Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
karljs
karljs has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Forma
Adding page number info to KFX without converting

I'm interesting in adding Kindle page numbering info to KFX files. What I'm hoping to avoid is having to use the KFX input/output plugins to convert KFX-to-KFX in order to use the feature that adds this. While I'm sure this works fine most of the time, I'd like to leave the books exactly as they are without risking introducing formatting issues.

Is there any information about exactly how the KFX file format stores this? Is looking through the corresponding code in the KFX output plugin my best bet?

Thanks for any advice or pointers.
karljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:35 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by karljs View Post
Is there any information about exactly how the KFX file format stores this?
There is no documentation on most aspects of KFX, including this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karljs View Post
Is looking through the corresponding code in the KFX output plugin my best bet?
The KFX Output plugin can add page numbers to existing KFX files without re-converting them if you use the Embed Metadata function. See "Updating book metadata" in the plugin documentation.

Last edited by jhowell; 08-28-2020 at 10:40 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #3
karljs
karljs has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The KFX Output plugin can add page numbers to existing KFX files without re-converting them if you use the Embed Metadata function. See "Updating book metadata" in the plugin documentation.
I hadn't come across the Embed Metadata function of Calibre before, that's perfect. With your plugins it works great. Thanks very much for your work on those, and also for being such a helpful presence here. It's appreciated.
karljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:45 PM   #4
megabyted
megabyted began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021
Hi - I stumbled upon this but I can't quite wrap my head around it...

I recently tried cleaning up my library and converted everything from EPUB to KFX and then sent it all to my new Kindle Paperwhite (2021). Everything looks great, apart from missing page numbers. I do see in the Output section that I had not selected to "Create Approximate Page Numbers."

But do I need to reconvert all of those files, and then re-send them to my device? I'm trying to understand if there's an easy work around to add page numbers to existing files (both local on computer and onto device upon re-connect) but I don't totally get what I'm meant to do here...
megabyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:41 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megabyted View Post
But do I need to reconvert all of those files, and then re-send them to my device? I'm trying to understand if there's an easy work around to add page numbers to existing files (both local on computer and onto device upon re-connect) but I don't totally get what I'm meant to do here...
Change the default KFX Output conversion options to create page numbers. Preferences, Output options, KFX Output, select Create approximate page numbers.

Update the metadata in existing KFX books. Select books with KFX format, Embed metadata (right click), Embed metadata into files of a specific format from selected books, KFX, OK.

Send those books to your Kindle device again.
Advert
Old 12-21-2021, 05:20 PM   #6
megabyted

Okay thanks. I just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly.

1. Do I need to reconvert the KFX files, or once I've selected the page numbers option - even without reconverting - it will get taken care of in the metadata embed step? Or do I need to change the settings - reconvert - embed metadata - resend?

And 2. - question re: resending to device... If I plug in my Kindle, will it just automatically update those existing files on the device... Or do I physically need to click to resend them to device?

2b. Will resending them to device overwrite the existing ones, or will it create duplicates? And if duplicates will be created, do I need to wipe them from Kindle first and then do all of this?

Sorry for being thick - just want to make sure I get it before I do it
Old 12-21-2021, 05:50 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
1. Do I need to reconvert the KFX files, or once I've selected the page numbers option - even without reconverting - it will get taken care of in the metadata embed step? Or do I need to change the settings - reconvert - embed metadata - resend?
Change the setting and then embed metadata. No need to reconvert.

Quote:
And 2. - question re: resending to device... If I plug in my Kindle, will it just automatically update those existing files on the device... Or do I physically need to click to resend them to device?
It is not automatic. You need to resend them.

Quote:
2b. Will resending them to device overwrite the existing ones, or will it create duplicates? And if duplicates will be created, do I need to wipe them from Kindle first and then do all of this?
It will overwrite them as long as the title and author metadata (from with the file name is derived) is unchanged.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:40 PM   #8
megabyted

Thanks, that worked perfectly. Really appreciate it!

One more question re: updating KFX files already on the device...

I'm working to better integrate my device library with Goodreads. But I think the issues is that none of the files in my Calibre library, and thus none of the files on the device, have an ASIN in the ID section of the metadata.

1. If I click to Edit Metadata, add Amazon:XXXXXXXXXX in the IDs section... Would I then do the Embed Metadata trick from earlier to get that ASIN into the file? And then resend to the device? I assumed that would be the case, but I tried all of that, and I'm still getting the Goodreads error on the device... So I'm not sure if the ASIN made it into the library file and then into the device file... Or maybe there's something else entirely? (I saw a workaround with AZW3 files but I'm working with KFX.)

2. Also, any idea if there is an easier way to attach ASINs to books in my library? I considered downloading metadata, but I don't want to erase any existing covers, things like that. Is there a more selective approach - to only download/match/update ASINs, I guess..?
Old 12-24-2021, 11:11 AM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
1. If I click to Edit Metadata, add Amazon:XXXXXXXXXX in the IDs section... Would I then do the Embed Metadata trick from earlier to get that ASIN into the file? And then resend to the device?
Yes, that should work to change the ASIN. The plugin looks for identifiers named "asin", "mobi-asin", or anything that starts with "amazon".

Quote:
I assumed that would be the case, but I tried all of that, and I'm still getting the Goodreads error on the device... So I'm not sure if the ASIN made it into the library file and then into the device file...
You can test whether metadata embedding is working by restarting calibre in debug mode (an option in the Preferences drop down menu) and then doing an embed. When you close calibre the log shown will include a few lines indicating what metadata is present in the KFX file in your library after the change.

Quote:
Or maybe there's something else entirely? (I saw a workaround with AZW3 files but I'm working with KFX.)
It should work the same in KFX format as far as I know.

Quote:
2. Also, any idea if there is an easier way to attach ASINs to books in my library? I considered downloading metadata, but I don't want to erase any existing covers, things like that. Is there a more selective approach - to only download/match/update ASINs, I guess..?
The "Download metadata and covers" selection from the "Edit metadata" dropdown menu allows downloading of metadata without covers which will leave existing covers in place. It also has a "Configure download" feature that you can use to select which fields to update. If you deselect all fields then only identifiers, such as amazon and isbn, will be changed.

I suggest trying it on a limited number of books to make sure that it does what you want.