Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 06-23-2022, 07:48 PM   #1
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Folders - Books and Adobe

After locking up increasingly often over the past few weeks, my beloved Tolino Shine 2 finally bricked itself. Oh well, I definitely got my $35 worth!

I have now acquired a cheap Tolino Vision. The home button doesn't work and the pages don't turn as smoothly, but at least it works if I need to borrow Overdrive library books when away from my computer and don't want to worry whether Kobo will have the correct edition to match the library. And as a bonus, I can use the case from the Shine.

Now to the files issue - I used Adobe Digital Editions to send my purchased books to my new Tolino but they didn't show up on the reader. Some googling informed me that the books need to be in the Books folder on the Tolino. It turned out Adobe had sent them to an Adobe folder. I've now gotten the books moved to the correct folder so I can access them on the reader.

My question is, I don't remember having to move books between folders on my old Tolino after using Adobe. Is this going to happen every time I transfer a book using Adobe Digital Editions? is there any way to make it automatically send the books to the correct folder?

I don't buy a lot of books so this isn't a big problem, just figured I'd ask.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:20 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Sorry to hear about your Shine 2. I don't use Adobe Digital Editions, so not much help there. As for your Home key, did you check the settings under Reading Settings? The home key has three options, tap, hold for two seconds or deactivate. It's possible that yours is deactivated. I don't know why your Vision would be slower than the Shine 2, unless (maybe) it's the original one (Vision 1)? I wonder if the Shine 2 runs off an SD Card (like a Kobo) and whether it would be possible to find an image?

Have you tried a reset? You may (probably) already know this, but there is a reset button on the bottom of the Shine 2.

The Shine 2 definitely has a microSD card on its system board...

https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/F...2hd-inside.jpg

...so it might be possible to find an image and rebuild it.

You might find a source for the Shine 2 image from someone posting in this thread...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=327960

If not, I still have a working Shine 2, if someone can walk me through obtaining an SD Image from it, I would be glad to try.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-25-2022 at 02:39 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:53 PM   #3
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
The home key on the Vision started working - who knows why....

I think it is an original Vision - in the settings/info there is no number listed, just says "Tolino Vision".

The page turn may just seem slow because I'd been reading exclusively on the Kobo Clara for a couple weeks before getting the Vision. The Clara page turns were always faster than the Shine.

Anyway, the Vision is usable to me as is. It does work with Overdrive which was my top priority. And it did let me update to software version 15.3.0.

I didn't find out about the pinhole reset button on the Shine until after it was bricked and it doesn't do anything now. Don't know if it would have helped if I found it while the Shine was still semi functional. For a while there, if it locked up I could get it going again by plugging it up to a charger and then holding down the top button until a menu popped up allowing me to choose restart or shut down. That doesn't happen any more. I tried connecting it to my PC but it's not recognized.

I'm not that tech savvy so I'm probably not going to attempt anything further to resurrect it. But I appreciate your offer of assistance.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:32 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I didn't find out about the pinhole reset button on the Shine until after it was bricked and it doesn't do anything now.
You might try plugging the Shine into a power source and then pushing the reset button, but it looks like you would rather read then mess with the devices. How "odd."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote