Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
Sapien
Sapien began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Eliminating the margins on PDF's

Hi Everyone,

Just got my 505 last week, and now I can't go anywhere without my little companion.

Now for my question: I have some PDF's that I would love to be able to read on the 505, but the text is just a little too tiny. I know about the reflow option by using the zoom, but I tend to loose to much of the formatting. However, I would be satisfied if I could crop the the margins and according to the wiki entry below, then this should be possible.
But I can´t get it to work, so I am wondering if that is a faulty entry?

From the Wiki (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505):

"
PDFs are so small as to be unreadable...The PRS-505 sizes PDF pages to the Reader's (tiny) screen. First, if you are in portrait mode, hold the button labeled with a magnifying glass for 5 seconds to change into landscape mode. You will only see half a page at a time, but it will be enlarged. Second, at the bottom of the screen, you will see a circle with an "S" or a "M." If you see the "S," press the button labeled with a magnifying glass for half a second. This will eliminate the margins.
"

Cheers, Alex
Sapien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
Juggle4Evr
Connoisseur
Juggle4Evr doesn't litterJuggle4Evr doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien View Post
However, I would be satisfied if I could crop the the margins and according to the wiki entry below, then this should be possible.
Hi,

well if you're a Mac user I can recommend Skim (http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/). I use it to reduce the margins of (non-DRMed) PDFs.

Bye,
Juergen
Juggle4Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi Alex

This should have been so before the Jully 2008 firmware upgrade - when reflowing PDF text files was introduced.
Now what you get when pushing the “enlarge” button” is reflowing the text, be it in portrait more or landscape mode.

What you can do now, is to cut the white margins in the PDF with a PDF editing software, per example in Acrobat you do it by accessing “Document” and “Crop Pages” and activate “Remove White Margins” or do it manually.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
jefferson_frantz
jefferson_frantz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 and Sony Reader PRS 505
Hi Sapien.
You can use Nitro PDF, it works for me

Jeff.
jefferson_frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
The problem with NitroPDF and Acrobat is that they're not free.

There are a whole bunch of free applications available here at MobileRead that work great for making PDFs easier to read on a Sony PRS-505. I've been experimenting with a bunch of them.

Here's a list of the ones I've tried (with links):
PDFLRF
Rasterfarian
PDFread
SoPDF
PaperCrop

All of these can remove the margins and other whitespace.

Some of those convert from .PDF to .LRF; some leave in .PDF format. Either format works on the Sony, so that doesn't matter much to me personally. Some of them convert the text to images, which can multiply file size, but some will only use images if you begin with an image-based .PDF (e.g., from a scan).

Personally, I've mainly been using SoPDF for text-based .PDFs, since it doesn't automatically convert it to images (though it does remove the margins) -- I even made a Windows GUI for it, which you'll find in the thread. It's also blazingly fast compared to some of the others, including Acrobat itself, which does this rather slowly.

I've been using PDFLRF for .PDFs that are already image based, especially two-column ones. It works very well.

I occasionally use PaperCrop if the original has more than two columns, or uneven columns.

Last edited by frabjous; 03-12-2009 at 03:37 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Sapien
Sapien began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Thanks to all of you for the tips.

Some of the PDF's I have are protected, so I guess that I won't have much luck in using converting tools on them. But I will definately try out my luck with the tools on the reminder.

And thanks DDHarriman for clearing up the "Press the magnifying glass for half a second" issue.
Sapien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
I tried pressing the magnifying glass for half a second to get rid of the margins but all it did was change the font size to medium, am I doing something wrong or did I just misunderstand something?
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi Alex

This should have been so before the Jully 2008 firmware upgrade - when reflowing PDF text files was introduced.
Now what you get when pushing the “enlarge” button” is reflowing the text, be it in portrait more or landscape mode.

What you can do now, is to cut the white margins in the PDF with a PDF editing software, per example in Acrobat you do it by accessing “Document” and “Crop Pages” and activate “Remove White Margins” or do it manually.

Best regards,
Nope, that won't work. The margins are still in the document, they will only be "hidden" in Acrobat. When viewed on the Reader the margins will be as wide as ever.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #9
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
I just installed the trial of NitroPDF and it works great. I can actually read full pages from my Microsoft Press books now
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
doreenjoy,

I've been able to crop .pdfs and view them sans the margins (and in some instances cropped off text / image) on my Sony PRS-505 --- what tool are you using to crop .pdfs? Do you have an example of one which views cropped in Adobe Reader, but is un-cropped when viewed on an ebook reader?

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Hi doreenjoy,

I’m sorry but with acrobat it will.
As you say it really does not crop the margins just hides them, but they are not shown in the reader.
Take care that if the final cropped page does not respect the screen ratio (length by with), it will “fill” with a little white margin the smaller side.
In landscape mode, it just “cuts” the page in 2 superimposing it a tinny little bit - the final part of the first half is greyed out and repeats itself in the begin of the second half. Still no margins.

Best regards,

Last edited by DDHarriman; 09-03-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #12
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi doreenjoy,

I’m sorry but with acrobat it will.
As you say it really does not crop the margins just hides them, but they are not shown in the reader.
Take care that if the final cropped page does not respect the screen ratio (length by with), it will “fill” with a little white margin the smaller side.
In landscape mode, it just “cuts” the page in 2 superimposing it a tinny little bit - the final part of the first half is greyed out and repeats itself in the begin of the second half. Still no margins.

Best regards,
I've been using Acrobat 5.0 and I still see the huge full margins in the reader. Pretty sure this isn't user error. Perhaps I need a newer version.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:00 AM   #13
DDHarriman
Guru

Hi

Probably that’s the case - I do not have version 5 at hand to test.

Using version 8 here.
If you want, you can send me one pdf (can be just a page), per example by PM if you want, that you have tested and got no good results and I will very pleased into sending you back one done with version 8 for you to test in your reader.

Best regards,
Old 09-04-2009, 06:38 AM   #14
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

That's very kind of you. I believe one of my work computers has a more recent version of Acrobat...I'll definitely have to test it out.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:02 AM   #15
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I crop .pdfs using Acrobat (Professional) 7, 8 and 9 quite regularly and they all display correctly in the reader --- just be sure to alter the trim box.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote