Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
wanderbeald
wanderbeald began at the beginning.

Device: none
sci-fi/fantasy book with super interesting main character

Hey guys so I'm looking for books with main character similar to for example Dracula : But he doesnt have to be Dracula or vampire at that I just want some main character that is really interesting for example lives for thousands of years or something like that.

Any recs ?
PS: I didn't really read many books but I have read books by Roger Zelazny already.
wanderbeald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Explorations of extended life/immortality in various forms? You could try some of the Doctor Who novels; there are zillions of them. A somewhat eclectic list of other things: Life After Life (Atkinson), Warbreaker (Sanderson), The Library at Mount Char (Hawkins), Altered Carbon (Morgan), Holy Fire (Sterling), Touch (North), Diaspora (Egan), Wild Seed (Butler), Chasm City (Reynolds), The Alchemyst (Scott), Tuck Everlasting (Babbitt), The Dark Tower (King), Cryptonomicon and the Baroque Cycle (Stephenson). And, if you're into graphic novels, Wolverine and the Buffy/Angel/Spike series.

Last edited by meeera; 03-17-2017 at 09:38 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2017, 10:59 PM   #3
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Here are some scifi/fantasy books with long lived characters.
  • Character: Lazarus Long. Books: Methuselah's Children and Time Enough for Love by Robert A Heinlein.
  • This Immortal by Roger Zelazny
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:26 AM   #4
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Ancillary Justice

http://www.annleckie.com/novel/ancillary-justice/
Quote:
On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest.

Breq is both more than she seems and less than she was. Years ago, she was Justice of Toren–a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of corpse soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy.

An act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with only one fragile human body. And only one purpose–to revenge herself on Anaander Mianaai, many-bodied, near-immortal Lord of the Radch.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Some main characters I find interesting:

Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melniboné
Gene Wolfe's Latro, in Soldier of the Mist
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles series is fantasy featuring a 2,000 year old Druid.https://www.goodreads.com/series/528...uid-chronicles

Ken Grimwood's Replay is about a man who dies at 43 and wakes up in his 18 year old body and continues to replay over and over. Personally, I don't consider this science fiction/fantasy but over 2/3 of Goodreads people tag it that way. An interesting book regardless.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...m_search=true#
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:33 AM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
Ken Grimwood's Replay is about a man who dies at 43 and wakes up in his 18 year old body and continues to replay over and over. Personally, I don't consider this science fiction/fantasy but over 2/3 of Goodreads people tag it that way. An interesting book regardless.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...m_search=true#
When it was released it was sold in the SciFi/Fantasy section of the bookstores I frequented.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:00 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Some main characters I find interesting:

Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melniboné
Gene Wolfe's Latro, in Soldier of the Mist

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The Elric stories were one of my early favorites. The way that Moorcock has grouped them together for the ebooks is very different than the way they were grouped together for the original paperback books back in the 70's.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:53 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The Elric stories were one of my early favorites. The way that Moorcock has grouped them together for the ebooks is very different than the way they were grouped together for the original paperback books back in the 70's.
I agree with everything you say. I enjoyed all of Moorcock's sword & sorcery and early fantasies.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:40 AM   #11
mgbino
Groupie
mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I agree with everything you say. I enjoyed all of Moorcock's sword & sorcery and early fantasies.
Question for those of you that have read Moorcock's stuff. I know that all of his series are tied together somehow, but can each individual series stand alone? I've wanted to check out the Elric, Hawkmoon, and Corum books, but I'm not really interested in some of the others.
mgbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbino View Post
Question for those of you that have read Moorcock's stuff. I know that all of his series are tied together somehow, but can each individual series stand alone? I've wanted to check out the Elric, Hawkmoon, and Corum books, but I'm not really interested in some of the others.
Yes, the individual series stand up alone quite well.

Quite a few of the Elric stories were originally in magazines, so it's more of a series of stand alone stories than a series that needs to be read one after the other. There is a start and a stop in the series, but most of the stories can be read in without reference to the others. I've got the DAW paperbacks published in the late 70's, plus the ebooks.

The Hawkmoon and Corum series (two series of each) are more traditional series. The Hawkmoon series has the four volume set starting with Jewel in the Skull and ending with Runestaff, then the three volume set starting with Count Brass and ending with Quest for Tanelorn.

The Corum series has two three volume sets, the Sword series and what I like to call the Celtic series (Bull and the Spear, Oak and the Ram, Sword and the Stallion)

The Erkose set is the other major Eternal Champion, though the Von Bek set is also tied in. I think that the Von Bek set is the only one not available in ebook

Last edited by pwalker8; 03-22-2017 at 09:08 AM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #13
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Breq from Ann Leckie's Ancillary series is hands down one of my favorite sci-fi characters of recent memory.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:45 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbino View Post

In my opinion, yes. However, I read those early fantasies when they first came out.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #15
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Breq from Ann Leckie's Ancillary series is hands down one of my favorite sci-fi characters of recent memory.
Little posts like this are what I like about this forum. I find interesting new books to read that I've never heard about. Thanks for the recommendation!
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote