Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-28-2009, 12:58 AM   #16
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I just started reading the first novel in this series, after a day I'm already 2/3rds in. I love it. its witty, well written, and honor is spunky.

I love it. the bit when the big H visited the ship had me in stitches.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #17
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
This is one of my favorite series. I highly recommend it.
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #18
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
I'll give it a try after I finish "Pebble in the Sky" by Asimov.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #19
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I'll give it a try after I finish "Pebble in the Sky" by Asimov.
I highly recommend it. A lot of action and quite fascinating political stuff behind the scenes.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #20
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I just started reading the first novel in this series, after a day I'm already 2/3rds in. I love it. its witty, well written, and honor is spunky.

I love it. the bit when the big H visited the ship had me in stitches.
Which part is "the bit when the big H visited the ship"?? That description alone leaves me with too many different possibilities...

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #21
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Which part is "the bit when the big H visited the ship"?? That description alone leaves me with too many different possibilities...

Xenophon
Hauptmann?
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #22
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
If "the Big H" visiting the ship is Hauptmann, that makes perfect sense. There's just too many "H" characters running around...

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #23
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
lol, true, but only one character in the entire book ever steps aboard fearless as a visitor.

I just finished the first book today. and loved it
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There's the main line, following Honor. There are some Anthologies, and there are two sub-lines.

But you've a while to go until you hit these. There's a straight order of

On Basilisk Station (1993) ISBN 0-671-57793-X
The Honor of the Queen (1993) ISBN 0-671-57864-2
The Short Victorious War (1994) ISBN 0-671-87596-5
Field of Dishonor (1994) ISBN 0-671-57820-0
Flag in Exile (1995) ISBN 0-671-31980-9
Honor Among Enemies (1996) ISBN 0-671-87723-2
In Enemy Hands (1997) ISBN 0-671-57770-0
Echoes of Honor (1998) ISBN 0-671-57833-2
Ashes of Victory (2000) ISBN 0-671-57854-5

Then I'd put in the four anthologies, that have back-story, but also some lead-in to the other books.
More Than Honor (1998) ISBN 0-671-87857-3
Worlds of Honor (1999) ISBN 0-671-57855-3
Changer of Worlds (2001) ISBN 0-671-31975-2
The Service of the Sword (2003) ISBN 0-7434-3599-0

And then
Crown of Slaves (2003) ISBN 0-7434-7148-2 with Eric Flint

After that, back to mainline Honor for
War of Honor (October 2002) ISBN 0-7434-3545-1
At All Costs (November 2005) ISBN 1-4165-0911-9

and finally
The Shadow of Saganami (2004) ISBN 0-7434-8852-0
Storm from the Shadows (2009) ISBN 978-1416591474

Hopefully, by the time you've got through that lot, we'll have Torch for Freedom and Mission of Honor.
I've been asked to update this. So perhaps I will, but just now I'm off dancing.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #25
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Pshrynk - As an aside, have you read the Miles Vorkosigan universe? I totally adore them, and am starting over at the beginning again. Strongly character driven, though good futuristic SF too. I have an order list for those, to keep myself straight, should you be interested.

But since I *have* finished them, I'm copying down these lists for Honor Harrington, and will check them out!

bgDeb
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #26
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I followed the chronological listing on Wikipedia, interspersing the short stories where they fall and also mingling both the Saganami Island sequence and Wages of Sin sequence wherever they fell chronologically.

There's also a prequel trilogy (so far) featuring Honor's grandmother Stephanie -- she who first was adopted by a treecat. A Beautiful Friendship, Fire Season, and The Treecat Wars.

And a new precursor series (Manticore Ascendant) with A Call to Duty and A Call to Arms, written with Timothy Zahn.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #27
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post

BTW, I do NOT recommend reading Storm from the Shadows right now if you don't wan't to risk losing your reader. I almost threw mine on the floor in disgust over the damn cliffhanger. The wait to the next book is not going to be easy...
You're behind the times. Storm from the Shadows was published in 2009 and the next book in the Saganami sequence Shadow of Freedom was published in 2013.

The last book published in 2014 was Cauldron of Ghosts, the third book in the Crown of Slaves series.

Unfortunately both books leave even more unanswered questions and cliffhangers.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
OK, updated Honor Harrington list

On Basilisk Station (1993) ISBN 0-671-57793-X
The Honor of the Queen (1993) ISBN 0-671-57864-2
The Short Victorious War (1994) ISBN 0-671-87596-5
Field of Dishonor (1994) ISBN 0-671-57820-0
Flag in Exile (1995) ISBN 0-671-31980-9
Honor Among Enemies (1996) ISBN 0-671-87723-2
In Enemy Hands (1997) ISBN 0-671-57770-0
Echoes of Honor (1998) ISBN 0-671-57833-2
Ashes of Victory (2000) ISBN 0-671-57854-5

Then I'd put in the four anthologies, that have back-story, but also some lead-in to the other books.
More Than Honor (1998) ISBN 0-671-87857-3
Worlds of Honor (1999) ISBN 0-671-57855-3
Changer of Worlds (2001) ISBN 0-671-31975-2
The Service of the Sword (2003) ISBN 0-7434-3599-0

then the spy sub-series
Crown of Slaves (2003) ISBN 0-7434-7148-2 with Eric Flint
Torch of Freedom (2009) ISBN 1-4391-3305-0 with Eric Flint

After that, back to mainline Honor for
War of Honor (October 2002) ISBN 0-7434-3545-1
At All Costs (November 2005) ISBN 1-4165-0911-9

And follow those with the Talbot sector novels
The Shadow of Saganami (2004) ISBN 0-7434-8852-0
Storm from the Shadows (2009) ISBN 978-1416591474

and back to mainline for
Mission of Honor (2010) ISBN 1-4391-3361-1
A Rising Thunder (2012) ISBN 1-4767-3612-X

At this point you might as well catch up on the anthologies,
In Fire Forged (2011) ISBN 978-1-4391-3414-6
Beginnings (2013) ISBN 978-1451639032

And then back to the Talbot sector for
Shadow of Freedom (2013) ISBN 1-4516-3869-8

And catch up with Cachat, etc in
Cauldron of Ghosts (2014) ISBN 9781476736334; with Eric Flint

And then there's the Stephanie Harrington ("Star Kingdom") novels and the Travis Long ("Manticore Ascendant") which should just be read in their individual series publication order, but don't need to be read in any particular way with relation to the 'contemporary' Honor Harrington novels.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #29
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
There is also HOUSE OF STEEL.

The compendium section should be read near the end but the introductory Novella is a nice setup for ON BASILISK STATION.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #30
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I've read the first two a couple of years ago. Enjoyed them both, but got sidetracked on other books. Think I need to try them again.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote