Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
moredrowsy
Connoisseur
moredrowsy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Recs for extremely character-driven and less world building with romantic subplot?

I've been looking for books similar to Lois McMaster Bujold's Curse of Chalion or Jennifer Roberson's Tiger and Del series but what I recently realized is that I enjoy any type books with romance or romantic subplots with extremely character-driven, much much less world building, and non-YA books. I found that what I enjoy most in books are characters, their actions, and developments and tend to just let my own imagination to fill in the world, rather than allow the author meander with world building info dumps.

Any knowledgeable souls have good recommendations for something like that?

Thank you.

Other books I also like:
A Thousand Words for Stranger by Julie E. Czerneda
The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury
The Diamond Throne by David Eddings
Happiness for Beginners by Katherine Center
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin
Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf
What We Find by Robyn Carr
moredrowsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:55 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Have you tried other Bujold books? The Sharing Knife series is romantic as well as fantasy, and several of the Vorkosigan books are romances also. Otherwise, if you're less interested in world-building, the world of contemporary romance might be your bag.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2017, 04:46 AM   #3
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Amaryllis, Orchid and Zinnia by Jayne Castle, plus other paranormals by Castle.
Sweet Starfire, Crystal Flame, and Shields Lady by Jayne Krentz plus others.
The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley.
Robin Owens Celta series.
J.D. Robb's In Death series. It's listed as mystery but set in the future, but I read them for the relationships and how they grow and change between the characters.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #4
moredrowsy
Connoisseur

@meeera

I have tried The Sharing Knife series and loved the first book but the subsequent books were too slow or in other words, has no (strong) direction in the plot. Unfortunately while I do like the characters, I found myself falling asleep in the plot.

I also have read some of the Vorkosigan books but for some reason I can't pinpoint, I didn't enjoy them as much as I would have thought.

@crossi

Jayne Castle/Jayne Krentz, Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb are a hit and miss for me. I'll probably go back to them later. I read most of Robin McKinley stuff too.
Will try out Robin Owens. Thanks
Old 05-25-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
If you also like thrillers, try Gennita Low.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Have you tried Michelle Sagara's Chronicles of Elantra series? The romantic subplot is very minor. I'm not a huge fan of fantasy, but I like this series. I haven't read either of the series you mentioned, so I don't know how it compares.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #7
moredrowsy
Connoisseur

I have Elantra on my to-read list but I haven't gotten around to get the first book yet. Will see if it's in the library. I never heard of Gennita Low but I'll try her out. Thanks guys/gals.