Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
C'mon, Jon. Pimping your own contribution? Is that really your favorite book in the whole Mobileread library?
It's one of them from what I've read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:56 PM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
C'mon, Jon. Pimping your own contribution? Is that really your favorite book in the whole Mobileread library?
And a book from the middle of a series.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2016, 06:02 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And a book from the middle of a series.
It's a sequel to the Star Trek movie A Voyage Home. So if you've seen the movie, then you are good to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:51 PM   #19
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Nothing wrong with contributing a book you like a lot to the Library or with recommending it.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I'd probably go with the iconic Under the Red Robe.
Thanks for the recommendation. This is a terrific read for those who like turn of the last century romance.

I hadn't realized that unlike The Prisoner of Zenda and Graustark, this was in The Scarlet Pimpernel vein of historical fiction. It's always nice to feel you've learned a bit while being entertained by a swashbuckler.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2016, 04:23 AM   #21
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
There are several works by Thorne Smith in the library -- and all are very good!

You might want to start with The Jovial Ghosts. This is better known as Topper from the movie and television adaptations. Even today it remains very, very funny -- and somewhat subversive.

Quote:
It all begins when Cosmo Topper, a law-abiding, mild-mannered bank manager, decides to buy a secondhand car, only to find it haunted by the ghosts of its previous owners--the reckless, feckless, frivolous couple who met their untimely demise when the car careened into an oak tree. The ghosts, George and Marion Kerby, make it their mission to rescue Topper from the drab "summer of suburban Sundays" that is his life--and they commence a series of madcap adventures that leave Topper, and anyone else who crosses their path, in a whirlwind of discomfiture and delight.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82967
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #22
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. This is a terrific read for those who like turn of the last century romance.

I hadn't realized that unlike The Prisoner of Zenda and Graustark, this was in The Scarlet Pimpernel vein of historical fiction. It's always nice to feel you've learned a bit while being entertained by a swashbuckler.
Weyman is good fun. I read several of them in my distant youth, and recently reread The House of the Wolf which is a corker! Also The Man in Black just because I remembered it so vividly from reading it as a kid.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Weyman is good fun. I read several of them in my distant youth, and recently reread The House of the Wolf which is a corker! Also The Man in Black just because I remembered it so vividly from reading it as a kid.
it's a pity I missed out on Weyman (never heard of him! ) in my Orczy/Hope/McCutcheon/Sabatini adolescence, as I'd have loved him as I still love the The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Prisoner of Zenda and so forth. Some books benefit highly from being read at the perfect age. That said, far better late than never!

Thank you for the recommendations.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #24
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are welcome! Luckily my mother had rather a weakness for swashbucklers, so I had plenty of her books to read - Hope, Sabatini, Weyman, Orczy. McCutcheon is one I haven't read, so plan to remedy that.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

You are welcome! Luckily my mother had rather a weakness for swashbucklers, so I had plenty of her books to read - Hope, Sabatini, Weyman, Orczy. McCutcheon is one I haven't read, so plan to remedy that.
Perhaps worth noting that Delphi have recently released a "Collected Works" of Orczy. Includes lots of stuff that's not in the MR library.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-19-2016 at 10:42 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:

McCutcheon is the American Hope and he may not have gone abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps worth noting that Delphi have recently released a "Collected Works" of Orczy. Includes lots of stuff that's not in the MR library.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check and see what I'm missing from my gleanings from Gutenberg et al.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:21 AM   #27
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Kenneth Grahame: The Headswoman - a funny, romantic and cute little story about executions -- and suprisingly feminist, given that it's published in 1898.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:37 AM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
a funny, romantic and cute little story about executions.
Uh, ok!

This is one of the all-time great come-ons!
Old 04-24-2016, 03:37 AM   #29
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

I'm off to find it immediately!
Old 04-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #30
Historiann
Connoisseur
Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Kenneth Grahame: The Headswoman - a funny, romantic and cute little story about executions -- and suprisingly feminist, given that it's published in 1898.
Thanks for the recommendation! I read this last night and really enjoyed it.
Historiann is offline   Reply With Quote