Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #61
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
I would suggest getting an Apple USB power adapter and a cable with a USB end and a DC end. The Apple USB power adapter can be bought on ebay for about $10. It's the size of an ice cube so very compact and good for travelling. Get a USB to DC port cable and you can plug it into the DC port of the PRS-505. This means you'll be able to read and charge at the same time.

Note, if you do get the Apple USB power adapter, buy one with the green dot. Apple made a recall on earlier models. Those are the ones without the green dot. If you buy the power adapter from Apple's store, it'll cost you $30 which is too expensive. Buy it from eBay.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #62
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I just picked up one of the Jet ones on eBay for $4.45 with free shipping. I had a couple of bucks left in my Paypal acc't so it only turned out to cost me $1.86.

Next week - the reader.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #63
Waba
Groupie
Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PRS-350/950, HP Touchpad, Kindle Keyboard
I have an ancient (and awesome*) Creative Zen Xtra that uses a 5v - 1.5a charger... Plugs looked identical to my roommates PSP charger. After a snifter o wine I took the plunge... Instantly saw the little lightning bolt next to the battery meter. Yay, one less thing to buy and carry!

I'm thinking the charging in-port on the 505 is a lot more common than most gizmos. Knowing Sony, if this gets out... they'll make a proprietary one that is backasswards.

Here's a Sony PSP charger on Amazon marketplace for .72 + 2.98 shipping = $3.70 total.. the reviews are decent.

*While huge, the Zen Xtra has a user a very easily replaceable, cheap 2.5" hard drive. I've put about 7 hard drives in the thing (most warranty replacements).... I shudder to think how much replacement ipods would have cost.

Last edited by Waba; 03-30-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Waba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #64
sirhunter2010
sirhunter2010 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sirhunter2010 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sirhunter2010 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
Why go cheap??!!??

I'm new to the PRS-505 but not to electronics or technology and I am mystified at most of your comments on this subject.

Why would any of you, who have already invested $300.00 plus dollars on a delightfully designed PRS-505 reader, purchase a substandard power adapter that allows you to efficiently charge your reader - penny wise dollar stupid.

I have three PSP's but I purchased the Sony PRS-505 power adapter from Sony because there is a certain continuity to my act - Sony Reader and Sony power adapter for Sony Reader and manufactured and WARRANTIED by Sony. To do otherwise is simply silly from a investment point of view.

Personally I think that $29.99 for a Sony PRS-505 power adapter is cheap for peace of mind.

Hunter
sirhunter2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #65
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhunter2010 View Post
I'm new to the PRS-505 but not to electronics or technology and I am mystified at most of your comments on this subject.

Why would any of you, who have already invested $300.00 plus dollars on a delightfully designed PRS-505 reader, purchase a substandard power adapter that allows you to efficiently charge your reader - penny wise dollar stupid.

I have three PSP's but I purchased the Sony PRS-505 power adapter from Sony because there is a certain continuity to my act - Sony Reader and Sony power adapter for Sony Reader and manufactured and WARRANTIED by Sony. To do otherwise is simply silly from a investment point of view.

Personally I think that $29.99 for a Sony PRS-505 power adapter is cheap for peace of mind.

Hunter
Actually, from what I understand Sony themselves said the PSP charger is a good substitute. It's been tried and tested as well. If it makes you feel better, I did an insane amount of research before going out and buying a PSP charger to make sure it would work (I would not plug something into my 505 willy-nilly) and even when I did I bought the Sony branded one.

And also, my 505 was a gift.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #66
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Also--most of the PSP chargers are a lot smaller than the "mini-brick" that Sony sells as the official charger for the 505. I bought the official charger prior to realizing that the PSP chargers would work, but if I knew then what I knew now, I would buy a smaller PSP charger which would be much more convenient for me to travel with.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #67
sirhunter2010
sirhunter2010 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sirhunter2010 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sirhunter2010 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Actually, from what I understand Sony themselves said the PSP charger is a good substitute. It's been tried and tested as well. If it makes you feel better, I did an insane amount of research before going out and buying a PSP charger to make sure it would work (I would not plug something into my 505 willy-nilly) and even when I did I bought the Sony branded one.

And also, my 505 was a gift.
I don't debate your diligence with respect to your research on the topic of appropriate power supplies for the PRS-505.

What I'm curious about is those individuals that would spend 5 dollars on a PSP generic charger that is rated at 450 mA when the device clearly requires a 5.2 volt 2000 mA supply which both the official PRS-505 and the official PSP power supplies provide. The .2 under-volt with respect to the Sony PSP charger is not issue of any merit.

I just would hate to see anybody shorten the life expectancy of their PRS-505 needlessly by using sub-standard charging units notwithstanding the obvious warranty issues arising from such use.

In terms of my own buying proclivities, when I buy a Nikon D3X DSLR ($6,000 plus camera body), why would I use a substandard lens manufactured by a third party company rather than a using a Nikon Nikkor Professional standard lens. My point is that there is something to be said for continuity when it comes to accessories. My issue with Sony is that a bloody charging unit SHOULD NOT be a bloody accessory and particularly in light of the fact that apparently the USB charging is slow at best and unreliable at worst. Shame on Sony for this oversight. Even with my any one of my three $169.00 (canadian) PSP units I found a charging unit in the packaging for each one of them.

Nice bloody gift btw.

Hunter
Old 04-02-2009, 04:24 AM   #68
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
What I'm curious about is ...
Well, to answer a few of your misconceptions...

> PSP generic charger that is rated at 450 mA

1) Not all generic chargers are rated at 450mA - Mine supplies 2A, just like the OEM ones.
2) A lower ampage won't hurt the device, other than by increasing the time taken to charge the battery.

