Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #31
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Grabbed it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:39 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please note that the subject of this thread is recommendations of books that are in the MobileRead library. Notices about other deals, welcome as they of course are, should be posted in the "Deals" forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #33
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please note that the subject of this thread is recommendations of books that are in the MobileRead library. Notices about other deals, welcome as they of course are, should be posted in the "Deals" forum.
How was I supposed to know that? The thread title has multple interpretations. The interpretation that made the most sense to me at the time was "books to add to your library as recommended by mobileread members". If you want to communicate with folks like me who perceive a much larger slice of reality (many more possibilities), you must rename this thread to say a specific interpretation as you demonstrated here. The title should be literaly "Recommendations of books that are in the mobilread library". Reprimanding me as you did above is unfair discrimination due to poor communication of the title author, not my fault.

Sorry that I did not guess the correct limited point of view from which to interpret the meaning of the title. Say what you mean, and mean what you say, and we can quite literally avoid such problems in the future. Read the links in my signature to learn how we can bridge our communications gap.If you cannot communicate clearly, then I guess I should stick to the Kindle Developers Corner forum where other geeks hang out and I only have problems when NeuroTypical folk wander in there, misunderstand my posts, and react badly -- thankfully rare. I will choose the safest course of action, and retreat to the corner you designated for developers like me. We have our own geek moderators in that corner and we understand the geek superset of accurate and precise English there.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-16-2016 at 08:24 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:08 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The meaning of the thread title is entirely self-evident to everyone. Your off-topic post has been deleted.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #35
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please don't be an ass. The meaning of the thread title is entirely self-evident to everyone. Your off-topic post has been deleted.
Did you even read my post before calling me hurtful names? The deleted post was intended to HELP people. Sorry if we cannot understand each other...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-16-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Advert
Old 06-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #36
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Alrighty. Back on track we are with this quote from the very first post of this thread, thanks to OP Yutsuki:

I couldn't help noticing today's activity in the Announcements thread "Ebook uploads exceed 30,000". Not only did it point out to me that there's a wonderful resource for proofed public domain titles on this very website, but it piqued my interest in what's on offer.

I've already typed in a few names to see what's been uploaded -- Austen, Dickens, Brontë. However, I thought that this would be a great opportunity: What are some of your personal favourites that are on offer, right here at MobileRead?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #37
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I would have to say the one by Jerome K. Jerome, titled "Three Men in a Boat."

This is a wonderfully and lovingly told story, and very humorous.

Highly recommended!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #38
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Alrighty. Back on track we are with this quote from the very first post of this thread, thanks to OP Yutsuki:

I couldn't help noticing today's activity in the Announcements thread "Ebook uploads exceed 30,000". Not only did it point out to me that there's a wonderful resource for proofed public domain titles on this very website, but it piqued my interest in what's on offer.

I've already typed in a few names to see what's been uploaded -- Austen, Dickens, Brontë. However, I thought that this would be a great opportunity: What are some of your personal favourites that are on offer, right here at MobileRead?
I understand that now, but not at first. I am interested in exploring the mobileread library now that I became aware of it, after I dared to venture outside the "amazon kindle" forums. Learning to communicate with non geeks will be difficult for me, but I will try desperately to fit in. Thanks.

Is there a sci-fi section of the mobileread library? I do not know where to begin looking -- this is so vast and unfamilar...
Old 06-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

From the blue bar near the top of the screen, select "E-Books", then "Browse Latest Uploads". You can then sort the listing by genre. It's not the world's greatest search interface; we've been waiting for years for the absent site owner to replace it with an OPDS front end.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:57 AM   #40
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I would have to say the one by Jerome K. Jerome, titled "Three Men in a Boat."

This is a wonderfully and lovingly told story, and very humorous.

Highly recommended!
+1. Not only a very good read, but the copy here on MobileRead is also a wonderfully well constructed EPUB (embedded images, fancy Initials). A very impressive job.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #41
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I would recommend "The Woman in White" and "The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins. Wonderful stories, told in an interesting manner.

If you're not already familiar with Edgar Rice Burroughs and H. Rider Haggard, and enjoy adventure, fantasy and sci-fi, then I'd thoroughly recommend the omnibus collections of their novels. I've enjoyed revisiting these very much - saving wear and tear on my very old paper editions .

One of the great pleasures of choosing from MR is the care that has been taken to produce the files.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
If you're not already familiar with Edgar Rice Burroughs and H. Rider Haggard, and enjoy adventure, fantasy and sci-fi, then I'd thoroughly recommend the omnibus collections of their novels. I've enjoyed revisiting these very much - saving wear and tear on my very old paper editions .
I'm afraid that the Burroughs ones aren't there at the moment because, although all Burroughs' books are in the UK public domain (which is where I am) they are not in the more general life+70 public domain which is what we now work to. They will reappear on 1st Jan 2021.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #43
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
....... One of the great pleasures of choosing from MR is the care that has been taken to produce the files.
Agreed

I've read and enjoyed a number of ebooks from the MR Library, including:
Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K Jerome
Bulldog Drummond - HC McNeile (Sapper)
Brewsters Millions - George Barr McCutcheon
The Prisoner of Zenda - Anthony Hope
and others

Each book has been carefully prepared and has been a pleasure to read.

With great thanks to all the contributors
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #44
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Best Science Fiction in the MR Library?

I am seeking recommendations/opinions on what some of the best science fiction is here in the MR library.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:30 AM   #45
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
One of the great pleasures of choosing from MR is the care that has been taken to produce the files.
I'm only beginning to understand the work that has gone into the ebooks. I'm reading Les Miserables and Moby Dick.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote