free though..

I could download the WIN8 Enterprise.
But seems like there are some drivers not being installed.
Anyway now I am buying a really cheap WIN7 Pro official product key on auction. So maybe I can try that on after getting rid of this WIN8 Enterprise.

Or maybe this PC can be sold before I even try..

Thank you for reading
Old 03-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #382
twobob

Yeah sorry about the Win 8 thing.

Not that Microsofts odd new policies are my fault or nothing... but hey. I'm sorry for you.

Happy Easter.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #383
Kitty1221

VNC with WIN8 Enterprise...

Quote:
Yeah sorry about the Win 8 thing.

Not that Microsofts odd new policies are my fault or nothing... but hey. I'm sorry for you.

Happy Easter.
Hi Twobob

That is kind of you to say that on behalf of MS. I am very upset with WIN8 and I even now dislike MS for that! hahaha

Anyway I have tried everything to install WIN7 into my new PC but everything failed. Firstly, WIN8 is on UEFI and WIN7 seems on BIOS..? So they can't live together on my PC and though I succeeded in installing WIN7 only in BIOS mode with MBR partition, the PC didn't have the Intel Adapter so couldn't install any Intel Network adapters or the likes. And I couldn't do anything further than that.

So I would just try to do things on WIN8 Enterprise. I HOPE the WIN8 Enterprise can do what WIN7 can do.
I installed VNC server and viewer. And changed a bit on VNC server as instructed. But I have no idea what I should do on VNC viewer.
Am I supposed to change the VNC viewer setting or something?
Didn't see any thing I can change for java files...
I know this thread is for Kindle but it seems I cannot post anything in the m92 thread now, please help me. Thank you so much!!!

The instruction goes
2. TightVNC client
==================
Get it from http://www.tightvnc.com/download.php

Some source files are modified and included in this archive.
Modified version is included in this archive.

List of modified source files from TightVNC java viewer 2.5.2:
src/viewer_swing/java/com/glavsoft/viewer/swing/Surface.java
src/viewer_swing/java/com/glavsoft/viewer/Viewer.java
src/main/java/com/glavsoft/rfb/protocol/ReceiverTask.java
Old 04-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #384
twobob

Honestly Win 8 I just dont know about.

Tight Vnc though is well documented and if I recall correctly you should see a dialog box asking you to allow connections)

The java stuff appears to just talk about (possibly?) the modifications needed to make it work on windows 8.. But as I refuse to run windows 8 it is hard for me to know for sure.

So... it's installed you say? And Tight vnc is installed? Are you sure??

Looks like maybe you downloaded: Download TightVNC Java Viewer Version 2.6.2 <-- Not this one!

and not Download TightVNC Version 2.6.4 for Windows <-- GET ME...

You want the second one (TightVNC Version 2.6.4) NOT the viewer... (TightVNC Java Viewer)

Tight vnc is a server that shares your content onto the kindle.

The java viewer is just a addon thing for LOOKING at other SERVERS if I recall correctly.

Okay I just went and checked

TightVNC 2.6 supports all desktop and server versions of Microsoft Windows starting at Windows 2000, up to Windows 8 (x86/x64).

So you should be okay to run it.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #385
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Kitty1221: Seriously, use the M92 board, you will get much better help there.

That said, the instruction you're posting is quite irritating. You need the *viewer* on your e-ink device, and a *server* on the PC side. At least for what you're intending to do - there are applications that would require this the other way around (for displaying the screen of you e-ink device on a PC). So you might simply be looking at the wrong instructions. So on the PC, you can probably just leave the VNC viewer alone for now, just make sure to set up the server correctly - about what the screenshot looks like in twobob's posting above. Then you need to install the VNC viewer on your M92 and configure it. How that is done is quite beyond the scope of this thread. Please don't clutter this thread with discussion on a vastly different thing than the topic. Which is a VNC client for *Kindles*. I realize this may sound harsh, but let's keep some things a bit in order. A proper place would be this forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=220 and a relevant thread seems to be this one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=173792&page=8 - I didn't dive into it, but getting VNC to run seems to be a bit of a crude hack. Looks like some parts of the viewer are indeed running on the PC - so take what I wrote above with a grain of salt.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #386
billyfred
billyfred began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Hey, this vnc viewer for ebook is exactly what I was looking for ! Thank you hawhill.

Now I'm thinking of buying the latest kindle paperwhite... But can anyone confirm that the viewer works well on the KPW ? thx.
billyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #387
billyfred

Anyone with PW kindle ? please ?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #388
twobob

Okay. I'll have a look. Gimme sec.

May require the extra refresh code.

Yeah. works.

needed [root@kindle root]# while :; do usleep 80000; eips '' ; done

as expected.

Last edited by twobob; 04-11-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #389
billyfred

Ok twobob, that's good to know !

That means I'll have to keep my kindle on external power...
...or else I might ruin my battery with that loop.

Thank you.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:17 AM   #390
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I guess I should give the code some caretaking soon. I can adapt it to properly use the KPW/KT e-ink API, so refreshing should work then. But I probably won't find time until at least a week from now.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc