Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #16
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
The major thing for me would be between Kindle 2 and prs-505. If they are the same price I would go kindle 2. If it wasn't for sony card deal making it 150 with free shipping, and looking at roughly same price for each, I would have to take hard long look. But kindle 2 299 plus 30 dollars for cover or 150 for prs-505 that comes with cover, no brainer! Get the prs-505! yeah, baby!
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:04 AM   #17
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I signed up for the credit card, just now waiting to hear back if I was approved. If I get it, I'll go with the PRS505, since the price difference between the two then will be too big to ignore. If not, well, not sure then, guess still undecided.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I htink I remember reading that someone put in an 8GB in a V3 and it worked fine. Just not officially supported.

The V5 (Astak's Pocket Pro) officially supports up to 16GB cards.
I had a fleeting thought about this when I was in Fry's the other day to look at the prices for 16gb Class 6 cards for my DSLR camera. The card the camera has now is a Polaroid (actually, it's made by PNY) 8gb SDHC Class 4. I was, at the same time, considering getting a 4gb Kingston card for my EZReader (it came with a 2gb Kingston) and thought perhaps I could try sticking the Polaroid 8gb in it first to see if it would even work.

It did. So NOW...the plan is to not worry about also buying a bigger card for the reader and just get the bigger, faster card for the camera then move its current card to the reader.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #19
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmedic View Post
I had a fleeting thought about this when I was in Fry's the other day to look at the prices for 16gb Class 6 cards for my DSLR camera. The card the camera has now is a Polaroid (actually, it's made by PNY) 8gb SDHC Class 4. I was, at the same time, considering getting a 4gb Kingston card for my EZReader (it came with a 2gb Kingston) and thought perhaps I could try sticking the Polaroid 8gb in it first to see if it would even work.

It did. So NOW...the plan is to not worry about also buying a bigger card for the reader and just get the bigger, faster card for the camera then move its current card to the reader.
I think the GB size isn't the real issue, but how fast the unit can access a filled card. If it chugs along at a snails pace while accessing an 8gb, then they rate it as supporting a 4gb.

Maybe the pocketpro can access a filled up 16gb releatively quickly, but turtles at a filled 32. Hence they rate it as supporting a 16gb.
-----

Ooooh! Look what I just did! I used the word turtle as a verb!!! I now claim the honor of being the FIRST person to perform this task. Give me my crown!
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #20
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
[QUOTE=griffonwing;519322]I think the GB size isn't the real issue, but how fast the unit can access a filled card. If it chugs along at a snails pace while accessing an 8gb, then they rate it as supporting a 4gb.

Maybe the pocketpro can access a filled up 16gb releatively quickly, but turtles at a filled 32. Hence they rate it as supporting a 16gb.
-----
QUOTE]

I've been thinking about that, actually. Just wondering if a higher (faster) class card would make any difference but it also depends on the device's ability to read from/write to speeds as well. Class 6 = 6mb/sec, Class 4 = 4mb/sec and Class 2 = 2mb/sec. The current 2gb card included with the reader is Class 4.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #21
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmedic View Post
I've been thinking about that, actually. Just wondering if a higher (faster) class card would make any difference but it also depends on the device's ability to read from/write to speeds as well. Class 6 = 6mb/sec, Class 4 = 4mb/sec and Class 2 = 2mb/sec. The current 2gb card included with the reader is Class 4.
Ahh, yes. I totally forgot about the speed of the card itself. In that case, I think a high classed, fast 32GB would work fine in the PPro.

Unfortunately, I'm not willing to shell out the money for a superfast 32GB sd card just to test the theory.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote