Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #91
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The link provided above would suggest battery life is pretty good:
You can show me all the stats, reports, reviews, charts, and numbers you like. I own the Nexus 7 and I don't like it as much as the iPad. Isn't that allowed?
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #92
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
You can show me all the stats, reports, reviews, charts, and numbers you like. I own the Nexus 7 and I don't like it as much as the iPad. Isn't that allowed?
That's an odd response. Does that mean the battery life isn't shorter, you just don't like it?

You might have posted something like "You can show me all the stats, reports, reviews, charts, and numbers you like. I own the Nexus 7 and the battery life is shorter for me then on my iPad."

You are allowed to like whatever you choose, of course. You're even allowed to lie about your reasons if you choose to. But the difference in posts is the difference between someone who may have something interesting to say about device performance and use patterns, and someone who is better off added to the ignore list.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #93
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Theoretical battery life based on artificial tests, and battery life in actual usage, are two very different things, and will vary from user to user. Those charts don't really mean anything for any specific user; real-life experience may be completely different based on what a user typically does on the device, which varies from user to user. We've seen this over many years regarding battery life on laptops -- manufacturers typically overstate the laptops' battery life, to get better sales.

For example, I prefer to read in Night Mode (light font on all-black background), and for this reason alone, I'm likely to get better battery life out of my tablet than someone who prefers reading books in Day Mode. (Let alone someone who prefers watching HD videos or playing graphics-demanding games.)

Last edited by Faterson; 01-23-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #94
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I"m not commenting on your DISLIKE, but on your BATTERY issues. Is that not allowed?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #95
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
For example, I prefer to read in Night Mode (light font on all-black background), and for this reason alone, I'm likely to get better battery life out of my tablet than someone who prefers reading books in Day Mode. (Let alone someone who prefers watching HD videos or playing graphics-demanding games.)
Depends on the screen technology, in some cases it makes no difference what the background is. For AMOLED, you are correct that black uses less power as there's no backlight:

Old 01-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #96
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Theoretical battery life based on artificial tests, and battery life in actual usage, are two very different things, and will vary from user to user. Those charts don't really mean anything for any specific user; real-life experience may be completely different based on what a user typically does on the device, which varies from user to user.
A good example for the iPad/Nexus 7 comparison would be that the battery life comparisons are done at 'maximum brightness'. But the iPad is much brighter than the Nexus 7. A comparison done at equal brightnesses would show much longer iPad battery life, as the brightness would be less than the maximum used for the battery life tests.
Also, the battery life chart shows only the iPad 1 and 2, not the iPad 3 that the poster was actually talking about.
This site: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7...nexus-vs-ipad/
measured iPad 3 battery performance as greater. Other sites might measure the reverse, depending on the exact test setup.
Certainly not something that should cause people to insinuate that other posters are liars.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #97
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Depends on the screen technology, in some cases it makes no difference what the background is.
Yes, but as far as I'm aware, this does make a difference on the iPad. Also, screen brightness may be treated differently by various apps on the same iPad. Some e-reader apps will truly help extend the iPad's battery life by the way they treat screen brightness adjustments, while other apps may not. That's why such charts and stats rarely correspond to real-life experience, and are very unreliable.

Last edited by Faterson; 01-23-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #98
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
A good example for the iPad/Nexus 7 comparison would be that the battery life comparisons are done at 'maximum brightness'.
This alone makes the test irrelevant for me, because I never use my iPads at maximum brightness -- least of all when I read books. Even in Night Mode, I like to keep screen brightness in Marvin at about 80% max -- 100% would "burn my eyes", even though it's only the font brightness we're talking about here, the screen background being solid-black all the time.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #99
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Yes, but as far as I'm aware, this does make a difference on the iPad. Also, screen brightness may be treated differently by various apps on the same iPad. Some e-reader apps will truly help extend the iPad's battery life by the way they treat screen brightness adjustments, while other apps may not. That's why such charts and stats rarely correspond to real-life experience, and are very unreliable.
The ipad3 has a backlit IPS display, so it should make little to no difference what the background colour is set to.

Brightness is a totally different issue, I was addressing your initial comments on background colour.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #100
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

No problem. I do notice battery lasts longer when I read e-books rather than browse the Internet, but that's quite natural.

However, I'm certain about the brightness difference, because we discussed this with the Marvin author: some e-reader apps reduce screen brightness by overlaying whatever is on the screen, with a black layer, leading to little or no battery savings. While other e-reader apps, like Marvin, actually adjust screen brightness on the hardware level, helping to extend the tablet's battery life while reading e-books. I think only newer iOS versions make this possible.

