Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #106
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
TuneIn Radio has a web version. Since you can do Flash, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to use it...
Yes, that's what I was trying to use. It may be something to do with the encoding of the specific streams I was trying (BBC).

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #107
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see what you're saying, Holymadness, but you're equating that 'good enough' to a power user's requirements or those of someone with a particular Windows or Mac application that they cannot live without.

There are plenty of people, I'm sure, who are using ultrabooks, and particularly MacBook Airs, which do appeal to bloggers and writers, for whom the set of capabilities here isn't just 'good enough', it's 'good'. They'll be able to do the things that they would normally do on their machine, but get the ease of maintenance and quick start inherent with the Chromebook.

Then, if they have the money, it is just a question of whether or not to spend the extra to get increased performance and build quality. I'm not in a position to buy an expensive Chromebook, Windows machine or a MacBook, so I can't say whether or not I would have gone for the Pixel over one of its competitors.

Probably not, but for a reason that does relate to functionality but is subtly different from 'it lacks capability'. That's a lot of money to spend on a stab in the dark. Again, I won't come down firmly on this for a couple of months until I've got a real feel for ChromeOS, but assuming that I continue to feel as happy with it as I do today then I could see myself buying a more expensive model in the future.

There are people out there with older Chromebook machines, particularly those who got the CR48s. I can imagine that more than a few of them could afford to move up to the Pixel.

Graham
Old 02-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #108
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
There are plenty of people, I'm sure, who are using ultrabooks, and particularly MacBook Airs, which do appeal to bloggers and writers, for whom the set of capabilities here isn't just 'good enough', it's 'good'.
This is where we disagree.

The Windows users I know are particularly attached to Office and Steam, and reject other platforms as a result. Incidentally, this group tends to be quite budget-conscious and values specs and raw power over less tangible elements like design.

The Mac users I know are devotees of a vast range of software (OmniGroup, Reeder, Fantastical, Coda, 1Password, MarsEdit, Transmit, Scrivener, etc.) that they are unwilling to renounce.

I don't see either group giving those up for Chrome OS, which they would consider to be trading down, unless they got something major in return. A $300 computer is a bargain that makes sense. I maintain that $1,300 is way beyond most people's notion of fair value.

Last edited by holymadness; 02-27-2013 at 02:06 PM.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #109
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
The one thing that everything can agree on, whether impressed or not by the Pixel, is that it is dramatically overpriced for its capabilities.

But as you say, it has done its job as a marketing ploy by getting people talking and thinking about Chromebooks for the first time in a long while.
Sorry guys, but I think Chromebooks represent the near term future of personal computing, at least in the Western Hemisphere, Northern Europe, and large parts of Asia. The rest of the world will likely come along a little later.

Is it going to be for EVERYONE? Probably not, what is? But whether or not you adopt this model for your own use, you are going to have to make room in your head for the sort of thinking resulting from it since many people you interact with will be using it.

It will likely take the form of laptops, desktops, tablets, and possibly smartphones, but the model will be essentially similar to what Google is pioneering. However, it won't be just a Chrome environment. Both Firefox and Unbutu are making serious sounding noises in this direction.

Will Microsoft and Apple come along? I don't know, but if they are smart, they will hedge their bets and position their resources for a quick jump in that direction.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #110
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
However, it won't be just a Chrome environment. Both Firefox and Unbutu are making serious sounding noises in this direction.
This is a key point. The apps I've been exploring today - which include a powerful MS Project clone, a full-featured image editor, a Scrivener clone (serviceable but not as fully featured, yet), remote desktop software and various music services - are not ChromeOS apps, they're HTML5 apps, and so are cross platform. Java and Flash promised but never quite achieved this.

I could have a number of devices, all running different operating systems, but as long as their browsers were compliant my chosen suite of apps would run on all of them.

Graham
Old 02-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #111
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Sorry guys, but I think Chromebooks represent the near term future of personal computing, at least in the Western Hemisphere, Northern Europe, and large parts of Asia. The rest of the world will likely come along a little later.

Is it going to be for EVERYONE? Probably not, what is? But whether or not you adopt this model for your own use, you are going to have to make room in your head for the sort of thinking resulting from it since many people you interact with will be using it.

It will likely take the form of laptops, desktops, tablets, and possibly smartphones, but the model will be essentially similar to what Google is pioneering. However, it won't be just a Chrome environment. Both Firefox and Unbutu are making serious sounding noises in this direction.

Will Microsoft and Apple come along? I don't know, but if they are smart, they will hedge their bets and position their resources for a quick jump in that direction.
I can make neither heads nor tails of this comment. What is this model that Google is pioneering? Because for the moment, the future of computing looks absolutely nothing like a Chromebook of any kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
This is a key point. The apps I've been exploring today - which include a powerful MS Project clone, a full-featured image editor, a Scrivener clone (serviceable but not as fully featured, yet), remote desktop software and various music services - are not ChromeOS apps, they're HTML5 apps, and so are cross platform. Java and Flash promised but never quite achieved this.

I could have a number of devices, all running different operating systems, but as long as their browsers were compliant my chosen suite of apps would run on all of them.

Graham
HTML 5 apps will never be as responsive or as polished as native apps. Facebook learned that the hard way on iOS and Android.

Their presence on a platform isn't an advantage, it's evidence of a lack of developer support that can only be overcome with stopgap solutions.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #112
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
The smartest thing that has been written about the Pixel so far is this (c/o David Pierce at The Verge): "Everyone should want a Chromebook Pixel — I certainly do. But almost no one should buy one."
Heh. Since this thread began I've been constantly thinking of a vivid memory I have of reading a computer magazine in the 80s. It was full of articles and ads about and for "home computers" as they were back then and I would pore over them considering their pros and cons. Then there was an article entitled "Dream Machine" all about the Apple Mac. It was retailing IIRC for ~£2000 when the other machines featured were in the £200-£400 range. The tone of the article was "look we know most of us can't afford this but look how cool it is".
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #113
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
HTML 5 apps will never be as responsive or as polished as native apps.
Write this down somewhere. Remember that you said this on 27th Feb 2013. In 5 years time (possibly less) you'll look back and laugh.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #114
latepaul
Wizard

(personally I've already used HTML5 apps that I think are as polished as native ones, but I reckon it'll take a few years for that to be obvious to everyone. Certainly if HTML5 never takes off it won't be due to lack of "polish". Anything you can do in a native app you can do in HTML5.)
Old 03-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #115
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
This comment is off-topic.

I stopped replying to this thread when it became apparent that to continue the discussion would involve a considerable amount of time. Trouble is, I'm trying to devote more of that to creative and editorial projects.

However, I kept reading the thread -- even though I disagree with a great deal of it -- because, despite the vituperative potential of the subject, the pitch of civility and content in subsequent posts has been admirable. Thanks to the other participants for that.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 03-03-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #116
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:

I travel world.
90% time.

Everyone with internet interested in chromebook.
Many questions. Much interest.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #117
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
A chrome book or other such thing won't be in my future until we get rural broadband rather than the metered satellite internet connection we have... and since the cable and other companies have said they have no intention of extending broadband to our area, that's on the far side of never.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #118
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
...who in their right mind will pay this much for browser.
I will
Just bought mine via Ebay, as there's no release in Germany in sight.
With shipment and taxes it will be ca. $ 1.250 (got the 32GB WiFi-only).
Why?
I like the design and I prefer quality products.
I bought a "bargain" tablet (Asus VivoTab Smart) for € 500 about 2 months ago. 2 weeks later I've got the Dell Latitude 10 - for about twice the price but 10 times the quality...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #119
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I will
Just bought mine via Ebay, as there's no release in Germany in sight.
With shipment and taxes it will be ca. $ 1.250 (got the 32GB WiFi-only).
Why?
I like the design and I prefer quality products.
I bought a "bargain" tablet (Asus VivoTab Smart) for € 500 about 2 months ago. 2 weeks later I've got the Dell Latitude 10 - for about twice the price but 10 times the quality...
I am waiting for a Chromebook that has more muscle than a Acer C7 or a Samsung Series 3, but not the rip roaring high class of a Pixel.

But anyway, I hope it is a "NEW" one and not used at that price.

I just noticed that eBay sells a lot of "NEW" musical keyboards. Far more new than used, at least in the Yamaha brand.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #120
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
...But anyway, I hope it is a "NEW" one and not used at that price.

I just noticed that eBay sells a lot of "NEW" musical keyboards. Far more new than used, at least in the Yamaha brand.
I only buy new products.
I couldn't bare the uncertainty, what has happened to a used product before getting my hands on it.
I almost cancelled the purchase. It was described as "new". The comment of eBay said "new = unopened box".
The seller stated: "It was a gift on the conference from Google. The box didn't have a seal. I didn't touch anything, as I already have a 2nd one. But the box doesn't have a seal".
I hope for the best. The Chromebook itself should be shrinkwrapped and never has been booted or started.
Worst case scenario: If I find anything bothersome, I'll have to escalate to eBay.

Sometimes I'm annoyed myself about my "Adrian Monk" like behavior.
I envy my friends, who never clean their tablets, never put them in a cover and simply don't care.
I polish and clean my gadgets all the time - and after 1 year I don't use them anymore all the same...
But I always have been that nitpicky/fault-finding and simply can't help myself.

Fingers crossed, it really comes 100% untouched...

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-26-2013 at 10:23 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote