Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-17-2007, 03:04 AM   #1
coldcell
coldcell began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
PDF troubles

I've hunted around the forums for a while, but I can't find info that helps my current dilemma, please help!

I have a PDF book containing different font sizes, indentations, italics, etc. but it looks way too small in PDF format on my PRS-505. I can save the PDF as html and as rtf from within Adobe Acrobat, but when I do the formatting is lost.

Is there any definitive way of putting a full-sized PDF into a readable, resizeable, ebook, or is it all compromise and workarounds?

Thanks all!
coldcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:32 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Check the Sony forums, but some approaches that might be worth trying (or at least help as search topics) are:
- pdf2lrf from libprs500
- "PDF to LRF"
- RasterFarian
- PDFCropper
- Use custom page sizes from Acrobat
- Use custom landscape page sizes (~3.5" x 4.5") from Acrobat
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldcell View Post
I've hunted around the forums for a while, but I can't find info that helps my current dilemma, please help!

I have a PDF book containing different font sizes, indentations, italics, etc. but it looks way too small in PDF format on my PRS-505. I can save the PDF as html and as rtf from within Adobe Acrobat, but when I do the formatting is lost.

Is there any definitive way of putting a full-sized PDF into a readable, resizeable, ebook, or is it all compromise and workarounds?

Thanks all!
there is no way to squeeze a full-sized PDF into a 6" screen on the 505. You would need some sort of zoom and pan which are not available in that format. The best you can do on the 505 is to take a picture of the page and then use the image viewer.

there are many solutions of the 505 but all require reformatting and do not preserve the page exactly.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
coldcell
coldcell began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I wasn't too concerned with keeping the page layout sacrosanct, just the resizing of fonts to accomodate easy reading. I think this is something called "reflowing", but I'm not sure about that.
coldcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Reflowing basically means that the text flows to the next line, regardless of how wide the display is.

For example, opening a TXT file in NotePad, with wrap turned on, and resizing the window width would result in the text reflowing to accommodate the changing window width.

This is, of course, something that a fixed layout format such as PDF can't do, precisely because it does hold the layout sacrosanct, as you put it. That's its strength, but it does make it problematical to use with displays that aren't large enough to accommodate it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:09 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Reflowing basically means that the text flows to the next line, regardless of how wide the display is.

For example, opening a TXT file in NotePad, with wrap turned on, and resizing the window width would result in the text reflowing to accommodate the changing window width.

This is, of course, something that a fixed layout format such as PDF can't do, precisely because it does hold the layout sacrosanct, as you put it. That's its strength, but it does make it problematical to use with displays that aren't large enough to accommodate it.
tagged PDF's can reflow with the right software and even keep the images in reasonable places most of the time. However, no dedicated eBook reader supports tagged file reflow but supposedly Sony will have it soon. (although without the image reflow possibly)

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote