Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #46
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
I like the way the letters look in Georgia, but the numbers are helter-skelter.

I like the letters and numbers in Charis SIL, but highlighting in my reading app (Marvin 3) does not work well with Charis.

So, my font of choice is Times New Roman ... it meets all my font needs.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:49 PM   #47
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I font hop a lot. My current font is Isidora Alt

https://www.fontspring.com/fonts/latinotype/isidora

There's a free Light weight, which requires bolding for e-ink.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #48
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Because the font does not register with me, when reading, I rarely change the font in books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #49
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I prefer the following typefaces when writing my stories:
  • Times New Roman/Thorndale: Main body
  • Calibri: Headings and subheadings
  • Courier New: Displayed text (such as on computer screens)
  • Comic Sans/Script: Hand written items (like notes)

When it comes to general writing, I prefer to go with a common typeface like Times New Roman. I used to avoid it, but I'm growing to like the way it looks.

Last edited by Solitaire1; 05-01-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #50
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
I like the way the letters look in Georgia, but the numbers are helter-skelter.

I like the letters and numbers in Charis SIL, but highlighting in my reading app (Marvin 3) does not work well with Charis.

So, my font of choice is Times New Roman ... it meets all my font needs.
I strongly agree about the numbers in Georgia. While the letters look good, the old-style numbers make it a no-go for me. It is one of the things that pushed me to going back to Times New Roman.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
The font depends on the eReader in question. On the newer Kindles, I prefer the Bold Ember font. On the older ones which don't have that font, I prefer Helvetica. On my eReaders which include the ability to add fonts, it depends on whether the device allows you to make changes to the font, such as making it bolder. If they do allow the option, most fonts work for me, if not, Charis SIL Modified, or Clear Sans are my fonts of choice.
I highly suggest you stop using Charis SIL Modified. It's now obsolete. I've made a newer version using a newer version of Charis SIL. I added more weight and kerning. Plus, it doesn't have hinting (not needed on eInk). The name of the new version is ChareInk. See the link below to the thread with the font attached.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I font hop a lot. My current font is Isidora Alt

https://www.fontspring.com/fonts/latinotype/isidora

There's a free Light weight, which requires bolding for e-ink.
But you then no longer have all the other versions. Not worth it. Plus, the cost is $126. Way too expensive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #53
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
necromancy, but for a boox max 2, font size starting on 16, and after long test sessions I decided to go with bookerly, noto serif with the eink modification and chareink for serif fonts and opensans or lato for sans fonts.

I tried dozens of fonts and every test went the same way for those 4 fonts, no matter how I tweaked the ereader, the manual bolding of the text, etc.

readability is just the best with those and not even close.

Last edited by whopper; 08-26-2018 at 02:07 AM.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #54
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
TBH, it never occurred to me to have a favorite font. If I had to choose, it would be whatever my Paperwhite defaults to, it seems to work for me. But I don't know what it's called. For that matter, after reading some of the previous posts, I don't even know if the font is consistent between books.

Great! Just one more thing for me to obsess over! You'd think N Korea, China, and Russia would be enough. But N O O, there's always just one more thing!!

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 08-25-2018 at 12:10 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #55
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Default - I like Bookerly as a default Amazon font well enough since it's well-rounded and easy for the eyes to absorb, but it's not my favorite. Personally I can't stand the Amazon Ember font. With the default fonts of the Paperwhite, I would choose between Bookerly and Palatino - which is a nice balance between rounded fonts and narrow letters and a good amount of spacing. Baskerville is a beautiful font but I don't like it as much for hours of reading on e-ink. Tested all with 4 size and bold 1.

For custom fonts, ChareInk is nice for the weighted with the bold turned off. Installed the Non-weighted but for some reason it's not loading, will have to mess with that later. Constantia is pretty but too light and small for me. DejaVy Serif E-Ink is nice but didn't suit me as well as I'd hoped from the reviews. Noto Serif is a top favorite for easy custom and rounded.

It surprised me but my favorite so far is the Linux Biolinum. I'm usually not into narrower fonts but this one with a bold 1 setting is an immediate ease on my eyes and I swear increases my reading speed a bit. Turning it up to 5 size over 4 helps even further, while that's too much screen real estate for the other fonts. My favorite setting with this one is Bold 2, Font Size 5. It's a very basic font but seems well suited for me.

Now if I could just figured out which brightness I prefer on the Paperwhite...

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 08-28-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:45 AM   #56
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
For custom fonts, ChareInk is nice for the weighted with the bold turned off. Installed the Non-weighted but for some reason it's not loading, will have to mess with that later.
You either have to delete ChareInk Weight before loading the non-weighted version or rename one of them, with FontForge for example. They both have the same name and therefore cannot be installed at the same time. I renamed the weighted version with FontForge, that was the only way I could install them both.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:46 AM   #57
hmsnaveen95
hmsnaveen95 began at the beginning.

Device: Holes
I am using Bembo
hmsnaveen95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #58
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I can't seem to read with anything but Amasis. It's a very nice font.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #59
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You either have to delete ChareInk Weight before loading the non-weighted version or rename one of them, with FontForge for example. They both have the same name and therefore cannot be installed at the same time. I renamed the weighted version with FontForge, that was the only way I could install them both.
I see, will try that later. Thank you.

I have now switched fonts again to just Georgia right now, the Linux started bugging me last night. I think I'm just going through an addicted to font change temporarily as well while trying to find a right fit. Georgia is surprisingly nice and I keep forgetting about the font aspect of it.

For now....
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #60
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
I used to prefer Bookerly with the boldness set on 1; however, since the firmware update that allowed us to once again add our own fonts, I've become hooked on Katsunami's DejaVu Serif EInk. It's beautifully black without any extra boldness added at all.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote