Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #646
JFeole
Connoisseur
JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo_Aura_H2O, Kobo_Aura_One, Kobo Sage
hi Tshering,

Something else I noticied on my KA1. I decided this weekend I would create some collections, as I had not tried that yet, and created a few collections, and assigned books to catagories. After doing this, I then dropped out to KSM. Then later i wanted to read a bit, and selected start nickel, and I got same behaviour as when I tried to update to 4.4.9298, tries to start, get 2 squares, then drops back to KSM I was able to fix by doing what you had last suggested.

Thanks,
John Feole
JFeole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:23 AM   #647
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nook_nerd View Post
hi Tshering,

Something else I noticied on my KA1. I decided this weekend I would create some collections, as I had not tried that yet, and created a few collections, and assigned books to catagories. After doing this, I then dropped out to KSM. Then later i wanted to read a bit, and selected start nickel, and I got same behaviour as when I tried to update to 4.4.9298, tries to start, get 2 squares, then drops back to KSM I was able to fix by doing what you had last suggested.

Thanks,
John Feole
Am I guessing correctly that one of the collections you created contains images from kbmenupngs?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #648
JFeole
Connoisseur
JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo_Aura_H2O, Kobo_Aura_One, Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Am I guessing correctly that one of the collections you created contains images from kbmenupngs?

Actually..yes..i created a collection called Utilities, and
dropped them in there..

Is that a no-no? I shouldn't have?

Thanks,
John Feole
JFeole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #649
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook_nerd View Post
Actually..yes..i created a collection called Utilities, and
dropped them in there..

Is that a no-no? I shouldn't have?

Thanks,
John Feole
I just asked to be sure. You created the Utilities collection, and at some point nickel read some of the files in kbmenupngs in order to create a tile for the collection on the home screen, thereby triggering fmon. Maybe I should address this problem and how to solve it in the install instructions in post 1 of this thread.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #650
tshering
Wizard

Are there any suggestions which default font size to set for the Aura H2O Edition 2?
Advert
Old 05-26-2017, 01:00 AM   #651
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Not working properly on H2O Edition 2?

I just got my H2O today and immediately wanted to try install KoReader. Never done so before so I'm not sure if this is expected, but upon boot the KSM menu is upside down (so the device must be flipped 180 degrees). Also, the menus don't seem to do anything - touching them doesn't work - but after a few seconds the device starts up Nickel (looks like a time out action?). Has anyone got this to work on an edition 2?
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:34 AM   #652
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver View Post
I just got my H2O today and immediately wanted to try install KoReader. Never done so before so I'm not sure if this is expected, but upon boot the KSM menu is upside down (so the device must be flipped 180 degrees). Also, the menus don't seem to do anything - touching them doesn't work - but after a few seconds the device starts up Nickel (looks like a time out action?). Has anyone got this to work on an edition 2?
Thank you for the report. I will update the patch file this evening, or maybe tomorrow. I will then give further instructions how to install it.
As for starting nickel, when there is not user interaction for about 20 seconds nickel is started automatically. Until the new patch is available, just wait 20 seconds after powering on, without touching the screen (Since the screen is flipped, and the touch coordinates are not flipped, you could hit some menu entry per chance, when poking around.). As a further part of the safety precautions, KSM starts every second time you power the device on, every other time nickel is immediately started. You can change this once KSM is working correctly.

Last edited by tshering; 05-26-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #653
tshering
Wizard

I uploaded an updated version of the KSM 08 patch.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:07 AM   #654
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Patch not working on Aura H2O Edition 2

Thanks for the update. However, I installed the new patch from KSM08_ext_aura_one_04g. Display is still inverted and menu items still can't be selected.

What does work: I can click on the 'Exit Nickel' pseudo book in Nickel to get back to the menu. However, as the menu itself doesn't work, at that point I have to power cycle to get back to Nickel. Also, booting to start menu is happening every second time only.

Using the 'Power off' pseudo book leaves the display with a band of diagonal stripes.

Last edited by geekraver; 05-27-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:53 AM   #655
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Is the touch not being registered at all? The "normal" inversion problem is that touch isn't inverted while the picture is. So if you pressed at the top of the screen (bottom of the displayed picture) you might still be able to press menu items, just not in a straightforward manner.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #656
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for the update. However, I installed the new patch from KSM08_ext_aura_one_04g. Display is still inverted and menu items still can't be selected.
Could you try the version I upload to this post? Do it exactly as described for H2O Edition 2 here. If this does not work, we have to investigate the problem systematically.
Quote:
Also, booting to start menu is happening every second time only.
And this is good so, otherwise it would be rather difficult to install patch or update files in the current situation.

Edit: I just saw in your profile that you have a Kobo Glo to. Do not install this patch to the Glo!
Attached Files
File Type: zip KSM08_ext_aura_one_04g2.zip (13.7 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by tshering; 05-27-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #657
geekraver
Addict

Tried the new update. Still upside down. It looks like touch does work but its not clear how - I have tried all four corners with no clear success, but on one occasion I did get "Please handle your update files" instead of going to Nickel, so something must have registered somewhere.

Haven't had a Kobo Glo for a long time; been using a Kindle last couple of years, but decided to get the new H2O for the waterproofing and so I could try KoReader out without jailbreaking. I'll update my profile.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #658
geekraver
Addict

Something worth mentioning - I am applying these patches successively as you release them, without doing factory resets in between. Not sure if that plays any role.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #659
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Something worth mentioning - I am applying these patches successively as you release them, without doing factory resets in between. Not sure if that plays any role.
There is no need to do a factory reset.
Quote:
Tried the new update. Still upside down. It looks like touch does work but its not clear how - I have tried all four corners with no clear success, but on one occasion I did get "Please handle your update files" instead of going to Nickel, so something must have registered somewhere.
You hit exactly the "start nickle." That the "Please handle your update files" message popped up shows that the patch has not yet been installed. After the next power-off/on it will be installed (since the rotated screen prevents you from handling your updates in KSM, you have to wait for the next power circle). I guess while I am writing this you did already power circle your device. Did it help?
Old 05-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #660
geekraver
Addict

Power cycling does not help, no.