> sub-standard charging units

Just because something's a generic charger, does not make it sub-standard - they're two completely different things.

> Why would I use a substandard lens manufactured by a third party company rather than a using a Nikon Nikkor Professional standard lens.

Again, generic != substandard. It's maybe more like ensuring that you've got the full set of filters, rather than just the ones that fit your lenses...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:17 AM   #69
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
USB charging amperages can vary, from less then the mentioned 450mA to little less then the 2A AC charger, I'm certain Sony took that into consideration.

The lens analogy is a bad one, the quality of the lens directly affects the intended purpose of the camera. As long as the charger isn't completely out of range then it has absolutely no effect on the intended purpose of the reader.

I think the habits of the user are going to have an immensely greater impact on the lifespan of the battery. The storage conditions, times between charging, whether it is charged regularly without being drained, etc. Most likely the generic chargers are made in the same factory as the Sony original after-hours, just unbranded. A -very- common practice.

But I absolutely agree with you that the charger should come with it.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #70
hekkel
Enthusiast
hekkel is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, Cybook Opus
Quote:
Why not? The quality of the electrons coming out of an alternative charger are the same as those coming from an original one. My home-made charger may not provide the full 2A, but that's not a problem either. I don't see what I would have gained if I had invested $29 more on it.

And by recycling an old phone charger I reduced my global footprint compared to buying a new one.

If I could have bought an equal e-Reader for $10, I wouldn't have hesitated.

-maarten
hekkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #71
sirhunter2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Well, to answer a few of your misconceptions...

Just because something's a generic charger, does not make it sub-standard - they're two completely different things.

> Why would I use a substandard lens manufactured by a third party company rather than a using a Nikon Nikkor Professional standard lens.

Again, generic != substandard. It's maybe more like ensuring that you've got the full set of filters, rather than just the ones that fit your lenses...
I have NO misconceptions mate. I've learned, the hard way, time and time again that in general and with very few exceptions that generic does equal lesser value for one's dollar and in particular in the world of photography. I'm a professional photographer and have been for over 29 years and I'm telling you straight that I will be a cold day in hell when I put a generic lens on any of my Nikons, Pentax 6x7 or my Hasselblad H3. The lens are simply not designed to the same tolerances nor is the optic reproduction anywhere near as faithful. If you enjoy your photographs with multiple aberrations then by all means use a "generic" lens set. As far as filters go, don't ever cheap out on filters - go big or stay home because your lens is only as good as the bloody filter you stick on the bloody end of your lens and if it's some cheap ass knock-off then you might as well chuck the whole thing.

Enough said - I'm bored already.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #72
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
I have NO misconceptions mate.
Well, mate, the first one you've got is that electricity is the same as optics - while I'd certainly not try & argue that you should expect the same from a generic lens as a top-of-the-range one, your experience as a professional photographer means zip when discussing low-power charging circuits!

> As far as filters go, don't ever cheap out on filters

It was an analogy...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #73
sirhunter2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
The lens analogy is a bad one, the quality of the lens directly affects the intended purpose of the camera. As long as the charger isn't completely out of range then it has absolutely no effect on the intended purpose of the reader. -MJ

If you think that a poorly manufactured charger cannot have adverse effects on the intended purpose of the reader, that is to be able to read uninterrupted and without the annoyance of having to recharge your unit frequently and repeatedly because you used said knockoff charger, then you are mistaken.

Li-ion batteries are not as durable as nickel metal hydride or nickel-cadmium designs, and can be extremely dangerous if mistreated. They may explode if overheated or if charged to an excessively high voltage. Furthermore, they may be irreversibly damaged if discharged below a certain voltage.

Again, obviously blowing up your bloody reader is NOT what Sony had or has intended. Obviously this would be a worst case scenario with a grossly manufactured power supply or a grossly mismatched voltage directed at the unit. HOWEVER, given some of the ideas floated around this particular topic, I can see that it is definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

Enough said. I'm bored already.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #74
sirhunter2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
your experience as a professional photographer means zip when discussing low-power charging circuits
I agree. I was off topic. Sorry.

Caveat, I use Lithium Ion batteries in photography as well and those also require charging and by extension also require the appropriate charger to do so. Does that fact that my father is a retired electrical engineer and I slept in the same house as he did till I left home at 18? Guess not.

Last edited by sirhunter2010; 04-02-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #75
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
If you think that a poorly manufactured charger cannot have adverse effects on the intended purpose of the reader, that is to be able to read uninterrupted and without the annoyance of having to recharge your unit frequently and repeatedly because you used said knockoff charger, then you are mistaken.
This is highly dependent on the manufacturer. I don't know much about lenses, but perhaps Nikon makes their own lenses. They don't OEM them or sell them to be branded by other names. But, in many other places this is done all the time.

This is big in home appliances. Whirlpool makes Sears appliances for example. And, there are many times where a Sears model number is the exact equivalent to a Whirlpool model. But, the Sears one will be cheaper.

This is extremely true in electronics. For example, there are only a 5 OEM manufactures of Laptops. So, you can by a Dell for example or a Sager, and they are both made by the same OEM, Compal I think. (Last I checked). But the Dell will cost alot more.

But, a UL listed charger with Voltage ratings of X really is the same whether it cost your $30 or $10.

Do you really think a 6' long HDMI "Monster" cable that cost you $120 is any better that one that you can buy on monoprice.com for $15. Well, if you do, these brand name companies love you.

More expensive doesn't always mean more better.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote