Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
novemberei
novemberei began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Question [greenhand]How can I download PDF and ePub files with my default web browser?

Kindle Paperwhite.
Is there a hack for that? Or can I just modify a *.ini by myself?
Help!
novemberei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I dunno. I just use skipstone. I think that stuff about filetypes is engineered into mesquite. Or is it in appreg.db?
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
fil9998
Enthusiast
fil9998 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'm also very interested in this topic.
Is there anyone that figured out how to download epubs and pdfs from stock paperwhite's browser?

many thanks guys.
fil9998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil9998 View Post
I'm also very interested in this topic.
Is there anyone that figured out how to download epubs and pdfs from stock paperwhite's browser?

many thanks guys.
Try opening /usr/bin/mesquite with your fav hex editor, and search for the string "mobipocket"

Then modify the EXISTING string values (eg .azw1) to epub and pdf.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
And remember to make a backup. If you mess with your KPW, always keep in mind that there is no "easy" debrick.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #6
fil9998
Enthusiast

Hi there.

thank you so much:

but how can i mount /usr/bin/mesquite ?? connecting my paperwhite to pc via USB cable it does not show that directory.

also: How to make a backup before editing?

thank you so much
Old 06-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Yasen6275
Yasen6275 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
jailbrake/usbnet(work)/ssh
Yasen6275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
fil9998
Enthusiast

ok. thank you
Old 06-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
novemberei

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
I dunno. I just use skipstone. I think that stuff about filetypes is engineered into mesquite. Or is it in appreg.db?
I'm not very familiar with mobileread. it is quite different from other forums... so I didn't even know there had been a reply for my silly question

anyway, thanks for your advices, i'll give it a try

Last edited by novemberei; 06-16-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
novemberei

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
And remember to make a backup. If you mess with your KPW, always keep in mind that there is no "easy" debrick.
I think the only thing forum's wiki didn't told me is how backup... I installed usbnetworking and it works well with winscp(I'm not a Dev. and use a Windows PC), did it means copy all things in root directory out? will it work?

you are a Dev of Koreader right? Thanks for the efforts of your team!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Modifying the root filesystem is always a risk. In newer firmware, the browser might be used for displaying things besides the "browser app". So handle everything with care.

What I had in mind was to make backups of the files you are modifying, like e.g. the mesquite binary. Probably you won't need strictly all things from root. But then it might provide an interesting overview over the system.

PS: Yep, I'm a dev of Koreader - and you're welcome, of course. I have to add that others were much more active lately when it comes to contributing. It's become a community effort (thankfully!).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
Nickx
Nickx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi+3G, Kindle PW Wifi
Only needed PDF downloads. but heres what i did.

I did this with myts and mntroot.
This will not step through everything, you should be able to fill in, or else you should be doing this probably.
this is not meant to be followed as a step by step guide, its hinting at what to do, and the methods may be subjective based on users prefered methods.

1. open a terminal, or ssh, and make a backup of /usr/bin/browserd
2. create a second copy to open in a hex editor.
3. search the file for "mobipocket"(this is the one i edited)

4. you should see a MIME/HTTP type header "application/x-mobipocket-ebook"

what I did was kept "application/x-m" there and replaced the rest of the string, "obipocket-ebook" with 00 hex, which in most hex editors should be represented by a "."

5. save.
6. remove the old browserd, replace it with the new one.
7. reboot.

heres what i did in myts

#: cp /usr/bin/browserd/ /mnt/us/browserd.bak
#: cp /usr/bin/browserd/ /mnt/us/

did the previously mentioned steps(1-7), editting the /mnt/us/browserd that was created and went back to myts, assuming the mount was lost

#: mntroot rw
#: rm /usr/bin/browserd/
#: cp /mnt/us/browserd /usr/bin/

reboot.

if you messed up you have the .bak .
Nickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #13
aditya3098
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickx View Post
Only needed PDF downloads. but heres what i did.

I did this with myts and mntroot.
This will not step through everything, you should be able to fill in, or else you should be doing this probably.
this is not meant to be followed as a step by step guide, its hinting at what to do, and the methods may be subjective based on users prefered methods.

1. open a terminal, or ssh, and make a backup of /usr/bin/browserd
2. create a second copy to open in a hex editor.
3. search the file for "mobipocket"(this is the one i edited)

4. you should see a MIME/HTTP type header "application/x-mobipocket-ebook"

what I did was kept "application/x-m" there and replaced the rest of the string, "obipocket-ebook" with 00 hex, which in most hex editors should be represented by a "."

5. save.
6. remove the old browserd, replace it with the new one.
7. reboot.

heres what i did in myts

#: cp /usr/bin/browserd/ /mnt/us/browserd.bak
#: cp /usr/bin/browserd/ /mnt/us/

did the previously mentioned steps(1-7), editting the /mnt/us/browserd that was created and went back to myts, assuming the mount was lost

#: mntroot rw
#: rm /usr/bin/browserd/
#: cp /mnt/us/browserd /usr/bin/

reboot.

if you messed up you have the .bak .
That's NOT the kindle touch or paperwhite. It still will be useful for someone/
Old 06-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
icantbebothered
Penguin
icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
Dsmid aleready made a free download hack for k2, 3 and 4.
icantbebothered is offline   Reply With Quote