Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #166
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by birch01 View Post
Just one more thing. I love the auto generating of author sort field. But I noticed that the format is like this:

Anna Trokes -> Trokes; Anna

Is that ";" there a typo? Or was it intentoinal? I haven't seen anyone using that syntax before. Usually it's ",". It's not a big deal but if it's not a typo I would love to be able to configure that if in Configuration window or somewhere.
Calibre uses the , to denote multiple authors and the ; to denote lastname; first name. To me, that's the logical thing to do.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #167
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've uploaded a new build of b10 for OS X that should fix the crashes.

@pilotbob: That particular RTF file uses features that are not supported by rtf2xml (the susbsytem that calibre uses to convert RTF files)
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 07:48 PM   #168
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I've uploaded a new build of b10 for OS X that should fix the crashes.

@pilotbob: That particular RTF file uses features that are not supported by rtf2xml (the susbsytem that calibre uses to convert RTF files)
Ah... I figured as much. It was just a fairly large document I had to test. I figured it would work on a simple document.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #169
wheels2040
wheels2040 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 Reader
b10 wont start

Code:
calibre Error
An unexpected error has occurred during execution of the main script

ImportError: dlopen(/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/lxml/etree.so, 2): Symbol not found: _libiconv_close
  Referenced from: /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/lxml/etree.so
  Expected in: dynamic lookup
wheels2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:56 AM   #170
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

is that the new b10 and on what version of OSX is this?
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 05:28 AM   #171
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Calibre uses the , to denote multiple authors and the ; to denote lastname; first name. To me, that's the logical thing to do.
If you see how , and ; is used normally the logical thing would be vice versa since , binds stronger then ; :last1, first1; last2, first2.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:43 AM   #172
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
If you see how , and ; is used normally the logical thing would be vice versa since , binds stronger then ; :last1, first1; last2, first2.
But , is used to denote many items.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:49 AM   #173
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
But , is used to denote many items.
; is also used to seperate many items.

Here

http://chuma.cas.usf.edu/~olson/pms/semicolon.html

it is described how ; is used as a supercomma and the example they give is:
Quote:
Suncom Corporation has subsidiaries in four cities: New York, New York; Wilmington, Ohio; Houston, Texas; and San Francisco, California.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:52 AM   #174
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
If you check the Metadata in MobiPocket Creater it suggests Last Name comma first name and separate by semicolons if more than one author.

So I guess that would be "standard"?
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:19 AM   #175
Gromit
MacOS 10.5.4
Gromit began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
New B10 crashes on startup. Mac OS X 10.5.4
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #176
birch01
birch01 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs500
empty directories

Ok,

Found te problem. The empty directories don't remain when you change metadata. They remain when you delete a book from the library.

As far as the "," and ";" are concerned. AbeBooks for example, uses this format:

Kernighan, Brian W.; Ritchie, Dennis M.

While amazon uses this:

by Brian W. Kernighan (Author), Dennis M. Ritchie (Author)

The local online book stores for example use this format:
J. Farrow, J. Clark

So I guess there's no real standard way to write this. If it's not too hard, I would really appreciate if we could configure which character splits the name and surname and which character splits authors.

One more thing. When it comes to that button for automatic author sort generating. Would it be hard to include support for multiple authors also? That's probably the lowest priority thing since most books only have one author but still, it would be nice.
birch01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:43 AM   #177
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
I have two minor bugs to report, both concern the main search grid.

1) When calibre first starts it always sorts by the Date column.

2) When I edit metadata via the grid and press ENTER to finish the edit. The data in the grid is sorted by the column I edited if the column is Title or Authors. This does not happen for Publisher.

I am running 0.4.84b10 version installed over the 0.4.84b2 on Windows XP SP3 in a VM
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #178
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
New B10 crashes on startup. Mac OS X 10.5.4
Can you post a crash report from the Console with the new b10
Old 09-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #179
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by birch01 View Post
Ok,

Found te problem. The empty directories don't remain when you change metadata. They remain when you delete a book from the library.

As far as the "," and ";" are concerned. AbeBooks for example, uses this format:

Kernighan, Brian W.; Ritchie, Dennis M.

While amazon uses this:

by Brian W. Kernighan (Author), Dennis M. Ritchie (Author)

The local online book stores for example use this format:
J. Farrow, J. Clark

So I guess there's no real standard way to write this. If it's not too hard, I would really appreciate if we could configure which character splits the name and surname and which character splits authors.

One more thing. When it comes to that button for automatic author sort generating. Would it be hard to include support for multiple authors also? That's probably the lowest priority thing since most books only have one author but still, it would be nice.
On deleting a book, the book folder is deleted, but the folder for the author is not. I've changed things so that if the folder for the author is empty, it is also deleted.

Changing the separation character is a bit of a job, as its used in a lot of places. I suggest you open a ticket for it and I will do it at some point. Right now I'm focussed on closing any remaining bugs.

Again open a ticket for multiple author support.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:28 PM   #180
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeEll View Post
I have two minor bugs to report, both concern the main search grid.

1) When calibre first starts it always sorts by the Date column.

2) When I edit metadata via the grid and press ENTER to finish the edit. The data in the grid is sorted by the column I edited if the column is Title or Authors. This does not happen for Publisher.

I am running 0.4.84b10 version installed over the 0.4.84b2 on Windows XP SP3 in a VM
1) Is intentional. Otherwise when people add books they dont get added to the top of the list and I get bug reports about "add books" not working

2) This is also intentional, because sorting by Publisher is unusual, so the default is to not do it.