That's why such general charts and stats make little sense, even if they pretend to measure battery life "while reading e-books" -- it may all come down to the e-reader apps the user prefers to use, screen brightness within the apps, etc. This is very individual, and will vary from user to user.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #101
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
To whom it may concern:
Moderator Notice
Please feel free to disagree with a person's opinions, or dispute their facts or data, providing you do so politely. Likewise, please address your criticisms to those opinions, facts and data rather than the person. Refer to the MobileRead Guidelines, specifically the full text of the very first item when posting. Please do not make insinuations about the motives of other posters. Remember to use the "Ignore" function if needed to avoid confrontations with impolite or unruly users, but don't announce on-forum the names of members you have placed on ignore.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-23-2013 at 05:16 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #102
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That's an odd response. Does that mean the battery life isn't shorter, you just don't like it?

You might have posted something like "You can show me all the stats, reports, reviews, charts, and numbers you like. I own the Nexus 7 and the battery life is shorter for me then on my iPad."

You are allowed to like whatever you choose, of course. You're even allowed to lie about your reasons if you choose to. But the difference in posts is the difference between someone who may have something interesting to say about device performance and use patterns, and someone who is better off added to the ignore list.
Earlier in this thread I said I didn't like the N7 screen, so someone pointed me to a review about how great the screen is. Then I said I found it has poor battery life, and someone pointed out a series of charts about its battery life. I felt like I was being jumped on just for having the opinion that the iPad is better, for me, than the N7. Lie about my reasons? Huh? I have both devices, and I am just stating a few of the reasons why I happen to prefer one over the other.

I do like the size of the N7, so I'll be replacing it with an iPad mini when the next revision comes out.

Last edited by MeSue; 01-23-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #103
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Earlier in this thread I said I didn't like the N7 screen, so someone pointed me to a review about how great the screen is. Then I said I found it has poor battery life, and someone pointed out a series of charts about its battery life. I felt like I was being jumped on just for having the opinion that the iPad is better, for me, than the N7. Lie about my reasons? Huh? I have both devices, and I am just stating a few of the reasons why I happen to prefer one over the other.

I do like the size of the N7, so I'll be replacing it with an iPad mini when the next revision comes out.
Nobody's jumping on you. You made claims, and people offered evidence that those claims, though might apply to you, do not necessarily apply to everybody else, like battery life. This is a public forum, expressing your opinions, discussing, rebuttal and such is what it is all about.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #104
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Certainly not something that should cause people to insinuate that other posters are liars.
I meant to make no such insinuation regarding the battery performance. I would be curious to hear about her use pattern. I only made the point that she would be ALLOWED to have no reason or even to lie about a reason, but it would be a better to post the reason. 'Cuz what it sounded like was:

"I don't like it because of the screen quality."
"Oh? I heard the screen was pretty good."
"Well, I don't like it because of the battery life."
"Oh? I heard the battery life was very good."
"Well, I just don't like it, ok?"

Last edited by ApK; 01-24-2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Clarifying intent and fixing typos.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #105
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

Okay, then let me make myself clear, hopefully, this time. I bought the Nexus 7 to see if I would like Android OS and to see if I would like a smaller tablet. I found that I did like a smaller tablet, especially for reading (though I prefer a 4:3 aspect ratio over the 16:9 ratio of the Nexus 7--I don't watch videos all that much). However, I found that the display was not as good as what I was used to with my iPad--it washed out when viewed at an angle. And, yes, sometimes I would prop the tablet up on a stand and it is not a straight angle. Also, the battery life was very poor compared to what I get with my larger iPad. Even keeping wifi turned off most of the time, the battery drained very quickly, and all I was using it for was reading. There was rarely a time I would get a low battery warning after one full day of heavy use with the iPad, but it happened often with the Nexus. I felt that many of the apps were not as good as the iPad versions. I felt that scrolling was not as smooth as it is on the iPad. I felt that the Android OS required too much tweaking. There was a time when I used to love tweaking. I guess I have outgrown it. I found the buttons hard to locate by feel. Until I got a case, I was always picking it up upside-down because there was no home button to orient to.

I used the N7 almost exclusively for reading with Moon+ Reader. Occasionally I would check emails or read Facebook, but most of the time I kept WiFi off because the battery drained so quickly.

All this leads me to the conclusion that I would be happier with an iPad mini (preferably with an upgraded screen).