Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Is there any downside to making REALLY short epubs?

I was whipping out some novel-length epubs for advanced readers and I noticed for the .epub to be converted to a .mobi in Kindlegen I had to put meta data in the epub. What I want to do now is make flash fiction epubs (less than 1000 words) in Sigil. Are there any downsides to doing this? Any quirks (like the meta data need for Kindlegen conversion) for doing it? (Ultimately I want to have an .odt, .docx, .epub and .mobi I can send out to people.) Thanks.

And btw Sigil is THE MOST RELIABLE software for doing this stuff. You guys are awesome!
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:43 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
No, not really. Some metadata is mandatory for the ePUB. I do not know which metadata would be required by Kindlegen.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2017, 03:38 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
No, not really. Some metadata is mandatory for the ePUB. I do not know which metadata would be required by Kindlegen.
@Toxaris: KindleGen uses the same metadata as "regular epubs." (Amazon KDP will automatically add some addional Kindle-specific metadata during the conversion process.)

@Gregg Bell: Some time ago, Amazon introduced so-called Amazon Singles. This format might be suitable for your flash fiction or shorter ebooks.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #4
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Thanks Toxaris. Appreciate it.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post

@Gregg Bell: Some time ago, Amazon introduced so-called Amazon Singles. This format might be suitable for your flash fiction or shorter ebooks.
Thanks Doitsu. I bookmarked that site.
Advert
Old 05-19-2017, 07:36 AM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
@Toxaris: (Amazon KDP will automatically add some addional Kindle-specific metadata during the conversion process.)
I apologize for hijacking the thread, but I'd love to know what those Kindle-specific items might be!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The sale Price?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I apologize for hijacking the thread, but I'd love to know what those Kindle-specific items might be!
Amazon will write several book-specific metadata entries to the MOBI/EXTH headers of MOBI7/AZW3 books, most of which are irrelevant to KDP authors. Some of these entries are used to enforce certain restrictions, which can be removed by editing/deleting specific EXTH entries:

Here are some examples:
  • Changing the EXTH 404 value to 0 will enable TTS for books.
  • Changing the EXTH 401 value to 100 will remove clipping limits.
  • Adding (fake) ASIN numbers to EXTH 113 and EXTH 504 and changing the EXTH 501 value to EBOK, will force eInk readers to display non-Amazon books like Amazon books. It'll also enable the built-in vocabulary app for these books. (These values can be automatically set by Calibre.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Fascinating, thank you. And yes, they are pretty much irrelevant for me, though I do remember hitting a rather rigid clipping restriction in a book that I wished at the time I could have removed!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote