Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
kenjennings
Edge User

Edge not mounting via mini USB on a Linux system.

My understanding( perhaps faulty) is that the mini USB cable plugged into the edge and the other end of the usb cable plugged into a computer should cause the edge to present itself as a USB storage device to the computer, right?

I've tried plugging the edge into a Linux system and the edge acts as if a connection is established (usb connection icon appears at the top of the screen), on the Linux box the /var/log/messages shows interaction between the two (no obvious errors to me), but I get no mounted device or storage on the linux box. (I have a lot of USB hard drives and media storage adapters and they plug and play on this without any issue.)

I've tried this with and without the 32G SDHC card mounted in the edge with no change in results. This is what I see in /var/log/messages . . .

Apr 4 00:57:22 wolverine kernel: usb 1-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
Apr 4 00:57:23 wolverine kernel: usb 1-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Apr 4 00:57:23 wolverine kernel: scsi19 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Apr 4 00:57:23 wolverine kernel: usb-storage: device found at 7
Apr 4 00:57:23 wolverine kernel: usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
Apr 4 00:57:23 wolverine kernel: usb 1-5: New USB device found, idVendor=0bb4, idProduct=0c02
Apr 4 00:57:23 wolverine kernel: usb 1-5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Apr 4 00:57:23 wolverine kernel: usb 1-5: Product: Android
Apr 4 00:57:23 wolverine kernel: usb 1-5: Manufacturer: Android
Apr 4 00:57:23 wolverine kernel: usb 1-5: SerialNumber: 0123456789ABCDEF
Apr 4 00:57:24 wolverine kernel: scsi 19:0:0:0: Direct-Access Android File-Stor Gadg etff PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
Apr 4 00:57:24 wolverine kernel: sd 19:0:0:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI removable disk
Apr 4 00:57:24 wolverine kernel: sd 19:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg5 type 0
Apr 4 00:57:24 wolverine kernel: usb-storage: device scan complete

This is openSuse 11.1. So, it's not that old.
Linux wolverine 2.6.27.45-0.1-default #1 SMP 2010-02-22 16:49:47 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Old 04-04-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
kenjennings
Edge User

Edge not (completely) mounting via mini USB on a Windows Vista system either.

I plugged the edge into my wife's Vista laptop.
It started up the Driver Software Installation process. The status dialog reports these devices:

USB Composite Device. Ready to use
USB Mass Storage Device. Ready to use
Android. Searching . . . . (Now it says "waiting for user inout..." for other reasons)
Android File-Stor Gadg USB Device. Ready to use

Windows could never find an appropriate driver, so I cancelled the dialog. It seems there is no driver for device "Android", but the other three "parts" of the edge seem to be fine.

"Seem" to be. When the edge is plugged into Windows the laptop shows a Removable Disk F:, but opening the "disk" results in a dialog reporting "Please insert a disk in Removable Disk F:".

I've tried this with and without the 32G SDHC card mounted in the edge.

Last edited by kenjennings; 04-04-2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: didn't realize these were editable after the fact.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
brauckmiller
Edge User

Saw the same thing here as well. Running Windows 7 and wanted to copy some PDFs over that way.

Will try again and let Windows format the drive maybe?

Craig

Old 04-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Does not give you access to the SD card, only the EDGE system

An additional note, this procedure only allows you to access the Edge, if you want to add files to your SD card you have to remove it and add files from your PC or MAC. I found this very odd,it's the other way on an Android phone.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Ignore that Windows can't find the "Android" folder.

What all of you are probably missing is the following. Once the cable is connected on both ends, the eDGe will display a USB notification in the Notification Bar on the LCD side. Tap and drag the notification bar to the bottom of the screen to open it, then tap the USB Connection notification. This will pop up a dialog with information - read carefully, then tap "Mount". At this point the connection should be complete.

NOTE: Before disconnecting the cable, first "safely eject" the connection on the PC side, then use the same USB notification on the eDGe to "Unmount". This is necessary to prevent file and storage corruption on the eDGe.
Huh. Missed that. I think I missed that, because that notification display won't stay scrolled down when it is dragged down, so I pegged that as an information display, not an area for input. So, we have to drag it all the way open then bang on the mesage before it unscrolls itself closed.

After mastering that bit of gymnastics the edge USB connection is now working with Linux and Vista.

It appears to work with only the internal memory? That is most inconvenient. It should work with the SD card too. My personal laptops are fine, but the one I have to use in the office doesn't support SDHC. Without USB working to load the SDHC card I'll have to dig up an SDHC adapter for the office laptop.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
... I know in Windows you can create a mount point for one drive as a folder on another driver. Since this is an ancient Unix feature, I'm sure Linux can do it, too, so it's just a matter of enTourage providing this in a software update.
The link idea will not work on the edge given the way internal and external storage arecurrently set up. Ideally, we should be able to do ln -s to create a symbolic link in the internal storage that points to the SD card. However, it turns out that the internal storage is a vfat file system image file mounted using the loop device. Since it is vfat, a unix symbolic link that Linux/Android could follow cannot be created. Tried it. Failed.

I'd guess the next choice would be to recreate the internal storage image file using a unix/linx ext filesystem. The edge-specific programs seem awfully attached to the internal storage. I'm not sure how well they would take to a reformat and empty directory. I'm also not not sure if the device mounting at boot time is welded to mount as vfat. If mounting at boot time is done wrong, and the drive fails to mount, and there are boot utilities that require the drive to be mounted then the edge startup could be hosed.