Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-24-2007, 08:00 AM   #31
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe the Wuthering Heights entry is attempting to give the file a null name, which results in the error. Could you take a look at the Download Guide and see if it's missing the filename?

Thanks.
Think I know where the problem is coming from. The "ë" from Brontë might be the problem. Could you test with another e-book from one of the Brontë sisters ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #32
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Think I know where the problem is coming from. The "ë" from Brontë might be the problem. Could you test with another e-book from one of the Brontë sisters ?
I think you've nailed it. Same error when trying to snag "Jane Eyre". I also was unable to get the book by Stephane Mallarmé.

Is this something you can fix at your end?

Last edited by elmoglick; 12-24-2007 at 08:33 PM.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #33
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post
I think you've nailed it. Same error when trying to snag "Jane Eyre".

Is this something you can fix at your end?
Yeah, I guess I can escape the characters that can be a problem on the Kindle. I need a way to find all the characters that are not supported though...
Old 12-24-2007, 10:18 PM   #34
runciter
runciter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Also another data point that is more a function/operation of the Kindle and operator error. I encounter the same error message that zartemis encountered, but it was with Orwell/1984 which I knew to be good/valid. The problem occurred because I started to download the file, then I went to another page on the web (on the Kindle) and the file/download did not complete. When I went to download it again, zartemis' error said to delete it from the Content Manager. Because it didn't complete, it didn't show up under the CM. I had to hook it up to my computer via USB (how old school) and then delete the truncated .mobi file.
runciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:26 AM   #35
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by runciter View Post
Also another data point that is more a function/operation of the Kindle and operator error. I encounter the same error message that zartemis encountered, but it was with Orwell/1984 which I knew to be good/valid. The problem occurred because I started to download the file, then I went to another page on the web (on the Kindle) and the file/download did not complete. When I went to download it again, zartemis' error said to delete it from the Content Manager. Because it didn't complete, it didn't show up under the CM. I had to hook it up to my computer via USB (how old school) and then delete the truncated .mobi file.
Well, I guess that I can understand why they call the browser "experimental" now...
Advert
Old 12-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #36
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

OK, here's the upcoming updates to the guide:
- escaping the characters that the Kindle doesn't support. I don't exactly have a list of those characters, I'll escape the accents, it should be a pretty good start.
- links on the author name. This way if you've found a book and you'd like to see what else is available for this author, it'll be much easier.
- once we've launched our mobile website: I'll link the types to the right webpage on our website. This way it'll be easy to jump from the guide to the website.

Anyone found another bug, or would like to share an idea ?
Old 12-26-2007, 12:37 PM   #37
Laurel
Laurel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Amazon Kindle
English and French versions

Hadrien, I love what you're doing!

I just tried to download La Dame aux Camelias. My Kindle would not accept it, saying I already have a file with the same name. I have the English translation, but not the original French. Is my Kindle translating on me?

Laurel
Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #38
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
Hadrien, I love what you're doing!

I just tried to download La Dame aux Camelias. My Kindle would not accept it, saying I already have a file with the same name. I have the English translation, but not the original French. Is my Kindle translating on me?

Laurel
No, I think that it's the same problem than with the Brontë sisters. It's "La Dame aux Camélias", in this case the "é" might be the problem.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #39
Laurel
Laurel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
No, I think that it's the same problem than with the Brontë sisters. It's "La Dame aux Camélias", in this case the "é" might be the problem.
Thanks. I took the accent off, and now I have the French version. The English version has disappeared, however.

FALSE ALARM--Now I have both. It just took awhile for Kindle to register them. Laurel

Last edited by Laurel; 12-26-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:36 AM   #40
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

OK, updated the first message on the topic:
- characters that are not supported on the Kindle are now escaped
- added a help page on Feedbooks
- there's links on the authors now
Old 12-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #41
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Thumbs up

Quote:
OK, updated the first message on the topic:
- characters that are not supported on the Kindle are now escaped
- added a help page on Feedbooks
- there's links on the authors now
Perfect. My wife is now enjoying Wuthering Heights.

A tip of the hat to you, sir!

Earl
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #42
lubberts
lubberts is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505, soon to be Kindle user!
I've just had a fantastic idea form...I have tons of books from the sf ebooks website, webscriptions.net. All of these I have purchased legally, and was able to convienently re-downlowad them to my computer in the kindle friendly mobipocket format. I have nearly 500 of these books (including the ones from the baen free cds and free library) And while they all fit, it is tough to really navigate them well, there are lots of series, and I find my self constantly visiting my "series list" document on my kindle in order to find out which book is supposed to be next chronologically, and then I have to go back to the home page, and either search for the book, or flip the page some odd number of times to reach the right book.
I am pretty un-familuar with programming, html, and the mobipocket format, but seeing this awesome easily usable document got me thinking. Would there be a way for me to either
A) create a mobipocket document on my kindle that has links that actually take me to that particular book without my having to manually go back out and navigate it, or
B) create one giant mobipocket file perhaps, that has all the books from one of the series in one book called "such and such series" and then the table of contents actually links me to those books within the file, or (ideally)
C) be able to create my own online library of sorts with these books stored on a server somewhere, and me with the ability to download them using this document in the order I specify?

Anyone know?
lubberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #43
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubberts View Post
I've just had a fantastic idea form...I have tons of books from the sf ebooks website, webscriptions.net. All of these I have purchased legally, and was able to convienently re-downlowad them to my computer in the kindle friendly mobipocket format. I have nearly 500 of these books (including the ones from the baen free cds and free library) And while they all fit, it is tough to really navigate them well, there are lots of series, and I find my self constantly visiting my "series list" document on my kindle in order to find out which book is supposed to be next chronologically, and then I have to go back to the home page, and either search for the book, or flip the page some odd number of times to reach the right book.
I am pretty un-familuar with programming, html, and the mobipocket format, but seeing this awesome easily usable document got me thinking. Would there be a way for me to either
A) create a mobipocket document on my kindle that has links that actually take me to that particular book without my having to manually go back out and navigate it, or
B) create one giant mobipocket file perhaps, that has all the books from one of the series in one book called "such and such series" and then the table of contents actually links me to those books within the file, or (ideally)
C) be able to create my own online library of sorts with these books stored on a server somewhere, and me with the ability to download them using this document in the order I specify?

Anyone know?
A) Should be possible but it's not. This works with Mobipocket files on the Mobipocket reader for Windows, but it doesn't work on the Kindle or the Cybook.
B) Possible. That's what people who upload omnibus editions usually do on this forum.
C) Possible too, it would basically work like the download guide for Feedbooks.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #44
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Hadrien,

You sir are amazing. Thanks, what a great job. The only thing I can add would be links for categories. Ie: sci-fi, classics, etc.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #45
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
Hadrien,

You sir are amazing. Thanks, what a great job. The only thing I can add would be links for categories. Ie: sci-fi, classics, etc.

-d
It's planned. But I don't want to add this directly in the guide: I believe that for the categories, it's very important to be able to list the latest books added in this category or the one that are the most downloaded.

Once our mobile edition is ready, I'll link the categories in the guide to the website, and I'll also add a few direct links to the mobile edition in front of the guide. This way, you'll seamlessly move from the guide to the mobile edition, depending on what you're looking for.